Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Face hot; hands ice cold

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 33 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 17, 2007
  • 03:47 AM

I have no clue, but my face is always hot and my hands are ice cold all the time. Stress, caffeine, anxiety, and some other things that I have noticed do seem to make it worse, but there are also times when it just happens out of the blue. I walk around with my hands on my face all the time. My face isn't red or anything and my husband says that it isn't hot to touch, but I feel as if I'm burning up. The only thing that helps my hands is running them under hot water. Well...I can't do that all day long. Some days it doesn't happen at all. So I'm not sure what triggers it or what is wrong. Any ideas? The heat also makes it worse. Not looking forward to summer at all. :(

Reply Flag this Discussion

33 Replies:

• Maybe your face just feels hot cause your hands are so cold. Are your feet /toes cold?? There is a condition called Raynaud's Syndrome, That is mainly abt cold hands and feet. Also Low thyroid, Autoimmune problems and Lyme diease can be other factors. You do not tell us is you have any health problems, so its hard to know what to suggest you check into. They make hand/foot warming pads, you can usually find them in the hunting supply store. They last for hours, you can keep them in pants pockets and hold them when you need them. Good Luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 17, 2007
    • 10:50 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have found stress drops my body temperature - I can actually feel a cold rush come over my body if I am really stressed, and sometimes my face will be at fever like temperatures and my hands and feet are scary cold. I find if I relax, put on some warm clothes and have a warm drink I feel better, maybe its similar to yours, but I know stress can really mess with the body.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 17, 2007
    • 05:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Yes. My face does seem to get really hot when I get stressed and my hands become very cold; along with my feet. Something warm to drink does seem to help me as well. I also take really hot showeres; almost scalding hot. This seems to help so much. I've been taking sometimes two showers a day just to feel a little better. I just saw my PCP today and he gave Lexapro to take to help with anxiety. Hopefully this helps.Thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 18, 2007
    • 00:36 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey, thanks for posting -- I get this symptom too! But it only happens during cold weather. I have a diagnosis of Raynaud's with "mixed connective tissue disorder" (ANA only weakly positive) and shortly after the Raynaud's starts up in fall, the "hot face" (and neck) begins as well. It has been going on for the last few years. I have to keep a fan on my face (and sometimes also a cold pack on my head or neck) when sitting at my desk (despite a cool room), whilst my hands are in mitts. My rheumatologist said he had not heard of this symptom in conjunction with Raynaud's and/or related disorders.It will be interesting to see if yours tapers off in warmer weather.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 26, 2007
    • 02:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I get this too. I think I must have Raynauds; I haven't personally been diagnosed yet, but my dad has it really badly. My hands and feet are always cold, but when I am writing or otherwise using my right hand, it gets FREEZING, much colder than the other one. Lately my face has been feeling very hot; I just feel like if I look in the mirror I should see steam coming off of it. No fever though.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 24, 2007
    • 10:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My hands are hot but my feet are cold and sweaty all over. What could this be? Any one with a real answer send it to ryanlamb0@gmail.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 25, 2007
    • 02:24 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have that too. My head & neck emit excessive heat like a mild fever, but my hands & feet are like little icecubes. I can't draw anymore because of it. It occurs mostly when I'm writing, drawing, or typing & usually only in autumn & winter. It happens "whenever" too, but to a lesser degree when I'm not using my hands. When my hands & feet get cold, the joints hurt & layering gloves & socks does nothing but produce cold sweat. Hot water provides temporary relief to the hand & a different type of pain to the feet. My face however can't stand to have heat blown on it, be within 4 feet of a fire, or handle temeratures over 70*.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 3, 2007
    • 03:44 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I was diagnosed with Raynaud's and Fibromyalgia. My ANA was positive and the rhymatologist stated in may be the early signs of scleroderma which oddly enough my mother-in law has. She also has Raynaud's and is cold- intolerant. It only happens when the weather turns cold and one finger on my left hand and one toe on my right foot turn pale and blue. Sometimes if I'm inactive I get so chilled to the bone that only a very hot bath will warm me back up. When this happens, all my toes are pale. I live in a Northern state and I'm afraid of ever getting stranded outside in the cold because with Raynaud's frost bite can happen much faster. Raynaud's is when the capillaries to your extreminities spasm and cut off blood flow in response to cold or stress.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 3, 2007
    • 04:40 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, I see you posted this comment in January of 2007. It is October 31, 2008 and I just found your comments while I was doing a search. I was wondering if you had anything new happen, and if it is still continuing. This week it has happened to me every day, sometimes lasting hours at a time. Like you, it starts in the fall and lasts until the end of Spring. This will be the 4th season I have had this. I read the symptoms for Reynaud's, but that doesn't sound like what I have.I am going to copy and paste another post I made the other night and would like to see if any of the things I described in it sound familiar to you. Here it is:Hi, I am a 48 year old female living in Pennsylvania. I read all of the posts here, and your post and one other person were the ones I could most identify with. She/he had also commented on getting red on only half of their face as you did.I get both the full red face, and occassionally the half red face. I developed Rosacea in my early 30's, and I know what I am experiencing is not a flare up of Rosacea, although that is what the doctors keep telling me it is. When I am having a flare up of Rosacea I don't know it until I look into the mirror. With this, as you said, I feel it coming on. I don't get the sweating on one side as you described, but yes, the other side is cool and dry. Your description of your skin not being able to breathe is exactly what I have described my face feeling like, too. On the really bad occurences I will have a fan blowing directly on my face, and if I move away from the fan it feels like my face is cooking. I also found out that if I put a frozen water bottle behind my neck, that in about 30 minutes the symptoms will go away. I have tried aspirin, too, and have had pretty good results with that most of the time. I think I first started to try aspirin because I thought I was running a fever when this was happening. I can't remember why I tried the frozen water bottle. You said yours is more troublesome in the summer, but my episodes start late in the year when the weather turns cool and lasts until Spring. This has gone on for 3 years, and today I had my first episode for the fall, so I guess I am starting another season of this.Whenever I can catch it on tv, I watch mystery diagnosis on the Discovery Health Channel in the hopes that someone will I have what I do. There was only one show they called The Purple Puzzle where this guy was diagnosed with cold agglutinin disease, but it was actually a symptom of a bigger problem he had with his spleen. I have had many expensive tests done in the past 3 years, and have gone both to an endocronologist and neurologist. Unfortunately nothing shows upon any of these tests (MRI, CT Scan, CAT Scan). I know something is wrong, and even the neurologist felt I had a tumor somewhere in my body that was causing all of these symptoms. The one thing that is almost always present when this happens is a headache. I start feeling pressure over both ears -- it seems like blood is rushing to my head. I start cracking my neck when this happens, which is something I never do in any other situation, and I get some relief. I don't feel well when this is occurring -- what I mean to say is that is more than just being red. I don't feel well -- it is almost like I stood on my head for awhile and righted myself up and my blood pressure is out of balance. Oh, often just before the onset of one of these episodes, one or both of my hands will become extremely cold (I believe the blood has left my hands and has gone to my head) or I get a strange chilled sensation across my shoulders and the red face will emerge shortly thereafter. It is like a circulation disorder. I guess we self diagnosis when we can't get answers from the doctor. I would really be interested in knowing if you also share any of the other symptoms I have. Hey, thanks for posting -- I get this symptom too! But it only happens during cold weather. I have a diagnosis of Raynaud's with "mixed connective tissue disorder" (ANA only weakly positive) and shortly after the Raynaud's starts up in fall, the "hot face" (and neck) begins as well. It has been going on for the last few years. I have to keep a fan on my face (and sometimes also a cold pack on my head or neck) when sitting at my desk (despite a cool room), whilst my hands are in mitts. My rheumatologist said he had not heard of this symptom in conjunction with Raynaud's and/or related disorders. It will be interesting to see if yours tapers off in warmer weather.
    Monica C 3 Replies
    • November 1, 2008
    • 01:08 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I don't know if this will help anyone, but I thought it was worth a try. I have similar symptoms (hot head and cold hands), but I feel sweaty at times and very tired. I also have joint pain, and according to the hand surgeon hyperextension in my fingers. While looking on the net two days ago for these symptoms, I found a condition called ERTHRONELAGIA (I hope I copied the spelling correctly). It is associated with Raynaud's and causes the extremities and sometimes the face to turn red. I am not really sure this is what I have, but it could be something to look up. I just made a note of the condition as a possibility and signed off for the night so I'm sorry my information is so limited.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 14, 2008
    • 11:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had the same problems for the last few years now, I have two problems. my face will get bright red and hot and my neck will get hot and red blotches, I dont even have to see it, I can feel it coming on. when I am laughing, drinking, talking to people, or at home doing nothing.it is very embarassing. I want it to stop. I also have a problem with my hands being ice cold all the time, expecially in the fall and winter, I am freezing no matter how mnay layers I have on. it is almost my hands and feet all the time, yet my face will be hot. I have had allergies, just common ones, not allergic to anything. It is fustrating and stops me from enjoying activities. please tell me if anyone thinks they know whats wrong, or what to do to help this. I can deal with the ice cold hands, but the red hot face and neck is visually an embarasment.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 16, 2008
    • 05:55 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• You might look into a condition called Erthromelalgia. This condition sometimes occurs in people with Raynaud's. Good Luck!
    Sophie87 1 Replies
    • November 18, 2008
    • 05:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Ha, I feel you guys. Seriously. I'm 23, but for as long as I can remember (back to elementary, anyway), I've had these problems... at least the red face, burning hot. It got worse as I got older, too. Easily blushing, burning, very red face, sometimes from embarrassment, exercise, or nothing at all.In the past few years, it's gotten even worse. Most nights, my face is burning hot and my body (especially hands and feet) are freezing. When I go to bed, I bury my body up to my chin in lots of blankets and turn my big fan on that blows on my face all night long. That's the only way I can get some sleep. Now, I did have thyroid cancer and hypothyroidism, but the thyroid was removed in 2005 and I'm in remission from the cancer, good on my medications, etc. My levels are good, my brain is working again, not so tired... but my temperature senses are completely messed up. Just a change of a few degrees can get my face burning again, and my cheeks are bright red. It's so irritating, embarrassing, and frustrating. My friends call me a temperature chameleon, only able to feel extremes unless we're in an area that is 72 degrees Fahrenheit for a long period of time, and even then... Example, we walk out of a restaurant into the cold night and they bundle in their coats while I just carry mine, still burning from being in the restaurant. After 20 minutes or so, though, I'm very cold and can't get warm for a looong time afterward. I asked my doctor today and he took my blood for the routine thyroid test, but my test results have been great the last several months. My brother also gets very red-faced... we have the same blond hair, blue eyes, and fair, easily-burned skin. Not to mention super dry. I hope we can figure this thing out eventually... my cheeks are burning right now and it's so had to get it to stop, or think about anything else when this happens.
    Gabapple 1 Replies
    • December 4, 2008
    • 07:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi I have had these exact same symptoms for 6 months now(freezing hands and red hot face). I too have been trough the ringer trying to figure out what is going on with me. I have a negative ANA. I have also had some changes in vision, and left upper quadrant abdominal pain. Sound familar to anyone? Has any one else had other symptoms? Thankswill let you know what I find out.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 7, 2008
    • 01:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • For all of you with these symptoms, try going on a Candida diet. Google "Candida Diet", and just follow the regimen. It is worth the try. You may be dealing with a yeast over growth (systemic fungal infection). I went to two doctors (infectious disease & allergist), and neither acknowledged Candida. My online research, based on my own symptoms, lead me to single out the Candida. Go to a good health food store/nutritionist, and get some help there. Pao D'arco herbal tea is amazing at making you feel at peace with this condition. So, be diligent, and follow the diet. The worse thing that can happen is that you will cleanse your body, and feel thinner/healthier. I am vegan so it was not so difficult for me, but if you want to feel better, give it a try.I am still dealing with some of the symptoms, but I am still dealing with Mold exposure issues, and the diet helps but the remedy is to not be around the mold. You all may want to address your home/work environment. Have you checked for mold in your apartment/house (resent leaks/ floods)? Mold in ductwork is a problem in many office buildings (Sick Building Syndrome), which may be affecting your overall system.Lastly, try Probiotics, which are natural antibiotics/bacteria, and it can help with inflammation. Of course if you have medical issues, and take medications, be sure to consult with someone knowledgeable/your physician. OK, this is my advice, and I am open to learning more, so let me know how you do, and what else you may discover.Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon.NDS
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 2, 2009
    • 09:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • my temp. is only 98.7 my face is very hot and red and my hands are frezzing cold and i have had this b4 i was 8 i couldnt walk either
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 17, 2009
    • 02:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, I see you posted this comment in January of 2007. It is October 31, 2008 and I just found your comments while I was doing a search. I was wondering if you had anything new happen, and if it is still continuing. This week it has happened to me every day, sometimes lasting hours at a time. Like you, it starts in the fall and lasts until the end of Spring. This will be the 4th season I have had this. I read the symptoms for Reynaud's, but that doesn't sound like what I have.I am going to copy and paste another post I made the other night and would like to see if any of the things I described in it sound familiar to you. Here it is:Hi, I am a 48 year old female living in Pennsylvania. I read all of the posts here, and your post and one other person were the ones I could most identify with. She/he had also commented on getting red on only half of their face as you did.I get both the full red face, and occassionally the half red face. I developed Rosacea in my early 30's, and I know what I am experiencing is not a flare up of Rosacea, although that is what the doctors keep telling me it is. When I am having a flare up of Rosacea I don't know it until I look into the mirror. With this, as you said, I feel it coming on. I don't get the sweating on one side as you described, but yes, the other side is cool and dry. Your description of your skin not being able to breathe is exactly what I have described my face feeling like, too. On the really bad occurences I will have a fan blowing directly on my face, and if I move away from the fan it feels like my face is cooking. I also found out that if I put a frozen water bottle behind my neck, that in about 30 minutes the symptoms will go away. I have tried aspirin, too, and have had pretty good results with that most of the time. I think I first started to try aspirin because I thought I was running a fever when this was happening. I can't remember why I tried the frozen water bottle. You said yours is more troublesome in the summer, but my episodes start late in the year when the weather turns cool and lasts until Spring. This has gone on for 3 years, and today I had my first episode for the fall, so I guess I am starting another season of this.Whenever I can catch it on tv, I watch mystery diagnosis on the Discovery Health Channel in the hopes that someone will I have what I do. There was only one show they called The Purple Puzzle where this guy was diagnosed with cold agglutinin disease, but it was actually a symptom of a bigger problem he had with his spleen. I have had many expensive tests done in the past 3 years, and have gone both to an endocronologist and neurologist. Unfortunately nothing shows upon any of these tests (MRI, CT Scan, CAT Scan). I know something is wrong, and even the neurologist felt I had a tumor somewhere in my body that was causing all of these symptoms. The one thing that is almost always present when this happens is a headache. I start feeling pressure over both ears -- it seems like blood is rushing to my head. I start cracking my neck when this happens, which is something I never do in any other situation, and I get some relief. I don't feel well when this is occurring -- what I mean to say is that is more than just being red. I don't feel well -- it is almost like I stood on my head for awhile and righted myself up and my blood pressure is out of balance. Oh, often just before the onset of one of these episodes, one or both of my hands will become extremely cold (I believe the blood has left my hands and has gone to my head) or I get a strange chilled sensation across my shoulders and the red face will emerge shortly thereafter. It is like a circulation disorder. I guess we self diagnosis when we can't get answers from the doctor. I would really be interested in knowing if you also share any of the other symptoms I have. Hi,I'm 25 years old and have experienced the numbness in my toes,mainly my big toe and red hot hands. Sometimes my hands are red and hot and only one finger will be freezing cold!! It's so weird!! Also, I experience the exremely hot face on one side with freezing hands and feet. My toe turns white,to purple,I get so scared that I might loose my toe for some crazy reason. Sometimes just my nose turns really red and burning up. It's so embarrassing and I don't know what the cause is. I'm just happy to hear that I'm not the only one out there wondering what's going on. I haven't seen a doctor b/c I don't think it's worth getting stuck with a bunch of needles for yet but it does become a pain to live with. My hands can go from freezing cold, while the rest of my body is normal temperature,to bright red and hot!! It's out of control and I just wish I knew what it was. The worse part to live with is when only half my face or just my nose is burning red with my white numb toe that i can't feel. If anyone has any input that can help me figure out the cause of my problem besides Reynauds, please post. Thanks
    AdamD097 1 Replies
    • October 30, 2009
    • 06:20 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I live in Singapore, temperature here can get as high as 31 degree. I am 20. In an air conditioned room, my face can feel hot that I need a fan to cool down. And my hands and feet will be very cold. I have gout. It ususally happens when I see in front of the ***n computer.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 17, 2009
    • 06:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello,I am A bit worried.These things just started happening on mondayI Have cold hands, severe headache, sore eyes.. even more if i go into light placesand my back is starting to hurt a little.I Dont Know If This Is Serious But I'm Scared in case it is.i have no health problems but there is diabetics in my familyhelp please.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 14, 2010
    • 04:28 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hi~same thing here - but I have found some things to avoid that will keep it at bay.These things I just learned on my own (over the course of several years) even though the Dermatologist thought it was just some weird form of Rosacea....First of all, your best friend is fresh air - second, any indoor area that has a MOLD problem stay away from as much as possible, or get the problem fixed! You may not think you have a mold issue, HOPEfully you don't, but open up you air handler or have a professional open it, and look inside. A small amount will be normal if the unit is not new, say 7 years or so. But if there is a stench of "dead air" or staleness, the mold is probably escalated. The metal gets ice cold from the cold air and sweats. After years pass mold starts to really accumulate. This happens even inside vehicle air boxes after time. I really think a buildup of mold is what causes this mystery !!!third, avoid really hot liquids (drink or shower) If you have a flare up where your face gets really hot, flush with cold tap water for about 2-3 minutes straight. Very inconvienent, but I find will take the redness out of your face.fourth, any kind of perfumes or strong fragrances such as, fabric softener or detergent sets mine off! I have to use all fabric detergent and special shampoos and sink soaps. This is so so so frustrating!Also, sitting too close to any electronic display such as a computer or tv sets mine off every time!Keep in mind that you may find that if you keep your face from getting hot, your hands will be closer to normal. That's what I find anyways.One day hopefully we will find a simple cure for this VERY aggrevating phenomenon. Sorry if I mispelled a lot of words here.I am no professional on this matter, but I am just sharing tips on how to deal with this awful matter. I have my own theory. I think it is from being exposed to a concentrated mold environment for years, as I worked in one for 12+ years and did not even know it!
    twirlyboggs 1 Replies
    • January 26, 2010
    • 00:34 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement