Discussions By Condition: Ears, Nose, Mouth & Throat conditions

sore sides of tongue, throat swelling

• Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 18, 2007
  • 09:10 PM

I have had this problem for a year now, on and off like one day I will have it and the next I won't. My tongue is swollen usually on both sides and it hurts to chew and move the tongue and my throat usually both sides but sometimes just one feels really swollen and espcially to the tough of the throat and I can feel it. I feel like I am going crazy because I have been to the doctor already and he gave me blood tests and everything came back normal and I went to an ear nose and throat doctor and he says he can't see anything significant but I have a smaller throat and food could get caught or something. I am not happy with these explainations and I don't know what to do. I am due back into the doctor on Saturday so we will see. I am only 25 years old to so I don't understand this.

Reply Flag this Discussion

25 Replies:

• Get your immune system checked out. I also get spots on the sides of my tongue from time to time, always one side at a time. Very painful & lasts for a few days then goes away but eventually comes back. I have an autoimmune condition called sarcoidosis (I actually have THREE autoimmune diseases: sarcoidosis, Hashimoto's disease, & herpes simplex). An autoimune disease is one in which your immune system is attacking your own body, causing damage. There are MANY types of autoimmune diseases, many of which go undiagnosed (I went to 7 different doctors before anyone took my sysmptoms seriously). With autoimmune diseases come a host of other sysmptoms, such as dry eyes, swollen glands, arthritis, joint pain, excema, abnormal blood counts, and on and on and on.....My doctor told me that my tongue sores were most likely due to my beleaguered immune system. Perhaps due to the sarcoidosis, or the herpes simplex.You may have an underlying immunity condition which could take quite a few tests to uncover. Ask your doctor. Good luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 20, 2007
    • 04:34 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have to say something, as an un-registered passerby looking for an answer to my problem. What you described sounds just about identical to what I've been experiencing. It is SO baffling. I am healthy, I have had my blood checked just as a general check up...and the only thing they found was a low white blood cell count (but that might be the trend for my body). For the past two years, every once in a while the sides of my tongue become very very sore...to where I can hardly chew my food or talk without pain. When I observe what my tongue looks like during these episodes (that last a few days to a week - as it dies down and goes away again for a while) the sides actually look enlarged or swollen...and sometimes have almost an unnoticeable white spot or sore on the sides. Each side is parallel in pain. These episodes occur at random, sometimes twice in one month, and then not again for months later.I have wondered if this is an allergy to a food or pollen...but my diet is consistent, and this happens year round no matter the season. I have wondered if this is from a very acidic diet, but I do not have a very acidic diet and I am very careful about what I eat.I have ruled out both dehydration (I drink a lot of water) and anemia (blood test said I wasn't).So to sum it up...I have no idea why my tongue has been causing me pain for the past few years. If anyone is a doctor, or has any insight...post it!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • it could be an allergy to paenuts, the same thing happens to me and i am allergic to all nuts. hope you find your answer.:)
    jeanne workman 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I think I have the exact same problem right now. Since yesterday, there has been a very sore spot on the left side of my tongue, and at times I can barely speak. The left side of my throat has been swollen much of the time, but not continuously. I looked closely in a mirror and noticed a small sore of some type, but the pain has been much worse than the size would suggest. I really have no idea what it is; I know it can't be anything related to an STD, but I do think it has something to do with my immune system. I have a mostly vegetarian diet, and some people like to blame every malady I have on that, but I strongly doubt that my diet is the problem. I am a 20 year old male, and I would say that I have a slightly weaker than normal immune system, but that's usually only a problem during high-stress, sleep-deprived times.
    aleawe 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hypothyroid can cause a thick tongue with sores on the sides. Get your Thyroid levels checked, including FREE T3, a lot of doctors won't test for that, but that is the amount of actual thyroid hormone circulating in your system, if it too low or even a 'low normal' you may need thyroid supplementation.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 26, 2008
    • 01:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My tonsil are really swelling and it hurts bad
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 2, 2009
    • 07:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I think it's salt in the diet. My tongue's currently swollen, UGH hurts to talk. :(
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 10, 2010
    • 06:28 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i think it may be peanuts too...currently my tounge is sore and a little swoll..but i at the peanuts last night..
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 24, 2010
    • 10:24 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It could also be related to a gluten intolerance -- I've just started noticing this tongue sore on the left side. I am diagnosed with Celiac Disease and my Mom has Hashimoto's so maybe there some sort of correlation?
  • Has anyone tried oil pulling? It's an old Indian medicine technique used to abosrb oil soluble toxins in your mouth. By swishing oil in your mouth for 20 mins. every moring you can heal many mouth disorders. Do a google search.
    torunafter21 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • This is a wonderful post. The things given are unanimous and needs to be appreciated by everyone.--------vernon getzlerBack Exercises
    vernongetzler 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• My husband had this problem for years. We discovered the cause by accident. I had run out of honey which I always kept in the house. We noticed about a week and a half later that the sores in his mouth were going away. We waited a while and tried honey again and they came back. We have found that even a piece of bread that is made with honey, or one corn dog that has honey in the crust, or lunch meat or bacon that has honey in it will cause the sores in his mouth to come back. For years we thought they were just cold sores, but now the only time they come back is when he accidently eats something that has honey in it. It's amazing how many foods have honey in them.
  • I have had this same problem for a couple months now and i found that the cause is from allergies. If ur nose is plugged at any point during the night you breathe thru our mouth and it drys out the sides of the toungueand the back of the throat. Try usiing nasal strips or a decongestant before bed. Hope this helps some of yoou
  • I have had this problem for a year now, on and off like one day I will have it and the next I won't. My tongue is swollen usually on both sides and it hurts to chew and move the tongue and my throat usually both sides but sometimes just one feels really swollen and espcially to the tough of the throat and I can feel it. I feel like I am going crazy because I have been to the doctor already and he gave me blood tests and everything came back normal and I went to an ear nose and throat doctor and he says he can't see anything significant but I have a smaller throat and food could get caught or something. I am not happy with these explainations and I don't know what to do. I am due back into the doctor on Saturday so we will see. I am only 25 years old to so I don't understand this.Hi i was wondering if you found out what it was? why ur tong was sore?...... i am 25 yr woman and just quit smoking 4 weeks ago and got really sick for 3 weeks and lost my voice for 3 days near the end and i have had a sore throat. Now just 4 weeks later the left back side of my tongue really hurts and its hard to swallow or even move it some days more than others or goes away. Im taking Strepsils to help numb the area and it helps kill bad germs, it will feel ok for a bit then if i do anything at aggrivate it like cough to much or talk to much it really starts to hurt again! Please help! Amber
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 13, 2010
    • 09:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • it could be an allergy to paenuts, the same thing happens to me and i am allergic to all nuts. hope you find your answer.:)it would be funny that to be the cause of the pain, because I am reading it while eating nuts :)I was never allergic to nuts, but I realize that I have the problem since I bought this new batch some days ago. Maybe it is a coincidence. I will not eat for 15 days and try again :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 15, 2010
    • 09:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Could very well be stress. Could be pushing your tongue against your teeth while you sleep, causing the "bumps" which could be caused by the impressions of your teeth. Could be sore like a muscle gets sore... just an idea... lots of ailments are caused by stress.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 3, 2011
    • 08:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same problem... Sides of tongue red, swollen and painful... I noticed I've been having ketchup more than usual, and when I eat it... it burns and makes the sides of my tongue even worse. So in my case I'm guessing it's from an acidic diet.... Salty foods have also seemed to be a cause in the past too.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 3, 2011
    • 11:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am currently experiencing sores on the sides of my tongue as well. I seem to get them when weather changes drastically, stress, lack of sleep, etc.. I believe that it also has alot to do with my diet as well. So many foods in the American diet are highly acidic, when your body is in an acidic state it is breeding ground for certain toxins and bacterias, these sores may be caused from the bacteria. I ve listened to multiple nutritionists and they say your body needs to be in an alkaline state. The way to achieve this is eating lots of greens, which isnt always easy. Hope this is helpful !!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 20, 2011
    • 02:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the swelling on the sides of my tounge in the back part of it. My tounge is swollen to the point that it's rubbing on my teeth. It has nothing to with allergic reactions I'm allergic to pets and have none where I am currently located. Otherwise I have no allergies. Whatever it is yes, it's extremely annoying and I haven't gotten it in awhile but the only reason I could have it now is because I don't eat much at all I just never make time for food. Because I'm constantly on the move because of college and what not. A suggestion that does always work for anything in the mouth area including this and canker soars is warm salt water reduces the swelling. Do it over and over about three or four times within an hour you'll see the difference
  • It could also be related to a gluten intolerance -- I've just started noticing this tongue sore on the left side. I am diagnosed with Celiac Disease and my Mom has Hashimoto's so maybe there some sort of correlation?So happy to have found this post. I am having the same problem and also have celiac disease. A relief to me that I am not alone.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement