Discussions By Condition: Allergies

Help my hives keep spreading...

Posted In: Allergies 3 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • November 9, 2010
  • 01:12 PM

I keep waking up every morning with these hives in different spots then they were the day before. I just bought a new shampoo and I think that's what was causing them< so I threw the shampoo out. I have been to the doctors twice for them and they gave me a steroid (Pednisone). It seems to calm them down, but the next day when I wake up they are back and in a different area. I really am starting to freak me out. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is normal and if it is how long will it last. Please if anyone has any insit to my problem I really need some help..

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• I keep waking up every morning with these hives in different spots then they were the day before. I just bought a new shampoo and I think that's what was causing themIt's not necessarily "normal" but it's not necessarily something "serious". Have you seen an allergist or just a general practitioner? It could be an allergy or simply something called "idiopathic urticaria" (hives of unknown cause), which may just go away as quickly as they started. If you haven't tried an antihistamine, try Benadryl or Zyrtec, or even Zantac (which is an H2 blocker) and see if those help. Benadryl is best to take at night since it can make you drowsy and you might want to take the maximum dose since you are waking up with them. I would recommend allergy testing if you haven't had it done, and try washing your bed sheets in just water as it could be you've developed an allergy to your detergent. Good luck!BTW, I've been suffering from chronic hives for 18+ months, so I know what you're going through. Mine are autoimmune in nature, and haven't responded to any of the medications I've been on (and I think I've tried almost all of them, including massive doses of prednisone), so it's a good sign that yours are responding to the prednisone.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 23, 2010
    • 04:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I would recommend Benadryl as well. My husband had a hive on his eye and it was completely swollen shut. We ended up going to the emergency room and they gave him Prednisone and told him to take Bendaryl. You won't see immediate results, obviously, but it will help. I think my husband's hive went away after 4 days on Benadryl. If the hives don't go away after a week, I would definitely go back to the doctor! Good luck!
    Lyndsay 10 Replies
    • December 15, 2010
    • 11:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I keep waking up every morning with these hives in different spots then they were the day before. I just bought a new shampoo and I think that's what was causing themHi, this suddenly happened to me, it's getting hot and I thought it might just be heat hives but they kept coming back in the morning and in a different spots. They would dissipate when I used some aloe.In the area I live in there's these things called chiggers that eat skin, and in doing so causes irritation which causes some people to get an allergic reaction in hives or welts. I don't know if this is your problem but you may want to clean your sheets in very hot water & some form of bleach. See if you keep getting them. Don't forget they may be on your other fabrics too. Tell me how it goes.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement