Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Severe back pain, itchy legs, severe joint pain, fatigue to name a few

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 6 Replies
  • Posted By: BrewerMatty
  • December 7, 2010
  • 10:47 PM

Good Afternoon everyone..

I am writting on behalf of my wife who I am worries sick about. For the last 6 months she has been battling something that has doctors baffled. She is 30 years old and very fit and healthy.

Recently this summer we noticed when she had a glass of wine she would experience 10-15 min of severe back pain. She has since stopped any alcohol intake, however symptoms have persisted. They include

Back pain from Alcohol
Night Sweats
Itchy Legs/Feet
Severe Joint Pain
Fatigue
Chest pain - shortness of breath from alcohol
We have been to every sort of Doctor imaginable. MRI's, CT scans ect. They discovered small 'nodes' on her lungs and liver, but are not concerned. She has a colonoscopy (sp?) set for next week. And was diagnosed with Cron's Disease years ago but has not had a flare up.

I don't know where to turn or what to think.. I just need to do something to help my wife! Any help would be great!!!!

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• Hi,good for you to reach out, you are doing the right thing. its really hard as a spouse to watch someone go through the diagnosis process. heres a little infothe nodules could indicate RA but, the itchy skin, joint pain, and specifically the back pain would lead me to think she might have psoriatic arthritis. but if she does it is presenting in an uncommon way and is easily missed when it does.some people have psoriasis for decades, then 10% of them will develop psoriatic arthritis in their 40s-50sbut others will have joint pain for 20 yrs then get the skin rashes, or the rashes will be small, not very noticable, or hidden on the scalp or inside the nose. if you take my username above its one of my hotmail accounts. if you email me with something from the post in the subject line i can try to offer more help than this summary. i have a few chronic issues and a friend with about 6 conditions involving skin and joints. hopefully i can help a lot of blood work and some xrays/mri's are needed to really diagnose. if the joint pain is all newer they wont see damage yet, its microscopic but very painful. i hope i helped
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 8, 2010
    • 06:19 AM
    Flag this Response
  • ps. alcohol increases inflammation, that could be why it made things worse. if its auto immune in nature that causes fatiguethis is in addition to my post a few minutes ago
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 8, 2010
    • 06:22 AM
    Flag this Response
  • did you see a rheumatologist specifically? you have to find a good one, that is soooo important! try to get a referral from someone you know.i posted something much longer but i wasnt signed in, if it isnt up next time i sign on i will try to remember what i wrote and add to this.
    safyreshel 8 Replies
    • December 8, 2010
    • 06:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi,Has Fybromyalgia been investigated?I have very similar symptom, the back pain after alcohol really rings a bell! I convinced myself I had liver cancer but a scan of liver, pancreas and spleen last year was all clear.I suffer fatugue/insomnia, joint pains, tingly hands and feet, headaches and gatric problems. My mother suffered from Fibromyalgia too but doctors in UK don't tend to take it seriously.It is not a life threatning or crippling disease but the symptoms are sometimes difficult to live with.See what your doc says. it's far more common in females than men and not uncommon.Good luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 8, 2010
    • 07:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you to everyone who replied... Got back from the Doctor this evening. The performed a lymph node biopsy and the biopsy came back positive for nodular hodgkin's lymphoma. We are meeting with the doctors again to discuss the next steps from here. Either way, it is going to be a long road ahead. Please keep Betsy and I in your prayers and any positive energy you can send us would be appreciated. Matthew
    BrewerMatty 2 Replies
    • December 10, 2010
    • 04:44 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you to everyone who replied... Got back from the Doctor this evening. The performed a lymph node biopsy and the biopsy came back positive for nodular hodgkin's lymphoma. We are meeting with the doctors again to discuss the next steps from here. Either way, it is going to be a long road ahead. Please keep Betsy and I in your prayers and any positive energy you can send us would be appreciated. MatthewMatthew I am sorry your family has to deal with all this and am sending positive energy your way. She is very lucky to have a supportive husband. I have been dealing with dr.s not knowing what happening to me for years and my husband just stopped listening. Be strong for her, it will be hard road but get as much support as you can.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 11, 2010
    • 00:12 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement