Discussions By Condition: Dental conditions

Have Periodontitis, Biting My Lower Lip

Posted In: Dental conditions 20 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • July 20, 2006
  • 02:19 PM

I bit my lip while eating a sandwich a week ago. Since then, i've been biting it, accidently, almost always while chewing, almost everyday, if not every day. I've had successive involuntary lip biting episodes in the past, but none that seemed to last quite this long.

I've been trying to chew much more slowly and carefully, but I can almost never manage to go without chomping down on it during a meal once or twice. It's usually sort of a sudden, spasmodic bite, while i'm trying to move food around in my mouth, usually after taking too big a bite, which I have a habit of doing. A couple times I've bitten when taking a drink from a water bottle. This worries me. I've heard cheek biting might cause cancer. Can lip biting too?

I managed to eat my rice & veg. salad yesterday without biting and my fruit & oatmeal this morning w/o biting but only with extreme care.

I have moderate to advanced periodontitis---a very unusual case my dentist says---and I suspect a bite problem (malocclusion?) so I fear this may be the cause. I've been slightly, now and then, snagging the inside lip with my front teeth, but could this be due to swelling from the intermittent biting?

I've barely been able to scrape up enough money for gum replacement surgery. I can't afford more dental work. I hope there's a home treatment.

Would appreciate some advice.
James n. Dawson

Reply Flag this Discussion

20 Replies:

• I have malocclusion but never heard of your problem. I have heard of people biting their cheek or tongue once in a great while.:confused:
    birdie 40 Replies
    • November 6, 2006
    • 06:31 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had the same problem today and started looking up the internet. I suspect this could be due to:1. Eating too fast2. Not chewing properly3. Alignment issue with teeth (?)A friend told me to use hydrogen peroxide to clean the wound to help heal faster.- San Diegan
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 9, 2007
    • 08:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • You sound like me - I have been biting the same spot just below the center of my lower lip for years. I'll go for months at a time not doing it and then for whatever reason I'll start biting it while eating at least once a day for weeks. I mean I can split it wide open and it'll bleed pretty good. I just figured it was from eating too eagerly or inattentively. It is aggravating though and can ruin the fun of eating for days. dan d.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • same thing for me too. i havent ever had this happen my entirelife then maybe 6 months ago it happened out of the blue whilechewing gum. it's happened maybe 3 times a week - some weeksmore some less. most often when i'm chewing gum but also otherfoods. ***n when i bite it i bite it good - right on the inside centerof my lower lip. definitely breaks the skin.my jaw does have a little alignment issue when I open very wide butnothing noticeable during normal operation. could they be related?i supposed i'll be steering clear of gum from now on.
  • My guess is that the lip biting is stress related. The initial bite seems to occur when I am eating and mulling over something that is on my mind that is bothering me to some extent. Then, after that first vicious bite, I think I get stressed out about biting the same spot over and over and usually end up doing just that as soon as I let my guard down. At least in my case I don't believe there is a connection between periodontitis and lip biting. But then again I voted for George Bush. dan d
  • I think you have the reason you're doing this in your last comment. It's karma. :-) Just kidding. I have the same problem and I didn't vote for George Bush.If you find out how to stop biting the inside of your bottom lip, please let me know!
  • Lip and cheek biting causes inflammation and is easy to re-bite because of the swelling. When you bite it always apply ice the first day. Wrap ice in a wash cloth and put on for 20 mins.then off for 20 mins for the first day. Next day, apply heat to speed healing. A warm(microwaved) wet washcloth works well. 20 mins. on and 20 mins. off. Try not to rebite while healing. Also ask you dentist if this doesn't heal to make sure there is nothing growing there that doesn't belong.Your dentist should be able to treat your periodontitis. He better say:stop smoking NOW, get rest and good nutrition, clean your teeth impeccably after his cleanings are done, take a vitamin, use a good soft brush like Oral B and a good toothpaste like Colgate Total. Get a real prognosis for success in the keeping of your teeth long term. See a periodontist if necessary. I have worked in dentistry for many years and have seen many good hygienist and many,many more BAD hygienists. Go to a hygiene teaching clinic, if possible. They are the best and cheapest place for gum treatments and can be a conservative choice for limited finances.
  • Thanks for the very good advice regarding gums and the lip biting thing. I went four months without the dreaded event but yesterday I did it while eating pizza and then this morning at breakfast I really opened it up! What frustrates me is that I can chew attentively and slowly, like this morning, and still bite the same spot viciously! dan d
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 19, 2007
    • 04:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • You're very welcome! Keep your chin up (and your lip out!)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 20, 2007
    • 04:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have this same problem. Sometimes I bite my tongue, but more often the inner surface of my lower lip, usually left or right of centre. Then it swells, which naturally increases the probabilities of recurrence. So one could imagine things getting worse and worse till one had to go on a liquid diet. I have never heard of this happening to anyone, but it is important to prevent recurrence. I have sometimes, when starting to eat, put a plastic clothespin on my lip covering the injury. I use the kind of clothespin with a curve in it, so it protects the injury without pressing it. If it's not right in the centre, it's not too difficult to get a spoon in and out. I eat like that till the swelling disappears. Fortunately I live alone and eat at home; this might look a bit comical. It works pretty well, although the last time I did it, while I had a clothespin covering the injury on the injured side, I then bit the okay side! And I suspected the clothespin might even have contributed to that bite. But this had never happened before. Anyway, I found that I could not get food in with two clothespins, so I had to resort to chewing carefully. Now, this is easier said than done. Nature has provided us with a pretty good unconscious mechanism for keeping the tongue and lips (two of the softest parts of the body) out of the way of the fearsome machinery (teeth) that they are just adjacent to, but when that mechanism does fail, there is no conscious mechanism to replace it: it's hard to have a conscious sense of where our tongue and lips and teeth are all going while eating. What we can sense consciously, however, is how far open our jaw is (how far apart our upper and lower teeth are). If the jaw is almost closed, the tongue and lips can't slip into the trap. So what I do is to use very light chewing pressure to break up the food small enough so that I can chew it while only slightly opening my jaw. Then I chew with just that slight opening and closing action, now using full pressure. Yours, DA
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 24, 2007
    • 04:29 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Oh DA - that's hilarious stuff - the clothes pins and all. I have tried the careful closed mouth chewing thing but somehow still drew blood. It's always in the same spot - right side, inside lower lip. But you give me an idea - in the days right after a bite maybe a piece of thin soft pliable plastic, kinda like athletes use for mouth guards might work until the swelling goes down. My dentist told me I was chewing too much with my front teeth and not enough with the rears. He told me to train myself to chew my food further back. Feels weird though. -dan d
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 9, 2007
    • 04:58 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• thanks to every one for the great advice that i have obtained here, i do not have a severe prob w/ bitting my lip, but earlier i bit it very good some how while brushing my teeth, thought it was my gums bleeding at first, but then as i looked up my lip was bleeding nicely~ guess it is time for a lil peroxide, then ice, and tomorrow heat~ gah...hope that doesn't make it more noticeable.ty for reading this comment.SYSTYM
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 1, 2008
    • 07:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've had this chronic lip biting problem for about 4 years now. As in at least every other month I bite my lip and have a canker sore for 2 weeks. I bite my lip always during eating, then it starts with this little canker sore in about a day. By the end of the week its the size of the eraser on the end of a pencil. And quite painful!I tried using antibacterial mouthwash but after a few tries I decided it doesn't help and if anything irritates things more. Granted I was swishing with it up to 8x/day which might have been too much. I then started just swishing salty water a few times/day - dentists orders. That may or may not be doing anything. The biggest thing, I think , it to avoid eating acidic food one I've bitten my lip. That means no vinegar, no citrus, no tomato sauce, no liquor, no fried food. (yes, it means nothing tasty!) But it does seem to be the only thing that seems to really affect how quickly I get better. That and avoiding crusty scraping food. Honestly, just hardly eating at all gets rather tempting and does actually help if done the first day or two. Tho I'd think lack of nutrition causes stress which would make things heal less well. So this should be done intelligently I think - perhaps I should go on a liquid diet after biting my lip!So, yeah, my theory is the cause is stress, hurrying, and eating things that require a lot of wide opening of the jaw to chew. My cure is avoid eating certain things and take more relaxing time. Easier said than done tho!Incidentally, I just bought a mouth guard and have grand plans to shape it so that I can eat with it :-D Tho maybe that clothespin idea could be a backup plan! lol
    chickiemama 1 Replies
    • October 22, 2008
    • 05:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've had the same problem myself, over the past few weeks. As you know, once you've bitten your lip, you are more likely to bite it again on account of the swelling. In my case, I suspect that my slightly protruberant, right canine tooth is to blame, since I always seem to bite my lip in exactly the same place. To combat this, I recently began chewing with the other side of my mouth only. Granted, it is not as satisfying as chewing with both sides, but it has enabled me avoid re-injuring my lip, at least for a few days in a row. Hopefully, I will be able to avoid giving my inner lip a painful chomp long enough to allow the deep wound that I caused to heal. Needless to say, I feel your pain! Good luck!
  • I do the same thing, but mostly my cheeks (they are too big for the inside my mouth.) But recently I got my upper lip really good. It is so swollen I can hardly speak, and trying to eat food is a nightmare! My mom suggested the hydrogen peroxide also, I hear it really works, I'll see. But this whole chipmunk look isn't quite working for me. Good luck to everyone!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 23, 2009
    • 03:38 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I suck on my teeth while chewing. It's when I'm sucking that I catch my lip and bite it. It helps to try to chew without sucking.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 28, 2009
    • 02:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I also have started this the past week, only bit my lower lip very rearly but now catching it almost every day! ( and drawing blood ), logicaly it sounds as though the initial bite causes a swelling that continues to get caught every day untill the swelling lip goes back into the correct shape, so a chicken and egg situation I guess?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 14, 2010
    • 01:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I think you have the reason you're doing this in your last comment. It's karma. :-) Just kidding. I have the same problem and I didn't vote for George Bush.If you find out how to stop biting the inside of your bottom lip, please let me know!My dentist gave me a mouth guard, similar to invisilign braces. It does keep you from the biting habit, but sort of a hassle to clean. You might be able to break the habit though.
  • so do i, i BITE my lips all the time till it BLEEDS and then stop to let it HEAL i stop maybe for a few month then for some strange reason i start to BITE it again.
  • I bit my lip while eating a sandwich a week ago. Since then, i've been biting it, accidently, almost always while chewing, almost everyday, if not every day. I've had successive involuntary lip biting episodes in the past, but none that seemed to last quite this long. I've been trying to chew much more slowly and carefully, but I can almost never manage to go without chomping down on it during a meal once or twice. It's usually sort of a sudden, spasmodic bite, while i'm trying to move food around in my mouth, usually after taking too big a bite, which I have a habit of doing. A couple times I've bitten when taking a drink from a water bottle. This worries me. I've heard cheek biting might cause cancer. Can lip biting too?I managed to eat my rice & veg. salad yesterday without biting and my fruit & oatmeal this morning w/o biting but only with extreme care. I have moderate to advanced periodontitis---a very unusual case my dentist says---and I suspect a bite problem (malocclusion?) so I fear this may be the cause. I've been slightly, now and then, snagging the inside lip with my front teeth, but could this be due to swelling from the intermittent biting? I've barely been able to scrape up enough money for gum replacement surgery. I can't afford more dental work. I hope there's a home treatment.Would appreciate some advice.James n. DawsonI have the same problem. Exactly how you described it. I just bite myself on d center of my bottom lip...several times... (this has also happened to me several times in the past). One temporary solution is to hold on to my bottom lip by stretching it out of the reach of my teeth while chewing. I also tried putting some ice on it. It has swelled up pretty bad... bigger than a pea. and its bleeding a lot too. Danny C
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement