Discussions By Condition: Urinary conditions

Frequent Urge to Urinate Mostly at Night But No Urine Left

Posted In: Urinary conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: AuraDawn
  • November 2, 2010
  • 05:55 PM

I searched this site and was able to find some similar symptoms to mine, but not exactly the same. I am going to the Urologist in a couple days but wanted to seek help and information on here as well.

Here is my physical information: I am an overweight 30 year old female. I believe I may be considered morbidly obese because I am 5' 5" tall and weigh 230 pounds. I started out having regular periods in life, but by the time I left high school they became extremely irregular and I was put on birth control to regulate them. (I'm not sure if this will have anything to do with my problem or not, but thought I should mention it just in case.)

My problem is as follows: for the last year and a half to two years I have been having this issue and I don't know why.

What happens is, in the evenings before I go to bed, I go to the restroom. I'll go and mostly the first time it's normal, but then I'll get up and almost before I'm out of the bathroom, I have the urge to urinate again. It's like there was more in there that didn't come out the first time. I'll sit back down and try to go again, but nothing will come out or maybe I can squeeze out a few more drops. I'll try for a little while, get up, then it happens again. I go through this process every night, at least 5 times before I finally try and make myself go to sleep.

It's very difficult to fall asleep and stay asleep with this issue because of the constant feeling that I need to urinate, even though nothing comes out when I do. I usually wake up, at least before recently, 3 or 4 times per night, feeling like I have to urinate but with nothing, or only a few drops, coming out when I try and in order to get those few drops out I really have to force it.

I have noticed that last week I started eating healthier foods and cut my sugar intake and I seemed to only wake up with this once per night, but over the weekend I had some sugary desserts throughout the day each day and at night I had this problem far more frequently. I was tested for diabetes last year and was told I don't have it so I don't believe diabetes is the cause. I was tested for a UTI and was told I don't have one, but there was a tiny amount of blood in my urine when they tested it, so was referred to the Urologist because of it.

I don't really notice this problem during the day. I'm not sure if it's because I'm at work and distracted, as opposed to laying in bed at night with nothing to do but think about it and focus on it, or if the issue only happens at night.

To be clear, I don't have an urgent need to urinate, because I have no problems holding it and I wouldn't necessarily call it a frequent urge to urinate because it seems to mainly happen at night.

I'm not sure if this is relevant at all, but I've also noticed that I seem to wake up most mornings at around 4 or 5 am, feeling very hot and I need to kick the covers off of me to cool down. When I wake up around 7 am or so my body temperature seems back to normal again. I've also noticed that my face has become very oily lately, abnormally so. I haven't noticed any excess hair growth though or many of the other symptoms of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, so I don't know if I have that or not, but I haven't ready about any symptoms of PCOS that would cause my nocturnal urination issue.

I'm not sure what other information to give about this. Does anyone have any suggestions about what could be going on with me? Not being able to sleep through the night for almost 2 years has definitely taken it's toll and I miss being able to sleep regularly.

Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated, it makes me want to cry sometimes, having to deal with this and not knowing why or how to stop it.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement