Discussions By Condition: Muscle conditions

Diastasis recti in adult male

Posted In: Muscle conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 17, 2007
  • 01:28 AM

I've read pro's and con's on the decision of whether to get this surgically repaired. My husband is a 49-year old male with diastasis recti (separation of the abdominal muscles). The only time you can see it bulge is if he's lifting weights or doing something strenuous. The bulge is oblong and raises up about an inch or so from his abdomen during the time of straining, and runs a length of about 4-5 inches. It's scary looking-like something's going to burst if he holds the strain much longer. I can't stand to watch him bench press...I usually just walk away because it worries me.

Most of what I've read is on post-pregnancy women and occasionally newborns with this problem...very little about men. The little I've read says that most men who do get it surgically repaired do so for cosmetic reasons.

My only concern in not getting it done is that my husband works a very physical job and he loves to exercise and lift weights, though he's slacked off exercising considerably until we determine whether this was a hernia. Could his continuing to exert heavy stress on that area pose a potential health threat in the future?

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement