Discussions By Condition: Repiratory conditions

Chronic shortness of breath/clearing of throat

Posted In: Repiratory conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • November 17, 2010
  • 11:11 PM

Hello all, I am a 19 year old male who suffers from chronic shortness of breath and throat clearing. The shortness of breath started when I was 16 years old. I went to the doctor for it and they ran blood tests, did a pulmonary test, and a chest x ray. They said everything was fine with me and that it was probably just in my head. Since then I have gone back to the doctor for this same reason about once a year. I had another x ray last year which came back clear..again. This time the doctor prescribed me with an in haler (even though he does not think i have asthma??) and told me to take two puffs a day. This did not help either. The shortness of breath has made me extremely anxious, I worry about it a lot as is to be expected from someone who cannot breathe.

I also developed this constant need to clear my throat last year. It irritates my vocal cords making my voice extremely rough. It feels as though there is mucus in the back of my throat, however when i try to cough it up, nothing comes up.

I also suffer from chronic fatigue. I believe this could be a part of my anxiety about my breathing but I am not sure. I seem to have a decreased appetite as well, and have found my self having an irregular diet (eating a lot one day and having no appetite whatsoever the next day). I also get a burning feeling in my throat after eating most of the time, and find my self burping a lot, and burping up vomit which goes up my throat but never comes out. (kind of like symptoms of heart burn or acid reflux)

Also I used to exercise a lot but have found it hard to do lately. I have not gained or lost a substantial amount of weight.

Does anyone have any advice for me? My doctors seem to blow me off even when I persist that something is wrong. I cant stop worrying and I want answers!

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement