Discussions By Condition: Dental conditions

Have Periodontitis, Biting My Lower Lip

Posted In: Dental conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • July 20, 2006
  • 02:19 PM

I bit my lip while eating a sandwich a week ago. Since then, i've been biting it, accidently, almost always while chewing, almost everyday, if not every day. I've had successive involuntary lip biting episodes in the past, but none that seemed to last quite this long.

I've been trying to chew much more slowly and carefully, but I can almost never manage to go without chomping down on it during a meal once or twice. It's usually sort of a sudden, spasmodic bite, while i'm trying to move food around in my mouth, usually after taking too big a bite, which I have a habit of doing. A couple times I've bitten when taking a drink from a water bottle. This worries me. I've heard cheek biting might cause cancer. Can lip biting too?

I managed to eat my rice & veg. salad yesterday without biting and my fruit & oatmeal this morning w/o biting but only with extreme care.

I have moderate to advanced periodontitis---a very unusual case my dentist says---and I suspect a bite problem (malocclusion?) so I fear this may be the cause. I've been slightly, now and then, snagging the inside lip with my front teeth, but could this be due to swelling from the intermittent biting?

I've barely been able to scrape up enough money for gum replacement surgery. I can't afford more dental work. I hope there's a home treatment.

Would appreciate some advice.
James n. Dawson

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement