Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Leg pain, numbness, muscle weakness in legs.

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: jenaren
  • January 18, 2007
  • 03:58 AM

My 11 year old daughter woke up in the middle of the night a week ago with severe pain in both her legs that lasted for 2-3 minutes. Then they went completely numb for about a half an hour, and when the feeling came back, the pain was still there but a little duller, and her muscles were useless. She could stand with support, but her toes turned inward and she could not make her foot go flat on the floor, she stayed on her tip-toes. Her legs shake and she looks kind of twisted. We went to the ER, and they transferred her to a children's hospital. She was seen by several neurologists and a rheumatologist. She had blood tests, an eeg, an ekg, an ecg, an mri and x-rays of her spine. She had a chest x-ray and peak-flow (respiratory) measurements every six hours. We stayed in the hospital for four days, but nobody can come to a conclusion of what is wrong with her. She had two abnormal blood tests: an elevated non-specific sedimentation rate, and an elevated streptocillin. They sent us home with no answers, and she still can't walk. She hasn't been able to go to school for a week, and she is scooting around our house on an office chair with wheels until I can get her a wheelchair. Her arms have now started shaking and losing their strength as well, and she is pale and sleeps all the time. I'm afraid that this is getting worse and could really do long-term damage, and we're not doing anything to stop it. If anyone has any insight, I would appreciate it so much.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement