Discussions By Condition: Nerve conditions

Sudden Onset of Pins-and-Needles -- Help?

Posted In: Nerve conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: klafak
  • January 17, 2007
  • 06:21 AM

Hi all,

This is a strange one and takes a bit of explanation to get to the point. Please bear with me. I'm concerned about a sudden onset of a pins-and-needles sensation in my arms, hands, and lower back. I'd like a little insight from others who may be experiencing the same symptom or from others who may have an idea of what the problem is.

Here's how it came to this ...

Last Thursday, January 11th, I woke up to a swollen, red finger on my left hand. It was painful to bend, and it had a slight pins-and-needles feeling to it. It was just the one finger, though. When I got out of bed, I noticed that I had a small outbreak of hives on each forearm. I passed the entire ordeal off as an allergic reaction and took some Benadryl. (I'm no stranger to hives; I used to break-out in them frequently while in High School.)

As the day went on, the hives went away, but my finger remained swollen and red. I put some Benadryl cream on it because it was starting to itch some, and I took another Benadryl before going to bed.

Friday morning, my finger was a little less swollen and red than it had been, but it was still bothering me. The hives were gone, but I found that both of my arms, my stomach, and my waist were bright red. It wasn't hives, though. It didn't itch either.

I made an appointment to see my physician that afternoon. He prescribed Hydroxyzine 25 MG tablets for the redness. I started on the prescription as soon as I picked it up from the drug store, and it seemed to do the trick with the redness.

Saturday morning, my finger was about back to normal, and the redness had all but disappeared. I went ahead and took the 4 tablets throughout the day that had been prescribed, just in case.

By Sunday, the rash had gone away, but I had a new symptom: a pins-and-needles sensation that came and went. It went through both of my arms and into my hands as well as down my lower back. It didn't last long when it happened, a couple seconds at the most. It came and went sporadically. It seemed to also come if I made a sudden movement; e.g., I almost dropped a cup when I was unloading the dishwasher, and when I spun around to grab for it, the sensation went through both of my arms and into my hands.

Alarmed by the development of the pins-and-needles symptom, I made another appointment with my physician Monday afternoon. Honestly, I don't think he knew what to make of it. He tapped my wrists and elbows a couple times, checked my grip, and asked what I usually did with my hands on a daily basis. Carpal tunnel and a pinched nerve were ruled out. He simply told me to wait and see what might happen and also mentioned consulting with a neurologist if the pins-and-needles sensation persisted throughout this week.

I know I'm being a bit impatient with this as it's now just very early Wednesday morning, but a sudden onset of a symptom such as this, especially when I've never experienced it before, has me worried. I don't know what to make of it.

I should also mention that I have another prescription; Clonazepam 0.5 MG, one tablet a day, for anxiety. I've been taking that since late-2003 when I had a rather serious panic attack.

I don't know. :(

I don't know if this is something related to the rash that preceded the pins-and-needles, if it's something related to the anxiety, or if it's an entirely separate problem altogether. If it is, indeed, a separate problem, is it typical of these types of symptoms to just come on with little-to-no warning? It seems so strange that something this odd would just happen.

Any input would be much appreciated. I'm glad to've found these forums and read where others have experienced the same symptoms. That eases my mind a little.

Thanks for reading.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement