Discussions By Condition: Liver conditions

Gall Bladder scan showed Fatty Liver...what does this mean?

Posted In: Liver conditions 56 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 16, 2007
  • 04:43 PM

A little background first...I am a 31 yr old female that was mostly healthy until about three years ago. I've had hypoglycemia since I was 16 and was diagnosed with underactive thyroid 2 1/2 years ago. I had gestational diabetes with both of my pregnancies. Now for the current problem...I was having mild lower right side abdominal pain for about 2 weeks that started radiating to other areas and decided that I should have it checked out because both my mom and sister have had there gall bladder out...After a ton of questions and when the Dr. was about to send me on my way with a prevacid sample (great stuff BTW) I practically had to tell them to send me in for a UT on my gallbladder. another week later I finally got in to have the scan and since it was over the Thanksgiving holiday I was supposed to get a call from the Dr. on Monday...finally after 3 days of leaving messages and not hearing anything back from the office my husband left a message that the Dr. couldn't ignore...he made it sound like an emergency...the Dr. seemed annoyed when he realized that all I wanted were my test results but went and got them anyway and told me it was fatty liver and nothing else was showing up in the blood work so all I needed to do was follow a low fat diet and lose weight.

Easier said than done...The fatty liver and underactive thyroid make it nearly impossible to lose weight...I have been trying to lose about 40 pounds for 3 years...I go to the gym every week day and try to stick to my diet as close as possible...and still the scales are creeping up and not down.

Sorry for the long post...but can anyone help me out on what I should do to lose weight (diet pills are out since I'm on thyroid meds) and how serious is fatty liver anyway?

Thank you,

Jenn

Reply Flag this Discussion

56 Replies:

• Jenn,You sound exactly like me. I am 32 and was recently diagnosed with fatty liver. I have gained about 65 pounds in 14 mo. This all started for me after the birth of my baby 15 mo. ago. I have been to alot of Dr's and got diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and now the fatty liver. I am having a terrible time losing weight also. It is horrible! I am not used to being this overweight and it is breaking me down. It is really hard when you are trying and not getting anywhere. Most of my weight gain has been around the abdomen. I am now having some right upper quadrant pain in my abdomen. It is a dull annoying pain. I just wanted to let you know that I understand how you feel. It is a very depressing thing to go through. Please let me know if you find anything that works for you and I will do the same.Courtney
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 23, 2007
    • 11:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Jenn has it detailed for me. Mine started 4 years ago when I had my hysterectomy. The only difference is when I bend over I have an area that spasms to the point that it stops me in my tracks. I have have the cat scan the ultra scan the upper and lower gi's. They cannot find anything wrong with my gallbladder,or pancreas. A ultra sound did show a swelling in my duct area from my liver. But no bigee they say. Just a fatty liver. Can someone help us.Thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 12, 2007
    • 11:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • :eek: I too have been diagnosed w/fatty liver. Had a liver biopsy last Aug, when gallbladder was removed due to gallstones. Fatty liver can be serious. It can progress from simple fatty liver to NASH (non-alcoholic steatohepatitis) all the way to cirrhosis, then liver failure or even cancer. You must stay away from anything that affects the liver-tylenol, NSAIDS, Alcohol, any other meds. You must also control diabetes, high blood pressure, and cholesterol. Stay on a low-fat diet. Fatty liver in it's early form, can actually be reversed through a low fat diet, exercise, weight loss, etc. Have your Doc monitor your liver enzymes through blood tests periodically too. I read EVERYTHING I can get my hands on concerning the liver. You have to be your own advocate and be persistent if you feel something is not right. American Liver Foundation has a lot of useful info. Good luck
    flappergirl 1 Replies
    • February 18, 2007
    • 10:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Well it's nice to know that it is not all in my head afterall...Nice to know that there are others like me.I don't remember if I mentioned that I am on Wellbutrin as well...but I am and recently started thinking that could have caused the liver problems and some of the weight gain so I started researching it and found that it says if you have any liver/kidney problems you should tell your doctor before taking Wellbutrin. Since I have been going to the same doctor I trusted them to know what I was on and what shouldn't mix. It looks like to me when they told me about the fatty liver they should have also taken steps to take me off of the Wellbutrin.I know how busy doctors are and how many patients they are supposed to push through in a day to satisfy the insurance companies...but I also know that I am paying them good money to help me figure out what I should and shouldn't take.I have left two messages with the dr's office in the last week telling them that I want to discuss coming off of my meds and I have not had any response yet. I would just stop taking it except that it warns not to because it could cause seizures.Sorry...I'm just fed up and at the end of my rope with a husband that thinks I'm a hypochondriac...well mabe not that bad but he is tired of listening to me.Thanks for letting me vent.Jennifer
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 20, 2007
    • 09:28 PM
    Flag this Response
  • WOW i can certainly relate to all of this.39 yrs old. About 15 months ago, I had 2 gallbladder attacks and had my gallbladder removed, but was also told I had a "fatty liver" In fact the US tech asked if I ever had hepatitis. I have recently begun taking (and LOVE) Wellbrutrin (for about 6 months now). It is the ONE thing that helps with my weight, and my mental health. with dieting, exercise and wellbrutirn, I went from 299 to 175 in about 6 months and have kept it off. I can't imagine my mental stability without the wellbrutrin. I am now concerned about my fatty liver. The doc did say to stay away from alcohol, and I rarely drink anyway (a few glasses of wine at holidays and thats about it). I didn't know about Tylenol either!I began having pain near my belly button (on my right side). 2 docs examined me and told me it could be any of the following: ovarian cyst, chronic appendicitis, hernia or pulled muscle. pain comes and goes, mostly with stretching, bending over, or it hits right where my pants fit my waistline, so sometimes that makes it tender. Going for upper and lower ct next week. just my 2 cents.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 22, 2007
    • 07:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I finally got in to see my dr and she put me on wellbutrin xl 150 for a month and then told me to just stop...I questioned her about my liver and whether that could have caused the liver issues and she said "but your enzymes were normal so I don't think you have anything to worry about" to which I replied I know but the scan showed fatty liver and that I constantly have pain in the region of my liver and she still didn't seem too concerned so now I'm thinking it is time to find a new dr...one that will return phone calls and at least act concerned about me.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • A little background first...I am a 31 yr old female that was mostly healthy until about three years ago. I've had hypoglycemia since I was 16 and was diagnosed with underactive thyroid 2 1/2 years ago. I had gestational diabetes with both of my pregnancies. Now for the current problem...I was having mild lower right side abdominal pain for about 2 weeks that started radiating to other areas and decided that I should have it checked out because both my mom and sister have had there gall bladder out...After a ton of questions and when the Dr. was about to send me on my way with a prevacid sample (great stuff BTW) I practically had to tell them to send me in for a UT on my gallbladder. another week later I finally got in to have the scan and since it was over the Thanksgiving holiday I was supposed to get a call from the Dr. on Monday...finally after 3 days of leaving messages and not hearing anything back from the office my husband left a message that the Dr. couldn't ignore...he made it sound like an emergency...the Dr. seemed annoyed when he realized that all I wanted were my test results but went and got them anyway and told me it was fatty liver and nothing else was showing up in the blood work so all I needed to do was follow a low fat diet and lose weight.Easier said than done...The fatty liver and underactive thyroid make it nearly impossible to lose weight...I have been trying to lose about 40 pounds for 3 years...I go to the gym every week day and try to stick to my diet as close as possible...and still the scales are creeping up and not down.Sorry for the long post...but can anyone help me out on what I should do to lose weight (diet pills are out since I'm on thyroid meds) and how serious is fatty liver anyway?Thank you,JennHi Jenn,Thats what my hubby has,its called N.A.S.H. Fatty Liver,No Alcholic Cerhossis of the liver.take care
  • hi jean and everyone,I too am going through the same thing. have had pain in my stomach for years. have been diagnosed with IBS too. Lately pain was up higher. in middle of stomach and to the right under rib cage as well as tenderness lower in abdomen. Anyway, my dr. ordered gallbladder scan and upper GI. Scan showed a fatty liver. Nothing else showed anything. Medical asst. called yesterday and said just a fatty liver, nothing to worry about. Well, that is just great, i said and she said i have one too and the only thing you can do is lose weight. She is very over weight. I to am over weight about 30 lbs. But, she is really over weight and stated that although i was not that over weight it is what i have and to lose weight. Sure wish some one could elaborate on all of this. i have had numerous surgeries and am wondering if it is just adhesions that is giving me my pain. I suffer from chronic back pain and have been on methadone for years for pain. I wonder if that is doing it? No one seems to offer any information. If anyone has any info. about this condition please post. Thank you in advance and good luck to all of you fellow fatty liver acquaintences!
  • Hi, I am in my 30's and also found out through an u/s of my kidneys that I have a fatty liver! What shock! 2 Dr.'s said only to lose weight and follow a low fat diet. I posted my symptoms on 4/24 by V52. I too, took Wellbutrin for about 4 years. It lifted my mood and energy, but after I had children, I no longer feel any depression, just anxiety (no joke intended) mostly when I was post partum. For that I take a low dose of zoloft 30 mg. It has been recommended to me on Med Help Weight loss forum that I start a liver cleanse. Also, stop taking any meds and start juicing to detoxify my liver. Milk Thistle and a couple of other things, too. I used to be a normal weight, but gained 80 pounds in my mid 20's. I would sometimes gain 8 pounds in one week! Seriously, there is just something wrong with that when my eating habits didn't change and it wasn't swelling! I gained 60ish pounds my 2nd preg. and only lost about 25, so my weight has swelled to 237! How can a person gain 100 pounds? I know I ate, but never binges. I think this all ties in with a supposedly normal fatty liver. My MIL had Hep C. She was waiting for a liver transplant. One liver came in, but the Dr.'s rejected it as a candidate for her because it was a FATTY LIVER!!! My MIL ended up dying while waiting for a liver. If a Fatty liver is not good enough to transplant in a woman that is dying, how can it be good for us? I also have upper right quadrant pain that is kind of dull and intermittant. Is this my liver? I have a hx of kidney stones and always seem to get them on my right side! Also, I am extremely tired all of the time. I am currently doing a weight loss program that includes Adipex (phentermine), an appetite suppressant and B12/B5 shots. I am also deficient in B12 and that's partly why I am getting the injections. I wonder if I should take it with a fatty liver, but I need to lose this weight, too, and nothing else seems to work. Has anyone ever heard of lipotropics? They are enzymes/vitamins that help facilitate the break down of fat in the liver. I talked to my Dr. (a PA) about all of this and she had never heard of anything. Her husband even found out he has a Fatty Liver, so you would think she would research it a bit...but maybe as an almost-doctor she doesn't believe in alternative medicine. My side is aching as I am sitting here! If I take some pain medicine, will I be making my liver worse in the long run? Sorry for my rant, but this is so frustrating! If you have a fatty liver and your liver enzymes are normal....how long before they become ABnormal? Maybe fatty liver precedes the abnormal bloodwork? If anyone gets any information on a true plan to follow, please let me know! I will subscribe to this thread to get emails of posts. Thank you, everyone! Lets stick together and get some answers!!!! If you are interested in the regimen I was recommended (not by a Dr., just a health nut), please let me know and I will post it in this thread. Or leave your email. Take care! V.
  • Hi, I was trying to find help and I found you all. Everything sounds familiar. I have been pre diabetic hypoglycemic forever and I am also low in IGG IGA which means my first two immune responses are not there for me when I need them. This took 51 years of life to find out- I am very annoyed because I always was sick and the penny never dropped for my doctors, and now to beat eveything else my 'low values' of IGA and IGG may not be low enough to get treatment. So what if I am sick all the time. So in the meantime. I been having chest pain and upper right abdominal pain in the area of my gallbladder. I had my gallbladder out and they said it was sluggish. Now they say that the opening is larger than usual (this is about a year ago). I have pain it seems like heart attack pain and I think it might be arthritic pain from my upper thoracic spine- I've had three Fusions- 2 cervical and 1 lumbar. When I read your posts I couldn't help relate to the weight gain and the other symptoms. I am taking slow release pain meds and panadiene forte and voltaren. I am finding it almost impossible to go with out the voltaren (an anti inflammatory). The drug is known to cause chest pain and heart attack- if I have it right- and I do not know what to do. my pain is pretty extreme, yesterday I could hardly walk or half the day. No one knows how it can be when you have pain every day. I was counting on having the treatment from my immunologist because in a small proportion of people it helps with inflammation of the joints- something like rhuematiod arthritis (I was hoping that my pain would subside- even a little). I just had a very close friend die of kidney failure due to gold treatment and other meds or her rhuematiod arthritis. She was only 52. BTW she also had problems with her heart and had diabetes but she was doing ok a month before. I am so scared and worried. I have been ready to throw in the towel for so long and the only reason I stick around is my kids seem to want me here. I really just want not to feel ill or have pain for a little while. anyone have any thoughts to share? I send great big hugs to all of you, I have a feeling I know how it is for you
  • Hi, I am in my 30's and also found out through an u/s of my kidneys that I have a fatty liver! What shock! 2 Dr.'s said only to lose weight and follow a low fat diet. I posted my symptoms on 4/24 by V52. I too, took Wellbutrin for about 4 years. It lifted my mood and energy, but after I had children, I no longer feel any depression, just anxiety (no joke intended) mostly when I was post partum. For that I take a low dose of zoloft 30 mg. It has been recommended to me on Med Help Weight loss forum that I start a liver cleanse. Also, stop taking any meds and start juicing to detoxify my liver. Milk Thistle and a couple of other things, too. I used to be a normal weight, but gained 80 pounds in my mid 20's. I would sometimes gain 8 pounds in one week! Seriously, there is just something wrong with that when my eating habits didn't change and it wasn't swelling! I gained 60ish pounds my 2nd preg. and only lost about 25, so my weight has swelled to 237! How can a person gain 100 pounds? I know I ate, but never binges. I think this all ties in with a supposedly normal fatty liver. My MIL had Hep C. She was waiting for a liver transplant. One liver came in, but the Dr.'s rejected it as a candidate for her because it was a FATTY LIVER!!! My MIL ended up dying while waiting for a liver. If a Fatty liver is not good enough to transplant in a woman that is dying, how can it be good for us? I also have upper right quadrant pain that is kind of dull and intermittant. Is this my liver? I have a hx of kidney stones and always seem to get them on my right side! Also, I am extremely tired all of the time. I am currently doing a weight loss program that includes Adipex (phentermine), an appetite suppressant and B12/B5 shots. I am also deficient in B12 and that's partly why I am getting the injections. I wonder if I should take it with a fatty liver, but I need to lose this weight, too, and nothing else seems to work. Has anyone ever heard of lipotropics? They are enzymes/vitamins that help facilitate the break down of fat in the liver. I talked to my Dr. (a PA) about all of this and she had never heard of anything. Her husband even found out he has a Fatty Liver, so you would think she would research it a bit...but maybe as an almost-doctor she doesn't believe in alternative medicine. My side is aching as I am sitting here! If I take some pain medicine, will I be making my liver worse in the long run? Sorry for my rant, but this is so frustrating! If you have a fatty liver and your liver enzymes are normal....how long before they become ABnormal? Maybe fatty liver precedes the abnormal bloodwork? If anyone gets any information on a true plan to follow, please let me know! I will subscribe to this thread to get emails of posts. Thank you, everyone! Lets stick together and get some answers!!!! If you are interested in the regimen I was recommended (not by a Dr., just a health nut), please let me know and I will post it in this thread. Or leave your email. Take care! V.Your symptoms are familiar to me. I am male age 40, recently diagnosed with fatty liver when having bloods done for lethargy, no pains at the time. I am not considered overweight but don't exercise much & have a history of social drinking. My ALT result was 105 and the Doc said "you have fatty liver avoid alcohol and junk food". I have since tried hard to follow the rules, although have let slip a few times and now find 80% of the time I have developed a dull aching pain under right side ribs, at the lower back too, which comes & goes, also seems to move around. I am going for CT and having new bloods done, will let you know how i get on. Doc reckons could be kidney stones, possibly even cirrohsis, I am scared about the latter as I know it is serious. Is there any treatment for cirrhosis? Take care everyone.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hi I am in my late thirties. While I consulted my doctor about the pain I feel at the right upper panel of my abdomen he prescribed ultrasound examination and the result showed that fatty liver is the cause of the pain. He told me to frequent vegitabale and fruits and avoid meat and alcohols. Some other people however told me to drink Whisky to melt the fat. Do you think the alcohol is of great importance? Should I stop drinking coffee and eating red meat?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 13, 2007
    • 07:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have recently been diagnosed with fatty liver and am confused as to some conflicting advice and the causes.For example I've seen web sites saying eatting a fatty diet does itself lead to a fatty liver, and to avoid coffee. But then I've seen other web sites saying to avoid a fatty diet and coffee etc. The doctor recommended milk thistle, is there good evidence that this is useful?
    hotcheese 1 Replies
    • October 15, 2007
    • 07:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Boy it is nice to find this site! It is almost 5 am and i have not slept yet. DUE to the pain in my right side that is throbbing. If touched it spasms. My DR had me have an ultra sound and CT scan and said i had an enlarged fatty Liver. Told me if I did not loose weight, well lets just say he said it is life or death. NICE. I have tried for years since the hystectomy to no avail and now my life depends on it. The pain is getting worse and I have been deciding whether to go to the hosp. or not. I can't sleep. Everyone tells me I am loosing a little weight, hmm I do not notice. I think they want me to keep my spirits up. I am a Diabetic on insulin, on all kids of meds. I am 42 yrs old. I just do not know what to do, i sure feel horrible. I have the runs and some foods coming out not digested. Okay sorry too much info maybe. I just do not know what to do. I am a bit afraid. I wonder how do you know when serioes is serious and you need to go to the hosp.?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 17, 2007
    • 09:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • HelloIsn't it better to be safe rather than potentialy sorry? Especially if you are worried. Let us know how you get on.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 17, 2007
    • 11:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • When the Dr says you need to go on a low fat diet, do you realize what that entails. I was told by my cardiologist that I should consume 15 to 30 grams of fat per day....but not to exceed the 15 grams until my weight was down 50 pounds. I started reading labels....and I found out that my fat intake was over 300 grams on most days. I could go over 100 grams of fat in ONE visit to Burger King!! Any meal that contains more than 15 grams of fat will cause liver pain---that pain that each of you has described already. Eliminate cheese and all dairy and you will notice an immediate difference. Check out Susan Powter's Stop the Insanity for lots of info on fat in foods. Hope this helps you to feel better.
    outposter 6 Replies
    • October 20, 2007
    • 04:01 AM
    Flag this Response
  • :confused: hello everyone i am new here and i too have been dionosed with having nonalcoholic steatohepatitis i am having a hard time dealing with it..i too took different antidepressiants and i am wondering if they didnt cause this to happen i had never had any problems with my blood work untill june of this year my liver enymes kept coming back elevated and my cholestrol and tricliserides since being on a low fat diet my tryis have came down and my cholestrol has came down a little i have to go back for more blood work next month..i guess my ? is do any or all of you stay in pain all the time and not to mention tired and weak all over i can barely go some days i have to make myself get up and do things its not a good feeling..i pray everyday that god would heal me from this terriable thing going on within me and i pray he does the same for all of us here on this sight..well i hope to hear from some of you.. have a great day god bless us all hugs sherry
    countrygrl837 3 Replies
    • November 10, 2007
    • 02:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My front tooth recently had bone reabsortion after a bad root canal I had years ago. The tooth became abcessed and the infection came back twice after being pulled. I was on all these antiobiotics (clindamycin, flagyl and avelox) to try to stop it. Anyway it stopped my abcess but it also stopped the pain in my side! I have had the pain in my side for at least the last 6 years. I had my gallbladder out because they said that was the cause of it - it helped some but not for long and really never took care of it. Then I had an ERCP and developed pancreatitis. I still had the pain. I was to the point I could not sleep on my right side because it hurt so bad. The specialist said I have a fatty liver, but pain on your right side is not a symptom. A friend said maybe I had H pylori. Yesterday I told my regular doctor and he agrees and he is going to run a blood test for it. I will let you know the results. Researching hpylori on the internet I would not think it's a good fit to my symptoms but her doctor said pain on the right is a symptom. I just know I have never felt this good so either it's the antiobiotics or getting the tooth out???I have found that taking Ambrotose from Mannatech helped a little with the pain. It is expensive but I was hurting so bad I was willing to try anything. It taste really bad though.The foods that would really trigger an episode of pain were things like mints and certain breads. I would never know if some food was going to cause alot of pain.I have also gained alot of weight in recent years. I am also on thyroid medicine. I am also menopausal, but my night sweats and hot flashes have also stopped since being on all these antiobiotics. I am 47 years old.I will get the blood test tommorrow and I'm curious if my liver enzymes will now be better. My side now feels sore but not painful. I will update when I get the results and let you know if I'm positive for H pylori. I hope this helps. I know you feel like the doctors won't listen and can't find a reason for the pain.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 15, 2007
    • 06:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'am so glad I found this page and had the chance to read all of ur stories. I'am a 28 years old female mother of 4 and I was told I had fatty liver one year ago. I was told to lose weight and the pain would subside. I have lost 10lbs and the pain is the same. I live with a constant ache in my upper stomach and it raditates into my back. Somedays I don't want to get out of bed. I always worry that the doctors got it wrong and it is something else more serious, but all of ur stories sound similar to mine. I just there was some medicene they could give you for the pain that isn't bad for ur liver.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 12, 2008
    • 06:52 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I was told that I have a fatty liver too and that I need to lose weight. I still have those same pains also. Do you have indigestion o heart burn sometimes
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement