Discussions By Condition: Cardiovascular disease

dizzy,shakes,feeling of passing out

Posted In: Cardiovascular disease 9 Replies
  • Posted By: Tammy lay
  • January 17, 2007
  • 05:50 PM

My husband drinks a pot of coffee every morning, and if he doesn't eat right away he will get weak, start shaking and he feels like he will pass out, he gets regular check ups and he is in real good shape for his age.
As soon as he eats something he feels better,I was hoping it is not related to diabetes.
His mother was a diabetic she did not take insulin she just controlled it with her diet. She passed away a couple of years ago, after having both legs amputated she never recovered she had a staph infection.

Reply Flag this Discussion

9 Replies:

• Hello, I was poking around and saw this, and could really relate. I am by no means a medical expert, but the symptoms sounded exactly what happens with my 16 year old son.Now, he doesn't drink coffee, but likes his occasional soda. He is a very healthy kid, drinks a lot of water, eats well etc.Around age 10, he had a feinting episode. All sorts of tests later, he was fine, they couldn't find anything wrong and chalked it up to a fluke.Every now and then, especially if he does not eat in the morning, he will have an *episode* comes on really fast, shaking, cold clammy, sweating, and the feeling of passing out. As soon as he eats something, he perks right up. I was in the store last time this happened, and I had him sit down, I grabbed cookies and milk off the shelf, and within one cookie and a sip of milk he was back to normal.I was thinking diabetes! Or heart. We had both checked out, and nope. However, this doctor said that his sodium levels were very low, it is the only thing they saw out of the ordinary.The doctor asked how much water he drank per day, and we said quite a bit, around 9-12 water bottles. He said that actually, too much water can flush out the sodium, especially if you are not getting sodium from other sources.I have never been a salt shaker user, so our meals are not usually very salty. So I use the salt shaker more, and he has cut his water down to 8 bottles a day, combined with at least one to two Gatorades, or something similiar.Anyhow, hope this helps, maybe have his sodium levels checked out.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 30, 2007
    • 05:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for your reply, indeed my husband also drinks alot of water.And I do not use salt when cooking either on most things, however he does use the salt shaker alot. But I will, have him get his sodium checked, I never would of even thought of that, Thanks alot, Tammy
    Tammy lay 3 Replies
    • January 30, 2007
    • 10:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had the same symtoms for the past few months, thanks for the salt tip. I dont consumme much.... But I do drink alot of water...All test come back normal, but Taccycardia.very high heart rate.... Thanks gonna try a bit more salt in the diet....Fair:)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 31, 2007
    • 01:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • please do not eat more salt unless you need it. I was 9 months pregnant and had svt with my heart. After I had the baby I had to have surgery. Now they think because of my high salt intake swelling from that and toximia and other issues that I could have congestive heart faluiure. I gained over 100 lbs and most is water. Its 4 mnths later and they are still testing me. Im on lasiks because of the water build up is over 60 % they said too much salt cases fluids to fill up in your lungs and puts so much pressure on your heart it can cause huge problems. Please never INCREASE YOUR SALT UNLESS YOU CHECK WITH YOUR DR. YOU CAN DIE. YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE OVER 2000 MILG. PER DAY. im on medicine im dizzy weak puking and can not have salt of more than a liter of any sort of fluids per day, coffee soup... milk... all because of the salt build up and pregancy I have damadged my own heart and also had cardiac arest. I can not spell check im holding a baby and typing one handed. Just ask your dr . maybe I can save a life mine is at risk . Im 28 and scared to death. I love my daughter.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am not a doctor either but what you guys are describing has nothing to do with salt intake. When you drink a cup of coffee or a soda it spikes your blood sugars. Which is what gives you that caffine rush. When I was a child I had the same issues and was diagnosed with hypoglycemia. Which is the opposite of Diabetes. Its when your blood sugar levels drop below normal. Which causes the weak, shakey feeling, sweats and so forth. I was released from the doctor when I was in my late teens. Still years later I have some issues with it. It happens when I drink coffee, once the buzz(rush) wears off my blood sugars drop. If that happens I eat natural sugar to bring me levels back up. Snickers, orange juice, bannana. After a few minutes everything is normal again. I hope this helps. You might want to see an endocrynologist(spl?) and get monitored espically if this is the first time its happened. I have learned how to deal with mine, but not knowing how can have bad affects on your body. If someone doesnt get their blood sugar levels back up and soon they can go into a coma.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have had my sodium levels tested and mine is low. I do often get dizzy and shaky and I have passed out before. My Doctor recommended Gatorade. If you look at the contents it does have a lot of sodium. I do feel better after drinking a bottle of it. You just have to be careful with the amount of sugar in it because of cavities.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 22, 2009
    • 03:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello there,I have read a lot of posts on this thread. The common trends seem to be experiencing a sinking feeling, heart palpitations, and for some, gas. This may be a vitamin b12 deficiency. Your levels can be checked with a simple blood test; ask your doctor.http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/v/vitamin_b12_deficiency/symptoms.htmGood luck with figuring this thing out. I wish you good health.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 14, 2010
    • 00:53 AM
    Flag this Response
  • All of a sudden (past four weeks) I have been experiencing sudden shakiness and feeling of passing out. Seems to happen a few days a week mostly when I am out and about. First time it happened I was at the store with my son. I thought maybe it was my sugar considering I hadn't eat much at all. I had to immediately leave the store. Once in the car I got a drink and a granola bar symptoms seem to ease but still felt weak for about an hour afterwards. Then happened several times after that day even If I had ate a good meal. Looking for possiblities of what it could be???
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 9, 2010
    • 05:19 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My husband drinks a pot of coffee every morning, and if he doesn't eat right away he will get weak, start shaking and he feels like he will pass out, he gets regular check ups and he is in real good shape for his age. As soon as he eats something he feels better,I was hoping it is not related to diabetes.His mother was a diabetic she did not take insulin she just controlled it with her diet. She passed away a couple of years ago, after having both legs amputated she never recovered she had a staph infection.Sounds like my symptoms. I had these for years and to be honest had no idea anything was wrong. After I got married my husband got me to go see a doctor. Turns out I have hyperthyroidism. Or Graves Disease. He may have that and not realize it. Most people who have it don't even know. Get him to a doctor and get some blood work done.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 23, 2010
    • 03:12 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement