Discussions By Condition: Thyroid conditions

Rash associated with to much Thyroid hormone

Posted In: Thyroid conditions 19 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • July 18, 2006
  • 10:34 PM

I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism in 2001. I received radioactive iodine and was subsequently placed on synthroid. It has been a struggle for the past5 years to maintain a normal thyroid level. I am currently taking 150mcgs of medication daily. I have had a rash on my left lower back for more than a year. The rash is raised , red and painless. It doesn't itch or cause any discomfort at all. I have my thyroid levels checked every 3 to 4 months and my physician is always happy with my test results on this dose. I was wondering if my levels are too high, and this is causing my skin ailments. Any commenys or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Reply Flag this Discussion

19 Replies:

• Hi, I am curious about this too. I am taking what I believe is too much synthroid and I have had a rash on the sides of my hips and also a spot on the side of my thigh for 4 months. It is red--looks kind of like hives. At one point the bumps get full of fluid. But mine does itch? So maybe one of has the allergy to the synthroid and one of us doesn't? Or maybe we just have different reactions. I went to doctor about this and they just told me to take benadryl at night(not going to do it) and put hydrocortisone cream on it(which I have done). Everything is the same. Has anyone else had a rash reaction to synthroid?ella.d.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 11, 2006
    • 04:17 PM
    Flag this Response
  • how do i post a ques im utterly confused
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 11, 2006
    • 04:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am on a high dose of Synthroid since October of this year...300mcg every day. I have also noticed a rash - on my arms, chest and trunk. I went to the dermatologist and they have no clue. I guess it could be related to the high dose of synthroid.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 22, 2006
    • 03:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • A rash will appear when your thyroid hormone or ATD dose is too high. Time to slowly lower your dosage. Get new labs first and see the results yourself, get a copy.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 22, 2006
    • 05:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for the info - I am scheduled for labs and a scan next week. Appreciate the feedback,Tricia
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 24, 2006
    • 03:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • The rash could be: 1) Allergy to sulfides or artifical color in synthroid. Recommendation: to test this, switch to 50 mcg Levoxyl tablets, and take as many as you need to get your daily does. They are easily splittable into 25 mcg doses. 50 mcg Levoxyl tablets have no sulfides and no artificial colors. 2) Too high a dose, as previously discussed. 3) Symptom of anxiety. Anxiety can occur with thyroid conditions. Recommendation: Speak with your doctor about whether you are having anxiety. Medication can help this: Xanax or Ativan. This does not need to be long term; stay on it until you feel you are at the point where you have a reasonable handle on your health situation and the rest of the contributing factors in your life.
    leeirons 13 Replies
    • November 30, 2006
    • 07:09 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi. Was your rash problem ever resolved? I had a total thyroidectomy 10 days ago due to a nodule on my thyroid found to be papillary cancer. I have been taking Synthroid as of the day after the surgery. I noticed 4 days later that I have a really bad rash on my back, sides, hips, arms & breasts. The rash is red, raised & very itchy. The rash area becomes very dark as it heals & there is a large amount of dry skin that forms. It is also spreading. I have putting hydrocortisone on it & have been taking Benadryl, it seems to help the first areas heal but not stopping the spreading. I am scheduled to see a dermatologist tomorrow but after reading up on it I feel as if I might just be waisting a co-pay. Please advise if your rash cleared up or is it something that you have been dealing w/from the start of Synthroid w/no sign of clearing up?? Tai
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • You will definitely find that you can get both dry skin and rashes associated with unbalanced thyroid hormones in your body. This can happen when you have an untreated thyroid condition. Unbalanced thyroid hormones can also happen as a result of artificial thyroid hormone replacement, since any thyroid hormones that you take are not being controlled by your body's own endocrine system. Your thyroid hormone levels will always be relatively unbalanced compared to a normally functioning person, no matter how good your TSH looks. Artificial hormone replacement can never do as well as the body's natural system. You can get to the point where you have these various weird symptoms, like rashes, under control, and feel good about your health, again. I found that taking Armour Thyroid sublingually helped bring my dry skin and rashes more under control, and also reduced my irritable bowel syndrome symtpoms. Go to www.stopthethyroidmadness.com to find out more about the approach. It is the only treatment approach that has made me feel better overall. I have tried straight levothyroxine (for over 2 years with symptos getting worse) and sustained-release T3 (completely cleared up my dry skin and rashes, but made my irritable bowel syndrome worse). Feel free to communicate with me at my email address, leeirons@cox.net.
    leeirons 13 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi,I 's been taking Synthroid for the last 6.5 years. I started having hives (smooth button like) about 3.5 year ago. It was only a few on my cheeks or near my jaw lines. It was kind of itchy but was not that bad. I took 12-hour Claritine and they went away in a couple of hours. They came back once in a while every couple weeks or couple of months. Then 3 year ago, I started having hives/rash on my face, arms, hands, feet,..., every where. The hives/rash this time started with smooth button like, and very very ... very itchy, then they rose up like the mosquito bites, stayed itchy for the whole week even with the anti-histamine. When the itch stopped, the hives/rash looked like black scars for a whole month! My allergy doctor, who could not figure out what wrong with me, gave me 1 Allegra in the morning, 1/2 Zyrtec in the afternoon and 1 more Zyrtec at night to calm my irritation. At some point, my nose, lips were kind of swollen he even added Benedryl and asked me to go to the emergency because it happened at night. He told me to take a not too warm bath for 20 minutes 2, 3 times a week and put lotion on every where right after I got out of the water. This help to calm down the skin a lillte bit. Actually he thought it might be the Synthroid but did not tell me why. I mentioned it to my Thyroid doctor but he did not think so. I totally forgot to check the Web and had suffered for the last 3.5 year. Big mistake. Two month ago, my Thyroid doctor finally asked if I still had hives/rash and mentioned that a patient of his had rash while taking some colored Synthroid pills and the rash went away after he changed it to the 0.5 mcg WHITE pills. He replaced my color pills with the WHITE ones (up the pills per day to maintain my dosage) and asked me to call him back after 2 weeks. Over the last 3 years starting with 1.5 pills of Zyrtec + 1 Allegra, every 3,6 months I reduced them down to 1 Zyrtec + 1 Allegra, then 1 Zyrtec, then 1/2 Zyrtec, then finally down to 1 Claritine a day for the last 2 years. Make the story short, after taking the WHITE pills, I tried to reduce the Claritine to half a pill a day but I felt like the itch start coming back. I stopped reducing my Claritine dosage. A week ago, 2 months after I took the first WHITE pills, I stopped taking the Claritine. The first 3,4 days I did not feel itchy. The last couple of days I felt my skin was a little irritated, and sometimes a tinny pin head hive popped up. I am very hopeful that the WHITE pills work. Just as it took 3 years to start the hives, it might take a few months to rid of it :) It was the first time that I was off Claritine for the whole week and did not have a bunch of the very, ... very itchy hives popped up.
  • Hi I'm 28 yrs old female and I'v also got a red (itchy at times) rash on my chest. The spots are qiute raised and spread out across my chest, and sometimes scab over. I am not taking any medication for hormones but I was refered for a lump at the side of my breats which was diagnosed as being hormone related. Would this be that I am producing too many hormones? I have also noticed very fine hair growing on my chest and wondered could that be the cause of the rash? blocked hair follicules? or is it just that the hormone levels are creating the rash?? Im desperate for answers because Im feeling so consious.
  • Hi. Was your rash problem ever resolved? I had a total thyroidectomy 10 days ago due to a nodule on my thyroid found to be papillary cancer. I have been taking Synthroid as of the day after the surgery. I noticed 4 days later that I have a really bad rash on my back, sides, hips, arms & breasts. The rash is red, raised & very itchy. The rash area becomes very dark as it heals & there is a large amount of dry skin that forms. It is also spreading. I have putting hydrocortisone on it & have been taking Benadryl, it seems to help the first areas heal but not stopping the spreading. I am scheduled to see a dermatologist tomorrow but after reading up on it I feel as if I might just be waisting a co-pay. Please advise if your rash cleared up or is it something that you have been dealing w/from the start of Synthroid w/no sign of clearing up?? TaiI am so excited to read your post.....you describ exactly what I have had for 2 1/2 months. I went off my sythroid at the request of the Dermatologist during the same time I was taking my first round of steriods to try and help clear this up. During that first round of steroid, felt it was clearing up, but had an appointment with my regular doctor to have my yearly check up and when she check my thyroid levels they were extremely high because I had no synthroid at that time for almost 3 weeks, so she had me go back on immediately and as I was finishing up the end of the Steriods the rash becan to return. I think now that it might just be the synthroid causing the rash. The Dermatologist keeps telling me this looks like for sure a drug reaction, but I don't take any other drugs but Synthoriod. But, you have decribed my rash to the tee.......I am so excited. I am going to print from this web site and take to the dermatologist appointment on Friday. I noticed that you wrote this a couple of years ago.. Did you get this resolved?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 25, 2010
    • 03:36 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I have had hives/rash now for 2 yrs...I have been to family doctors,dermatologists several times and allergists....Either no answer or its just ulticaria(sp). Said take a pepcid during awake time and claritin during sleep time.... This helps some of the time......The rash hives comes and gos when they please and not only does it itch like crazy but in some places its painful...i dont think there has been a part of the body that has had this THING...I have been reading alot here about the synthroid pill...I have been on this for just about 2 yrs. just when this all started....I also have noticed this was about the same time we started to use mail order pscrips. That is when i got the little colored synthroid instead of the little white pill......I plan to see my doctor again and get a new blood workup and then go back to the little white pills and test this out.......Would LOVE to see this work......I've tried to figure what and why's for yrs now..and nothing seems to help...If anyone else has any ideas please post here.....thanks much.....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 13, 2010
    • 10:34 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had hives/rash now for 2 yrs...I have been to family doctors,dermatologists several times and allergists....Either no answer or its just ulticaria(sp). Said take a pepcid during awake time and claritin during sleep time.... This helps some of the time......The rash hives comes and gos when they please and not only does it itch like crazy but in some places its painful...i dont think there has been a part of the body that has had this THING...I have been reading alot here about the synthroid pill...I have been on this for just about 2 yrs. just when this all started....I also have noticed this was about the same time we started to use mail order pscrips. That is when i got the little colored synthroid instead of the little white pill......I plan to see my doctor again and get a new blood workup and then go back to the little white pills and test this out.......Would LOVE to see this work......I've tried to figure what and why's for yrs now..and nothing seems to help...If anyone else has any ideas please post here.....thanks much.....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 13, 2010
    • 10:40 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, I am curious about this too. I am taking what I believe is too much synthroid and I have had a rash on the sides of my hips and also a spot on the side of my thigh for 4 months. It is red--looks kind of like hives. At one point the bumps get full of fluid. But mine does itch? So maybe one of has the allergy to the synthroid and one of us doesn't? Or maybe we just have different reactions. I went to doctor about this and they just told me to take benadryl at night(not going to do it) and put hydrocortisone cream on it(which I have done). Everything is the same. Has anyone else had a rash reaction to synthroid?ella.d.HI,i have Rashes on my face only with very dry skin. but it's on and off. i have Hypothyroidism. i was taking Synthroid 75mcg then changed to 65mcg. now i am taking 50mcg. my T4 was high. so my dosage was reduced. i have been getting Rashes on my face since i have started Synthroid. i am thinking these Rashes are becuse of Synthroid but family doctor says it has nothing to do with my thyroid problem. does anyone has answer for it??
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 10, 2010
    • 07:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I also have the bad rash all over my body. bottom of legs hips arms back of knee area its outragous. Itches to no end. leg is actually sore from scratching. have been to derma. and he gave me cream and steroid treatment. never phased it. Cant get rid of it and dont know what to do except treat it with benadryl and other allergy meds to help with the icthing. be nice if we could get some help. I take synthroid and i quess there is something in it that i am alergic to. but i cant go without it so dont know whats up with this. would love to get some help but my money is going to waste with the dr.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 14, 2010
    • 07:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • For many hormones, including most protein hormones, the receptor is membrane-associated and embedded in the plasma membrane at the surface of the cell. The interaction of hormone and receptor typically triggers a cascade of secondary effects within the cytoplasm of the cell, often involving phosphorylation or dephosphorylation of various other cytoplasmic proteins, changes in ion channel permeability, or increased concentrations of intracellular molecules that may act as secondary messengers (e.g., cyclic AMP). Some protein hormones also interact with intracellular receptors located in the cytoplasm or nucleus by an intracrine mechanism.human growth hormone
    Leontina 3 Replies
    • December 8, 2010
    • 05:52 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, I am curious about this too. I am taking what I believe is too much synthroid and I have had a rash on the sides of my hips and also a spot on the side of my thigh for 4 months. It is red--looks kind of like hives. At one point the bumps get full of fluid. But mine does itch? So maybe one of has the allergy to the synthroid and one of us doesn't? Or maybe we just have different reactions. I went to doctor about this and they just told me to take benadryl at night(not going to do it) and put hydrocortisone cream on it(which I have done). Everything is the same. Has anyone else had a rash reaction to synthroid?ella.d.I am allergic to all but Levoxyl in terms of generic/brand name Synthroid. Anything else I take gives me hives. I had all out itching for months the last time I tried something new for a short time. I have a rash again, now, and am worried that I may now be allergic to Levoxyl also.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 4, 2011
    • 02:22 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Good to know that the itch/rash can be related to too much thyroid med and not necessarily a brand. I felt very much better on increasing my Armour Thyroid from 1 60mg/da to 2 per day. Then the rash/itching developed. I experienced this allergy from sulfa/sulfonamide drugs and discontinued them. I'll cut the 2nd 60mg in half in hopes the issue will resolve because I do need more than the 60mg. While having the itching, the Aveeno Calamine & Pramoxine HCI Anti-Itch Cream gives complete relief. Aveeno has several Anti-Itch products and I think any with their Natural Colloidal Oatmeal will work well.
    sixrealms 1 Replies
    • January 27, 2011
    • 07:45 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi. Was your rash problem ever resolved? I had a total thyroidectomy 10 days ago due to a nodule on my thyroid found to be papillary cancer. I have been taking Synthroid as of the day after the surgery. I noticed 4 days later that I have a really bad rash on my back, sides, hips, arms & breasts. The rash is red, raised & very itchy. The rash area becomes very dark as it heals & there is a large amount of dry skin that forms. It is also spreading. I have putting hydrocortisone on it & have been taking Benadryl, it seems to help the first areas heal but not stopping the spreading. I am scheduled to see a dermatologist tomorrow but after reading up on it I feel as if I might just be waisting a co-pay. Please advise if your rash cleared up or is it something that you have been dealing w/from the start of Synthroid w/no sign of clearing up?? Taihey was your problem resolved? I have the same problem for two months, I am not on any meds. I have an overactive thyroid and Have for 5 years, but these rashes just started.
    ricehi 1 Replies
    • January 3, 2012
    • 01:26 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement