Discussions By Condition: Mental conditions

Natural alternative to Wellbutrin

Posted In: Mental conditions 1 Replies
  • Posted By: steph1234
  • August 31, 2010
  • 02:50 AM

Hi everyone,

I have been searching for YEARS for a natural alternative to Wellbutrin, and I finally found it and just had to share. I had been on and off Wellbutrin for about 8 years, since I was 18, and it was the only thing that would make me feel "normal" and not completely depressed all the time. I went off of it when I got pregnant and after the birth two years ago I didn't want to go back on it so I did a ton of research about serotonin deficiencies, consulted naturopathic doctors, and tried various mixtures of vitamin supplements and even exercise. (Contrary to what the experts would have us believe exercise didn't do much for my depression, maybe that is singular to someone with a serotonin deficiency). But after 2 years of trial and error what DID work for me is the following combination of vitamins:

5-HTP (a natural serotonin builder)
Omega 3
Vitamin B
Vitamin D

I noticed results with these in about 1-2 weeks. For me at least it seems to be the magic cocktail and I seriously feel just as good (better, actually) than when I'm on Wellbutrin. You just have to be sure you take all of those because one thing missing will throw it off. For example, those of us prone to being manic/depressive can have racing thoughts if you take 5-HTP and are deficient in vitamin B. Or, I found that when I don't take Omega 3 I get depressed again but that taking JUST Omega 3 also won't stave off depression. I'm pretty light so I'm able to get away with the minimum dose for all of those.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone else the way it has helped me!

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

• This looks good, i am going to try it. I take Welbutrine. How come you decided to stop taking it?
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • November 30, 2014
    • 02:06 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement