Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Chest/Neck/Shoulder pain + Calf strain

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • July 25, 2010
  • 05:31 AM

Hey guys, I'm new here and I'm not entirely sure that this is the right place to post this so please correct me if I'm wrong. I can't make it to the Hospital at the moment, and I don't currently have a family physician so I am merely trying to get an idea of what might be wrong until I CAN get to a doctor.

- - - - - -

Symptoms: Chest pain, neck/shoulder pain, and a calf strain.

First of all, let me start off by saying that I am just coming off a severe ankle/foot sprain, which had me bedridden for about two weeks. Approximately two or three days after I began to put pressure on the sprained foot, I started to experience pain or a 'tightness' in my right calf. The pain would come and go, and it intensified with activity. For about three or four days I was literally convinced that it was simply a calf strain, but now I am not so sure.

The pain that I've been feeling is probably best described as a tightness or almost as if my calf has been stretched, and it's located around the Gastrocnemius (sp?) muscle of my right calf. It was the only symptom I was experiencing, until this morning..

When I woke up today I felt like I had been punched in my side, and there is a sort of stabbing sensation when I take deep breaths. I can feel this stabbing sensation in my right side just below the breast and above (or behind) the rib cage, but more to the side as opposed to the middle of my chest. I am also feeling this same pain around the neck, just about where the neck meets the shoulder blade. Also, the pain feels much worse when I attempt to lay flat on my back.

Now, from what I gathered from a few hours of browsing around medical sites and whatnot, it sounds like I may possibly have a blood clot, but there are a few things that don't make sense to me. From what I read, the pain in my chest should be constant if it truly is a blood clot and it's not. Secondly, tonight I discovered that I can completely rid myself of the pain in my calf if I take an Ibuprofen.

At this point, I don't know whether the symptoms are related or if it's just a coincidence (or something else entirely). Has anyone else experienced these same set of symptoms? Can someone just shed some light on what might be wrong? Is my only option to wait until I can see a doctor?

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement