Discussions By Condition: Blood conditions

high neutrophils low lymphocytes

Posted In: Blood conditions 1 Replies
  • Posted By: zerozink
  • September 20, 2010
  • 02:53 AM

I went to ER for a really bad stomach pain from food poisoning. They ran various test CBC with diff, Liver Panel, and BMP. I was diagnosed with Gastroenteritis. They said test were all fine and sent me home. But this is what I found on the test and it concerns me. I even called ER doctor after I left.

Everything was all in normal range but these things:
WBC 13.27 (4.00 X 10.80) HIGH
Neutrophils 84.3 (48.0-76.0) HIGH
Lymphs 8.7 (18.0-50.0) LOW
Platelets 200 (148-450)

I am scared to death it is Leukemia or Lymphoma. I am 28 year old male with no family history of anything. ER doctor said it's most likely due to infection.

Since then I went to see 2 other docs and they too agree that it's because my immune system was fighting an infection. So if I get rechecked, how long should I wait? Also if everything remains the same is it a sign of blood cancer or lupus? I've been losing a lot of sleep over this. Some doctors are just not knowledgeable on blood test.

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

• I went to ER for a really bad stomach pain from food poisoning. They ran various test CBC with diff, Liver Panel, and BMP. I was diagnosed with Gastroenteritis. They said test were all fine and sent me home. But this is what I found on the test and it concerns me. I even called ER doctor after I left.Everything was all in normal range but these things:WBC 13.27 (4.00 X 10.80) HIGHNeutrophils 84.3 (48.0-76.0) HIGHLymphs 8.7 (18.0-50.0) LOWPlatelets 200 (148-450)I am scared to death it is Leukemia or Lymphoma. I am 28 year old male with no family history of anything. ER doctor said it's most likely due to infection.Since then I went to see 2 other docs and they too agree that it's because my immune system was fighting an infection. So if I get rechecked, how long should I wait? Also if everything remains the same is it a sign of blood cancer or lupus? I've been losing a lot of sleep over this. Some doctors are just not knowledgeable on blood test.White blood cells are elevated with any kind of infection. With an infection such as food poisoning, WBC count will be elevated. High neutrophils and low lymphocytes occur with infection. The opposite (low neutrophils and high lymphocytes) can indicate leukemia. Don't lose sleep :-). If you were to develop cancer, you would have symptoms. A healthy lifestyle is the biggest preventative measure you can take. The 7 warning signs of cancer form the acronym CAUTION:Change in bowel or bladderA Sore that doesn’t healUnusual bleeding or dischargeThickening or lumpIndigestion or difficulty swallowingObvious change in wart or moleNagging cough or hoarsenessThese are symptoms that should trigger you to go get checked out.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 14, 2011
    • 07:49 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement