Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Dizziness, insomnia, sinus/head pressure

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 5 Replies
  • Posted By: rocknnroll
  • November 9, 2010
  • 05:09 PM

Hello all,

I've been struggling with these symptoms now for...well over a month, at least. The dizziness started first, seldom at first then more and more noticeable. Over the past two weeks they've become serious and are keeping me from living my life.

I've been to my primary care physician three times about this problem and once to urgent care. My GP seems to think it's a sinus infection -- been through two runs of antibiotics, decongestants, nasal steroids, etc; no relief from anything yet (except maybe the zofran injection I received at the UC clinic).

I think that part of my problem is that my symptoms are somewhat vague and I have trouble describing them. I have a general sensation of dizziness nearly constantly. It seems to be better when either lying down or standing up/walking around and worse when sitting -- especially in front of the computer. I can still drive just fine, at least for now. I'm not 100% certain it's what is considered "vertigo", though I do at times experience the sensation of movement when I'm at rest.

The feelings of dizziness are generally accompanied by pressure in my head -- most prominently in the forehead but radiating to the back of my skull. In general I'd say the pressure is in the top half of my head, from the forehead to the ears to the back. My doctor has attributed this sensation to sinus pressure, but a sinus x-ray revealed "no problems" as he put it -- which leaves me with something of a contradiction. At my appointment in the morning he attributed the dizziness to sinus pressure, but later his nurse called with the results stating "good news, your xray looked fine!" leaving me confused and more worried.

The doctor did simple balance tests and tracked my eye movements with his flashlight. He said there were no neurological symptoms that would merit further testing (CT, MRI) or make him suspect anything serious like a tumor. While this was reassuring, I still want to make sure something isn't being missed.

In addition to the constant dizziness, I've also had trouble sleeping. I wake up dizzy, or sweating like crazy, my heart racing. When I do sleep I have awful dreams or dreams that occur in that sort of half asleep/half awake state.

And finally...could this all be anxiety? I recognize that I have problems with anxiety, and I know that my worry and panic can make my symptoms worse (I do feel somewhat better when relaxed, after all). At the same time, I feel like there is something physiological going on here as well. I've never had anxiety or a sinus infection make me feel this terrible before.

Thanks for any insight you all might have.

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• I certainly understand why your PCP thought of a sinus infection first. Your initial symptoms are like a sinus infection. However, with your statement that you feel better when you are relaxed makes me wonder. I would certainly see a mental health professional and have it investigated further. Just my opinion.
    firefnx 4 Replies
    • November 9, 2010
    • 06:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Rocknnroll...these seem almost identical to my initial symptoms. See my thread on unexplained fever, dizziness, lightheadedness. I have no answers for you, as I still do not have an answer, but you're not alone and you can see some of the tests I have had done and maybe ask your docs to rule some of them out. It could be one of so many things.Good luck and God bless!! :)
    jsieleman75 11 Replies
    • November 9, 2010
    • 11:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey I have the whole dizziness sometimes not to strong but def have anxiety n sinus problems u will be surprised what sinus pressure can do and anxiety makes Everything 100 times worse than what it is trust me I know that much I aint a doctor so can't tell u for sure but sometimes u just have to pray and trust in God and know. He will help u through it no matter what he won't give u anything u can't handle and the second u can't handle talk to him let him know and he willpiik u up and help u through it
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 10, 2010
    • 02:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • The next time you go to your physicians office, have him record your blood pressure standing, sitting, lying down, then stand again after lying down.It's completely plausible to assume you might be suffering from an Orthostatic Intolerance, especially if you are under the age of 35. Most of the time, they are falsely diagnosed as anxiety or psychiatric-related disorder, due to the nature of the symptoms associated.Hope you feel better, take care.
    keanhe 86 Replies
    • November 10, 2010
    • 00:57 PM
    Flag this Response
  • keanhe, That's interesting. I read about orthostatic intolerance and it doesn't seem completely out of the question, especially considering my symptoms seem to be made worse by prolonged sitting. My blood pressure is somewhat high as well.-michael
    rocknnroll 1 Replies
    • November 10, 2010
    • 04:10 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement