Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Head Pressure, Shortness of Beath, Tingling in face arms and legs, Chills down legs

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 8 Replies
  • Posted By: MDClarkson
  • August 2, 2010
  • 08:04 PM

Anyone have these similar symptoms and have a successful diagnosis? Been dealing with these problems for this entire year (some symptoms even longer - specifically the breathing problems).

The two main problems have been:

Shortness of breath (not all of the time, but it's been on and off for about two years)

Head pressure in the left side of my head (this has been everyday, but with varying degrees of severity. On my most severe days, I can barely focus enough to read my emails.)

I also have tingling sensations in my face, arms and legs. Chills that shoot down my entire body.

I've had long term muscle (and weight) loss. This has continued despite working out on a very frequent basis.

I am constipated most of the time so I take a lot of fiber. However, sometimes, I have diarrhea for no apparent reason. The constipation, though, could be from the water pill I'm prescribed for high blood pressure.

I'm frequently fatigued. This is atypical of me. Usually I have a lot of energy and I have a high sense of drive and purpose.

An MRI I had a few weeks ago showed nothing, completely clean. Blood tests showed a slightly low Vitamin B12 (which doesn't make much sense because I eat white meat pretty much every day) and slightly elevated muscle enzyme levels - I have know idea what that can mean but my neurologist thinks it's nothing.

Everyone think it's stress but my stress level has been lower recently than it was two to three years ago. Work has been good and my relationship has been strong with the exception of this continuing health issue.

Any help is much appreciated.

Reply Flag this Discussion

8 Replies:

• O k i just posted this almost exact thing..my post hasnt shown up yet. I,m also low in B12?? Dont know why either. I,m border line i was told. Tried B12 tabs and got a reaction to them..ughhh Its a Vitamin for god sake..how can i be allergic. I get all the other stuff to except teh breathign trouble although i did have that earlier in teh eyar..it went away. I,m wondering if its anxiety? Not the B 12 obviously but all the other stuff.Ive also lost weight without..almost 20 pounds and i cant afford to..i,m small. Well whenever my post shows you can read it.
    snow1958 9 Replies Flag this Response
  • To both the above posters, you both appear to have a B12 issue. Some can get symptoms of B12 deficiency even when their B12 levels are in the lower range of normal. (many doctors dont realise this and may not pay attention to it when it is in fact causing symptoms). Deficiency symptoms of B12 areanemiaweaknessmuscle wastingshortness of breathpoor cordinationimpaired memoryfatigueprogressive developing paranoiamood swingscreeping paraylses of nerves and muscles nerve damagetingling(there are many other symptoms it can give on top of these). Stress causes your body to be using up B12 faster............ I myself have/had some kind of issue with B12 (thou it didnt show up I had a B12 issue in the blood tests.. those blood tests thou dont show how much B12 is getting into the brain etc). In my case having twice weekly B12 hydroxocobalamin injections for 2-3 years now. This has helped my brain symptoms a lot (the improvement was noticable after only the 3rd injection), without it I arent very functional as my memory completely goes to the point where i cant even remember at times how to cook toast and dont always recognise and know close family members! There is a huge thread on B12 someone at this site... as so many have this as a issue causing their symptoms and have been helped by B12 injections or by taking other active forms of B12 (some have bodies who dont convert some forms of B12 well to the active forms body uses). I suggest to find that big thread posted by someone and check it out. (if you are in Australia.. B12 hydroxocobalamin injections may be brought without a script over the counter of the pharmacy if they think you have been advised to get some by a doctor.. they dont take details). (This is something not that dangerous... i know some who actually take it daily like this in some conditions). You can try the normal B12 supplements.. but if they dont work you may need active forms of B12.
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies Flag this Response
  • To both the above posters, you both appear to have a B12 issue. Some can get symptoms of B12 deficiency even when their B12 levels are in the lower range of normal. (many doctors dont realise this and may not pay attention to it when it is in fact causing symptoms). Deficiency symptoms of B12 areanemiaweaknessmuscle wastingshortness of breathpoor cordinationimpaired memoryfatigueprogressive developing paranoiamood swingscreeping paraylses of nerves and muscles nerve damagetingling(there are many other symptoms it can give on top of these). Stress causes your body to be using up B12 faster............ I myself have/had some kind of issue with B12 (thou it didnt show up I had a B12 issue in the blood tests.. those blood tests thou dont show how much B12 is getting into the brain etc). In my case having twice weekly B12 hydroxocobalamin injections for 2-3 years now. This has helped my brain symptoms a lot (the improvement was noticable after only the 3rd injection), without it I arent very functional as my memory completely goes to the point where i cant even remember at times how to cook toast and dont always recognise and know close family members! There is a huge thread on B12 someone at this site... as so many have this as a issue causing their symptoms and have been helped by B12 injections or by taking other active forms of B12 (some have bodies who dont convert some forms of B12 well to the active forms body uses). I suggest to find that big thread posted by someone and check it out. (if you are in Australia.. B12 hydroxocobalamin injections may be brought without a script over the counter of the pharmacy if they think you have been advised to get some by a doctor.. they dont take details). (This is something not that dangerous... i know some who actually take it daily like this in some conditions). You can try the normal B12 supplements.. but if they dont work you may need active forms of B12. I tried the B12 sublinguel tabs and within 30 minutes i got severe a burning sensation in my legs and it crept up to my arms etc..terrified me, so not sure what i can do to up my B12. I would think the injections might do this to?
  • I tried taking the B12 sublinguel tabs and within 30 minutes i got a severe burning sensation in my legs and arms...terrified me.I,m scared the injections would do the same so not sure what to do
  • There is no "gold standard" test for B12 deficiency because as a B12 deficiency occurs, serum values may be maintained while tissue B12 stores become depleted. Therefore, serum B12 values above the cut-off point of deficiency do not necessarily indicate adequate B12 status The above quote is from wikipedia (yeah i know not a medical site but info is easier to find there). Ive seen this thou validated time and time again after those who are in the B12 normal range but lower ends of it.. get better on supplementation of it. Also be aware to not supplment B12 in large amounts using the form called cyanocobalamin as too much of that form isnt good. (hence why other forms are used if you need large dosages) I tried taking the B12 sublinguel tabs and within 30 minutes i got a severe burning sensation in my legs and arms...terrified me.I,m scared the injections would do the same so not sure what to do ohh yeah you need to be more careful in your case. I myself had some side effects from B12 injection on the first two occassions i had it, not burning in my case but other side effects eg more tiredness and just didnt feel good and had this massive break out of acne all over my face.. i never get acne so this was a shock (but after that it was great), I'd been prepared to have some slight side effects as i'd heard of that happening to others at first before they went good. This can be cause B12 is a detoxifier.. my body had some kind of toxic overload in it which the B12 had to work on.. maybe cause my tissues had been low on B12 for a while. The big acne breakout was B12 trying to get all the toxins my body had built up out of it. The burning you are experiencing may be due to the nerves reactivating ???if they have been affected by B12 deficiency ..eg like waking up again?? (Deficiency of B12 can cause both pain and numbness). I guess it could be compared to if someone puts a rubber band around a finger.. finger goes numb.. once taken off.. the correct things get to finger again and it hurts!!! as its coming good again. So maybe its a good sign???? I dont know. I think you need to discuss it with someone who knows a lot more than i do. Your deficiency sounds far worst then mine was. Ive known people to get side effects with one form of B12 but be completely okay with another form. (possibly due to some kind of block in their symptoms with a certain form). I know of other people who have had to take less B12 at first.. and work themselves up to slowly taking more (due to the side effects which happened as the B12 was working). Im quite concerned in your case as B12 deficiency can cause permanent nerve damage etc.. and the longer you are left in a deficient state..not good.
  • I just found the big B12 thread. I suggest to go there and get more advice.. someone there would know more than me and i know they've managed to help many people who have B12 issues. Tell them about your side effect to B12.. you need to also tell them how much you took and what form.. and get advice on what is the best way to deal with your B12 deficiency from here on http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?p=236820#post236820
  • snow i just saw your other post that you've just put on the B12 thread about how you felt bad since the surgery. The surgery would of made B12 issue worst it further depletes B12 and there is issues due to the anesthesia used. The wikipedia quote below is related to B12 and surgery. Nitrous oxide: Nitrous oxide inactivates the cobalamin form of vitamin B12 by oxidation. Symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency, including sensory neuropathy, myelopathy, and encephalopathy, can occur within days or weeks of exposure to nitrous oxide anesthesia in people with subclinical vitamin B12 deficiency. Symptoms are treated with high doses of vitamin B12, but recovery can be slow and incomplete. People with normal vitamin B12 levels have sufficient vitamin B12 stores to make the effects of nitrous oxide insignificant, unless exposure is repeated and prolonged (such as recreational use). Vitamin B12 levels should be checked in people with risk factors for vitamin B12 deficiency prior to using nitrous oxide anesthesia. Chronic nitrous oxide B12 poisoning (usually from use of nitrous oxide as a recreational drug), however, may result in B12 functional deficiency even with normal measured blood levels of B12.
  • Thanks so much for all your replies.Now i,m terrified of this..what do i need to do..this is all new to me.I know nothing about all this. I asked my hubby to call the Neuro guy tomorrow to see what i can do because i,m so scared to take the tabs again because of the burning sensation. I was really healthy until this year with this sinus and then surgery..never had any indication of this. Are you allowed to E mail me direct if i give you my E mail..not sure i can post it here
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement