Discussions By Condition: Hand conditions

Numbness in right hand when sleeping

Posted In: Hand conditions 6 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • July 13, 2010
  • 00:42 AM

Hi. I have started a new thread here because each time someone starts a discussion like this, it gets mixed up with all kinds of other symptoms that act as red herrings. I have read most of the related threads and am no closer to knowing what the problem is.

My symptoms go like this:

When I am sleeping on my left or right side, my right hand goes numb from the wrist down. If left like this too long, there is a burning sensation in the hand. it goes away if I flex my fingers for a few minutes. Once it starts happening, it will go numb again even when I am still awake, so I know the parameters quite well. The only way to stop it happening at that stage is to sleep on my back. Interestingly, it only seems to happen after 4-5 hours of sleep.

I also get numbness in my right hand when riding my motorbike (helps to keep two fingers extended above the brake handle) and when using the computer. But neither of these is as severe as the night numbness.

The constraints of my symptoms are:

... I am male, and therefore not pregnant.
... I am not obese or diebetic, although I am maybe 10-15kg overweight.
... I have no history of heart disease or low blood pressure.
... My cholesterol levels are acceptable, although borderline high.
... I am not on any kind of medication (although I take fish oil and vitamins daily)
... I work in a sedentary job, sitting at a computer most of the day.
... I have had nerve-related pain in my neck and left shoulder recently (I have had "neuro-skeletal therapy" and massage therapy recently to address this pain with some relief).

I don't want to make light of other conditions, but if we could please keep this thread to people with similar constraints, I think that would be helpful as certain medical conditions, drugs, etc., can cause/aggravate these symptoms as well.

My father apparently had carpal tunnel syndrome in his 50s (which is where I am now) and had to have the nerves severed in both wrists (so his hands were constantly numb) - no idea how he tolerated that for 30 odd years or why he had it done.

I'd love to hear from anyone with a similar condition and get some ideas of what you have tried and with what results. I am thinking about trying hand splints and also a Shiatsu massage cushion in the evenings for relief.

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• Go see an Ortho surgeon.Your symptoms are consistant with carpal tunnel which is an impingement of the median nerve (at the wrist). Most common symptom is numbness in the hand/fingers - especially in the middle of the night, or using the computer or any activity that causes flexion of the wrist (i.e. holding handle of a bike).Carpal tunnel surgery does NOT severe the nerve, it cuts the top of the tunnel which is a thick ligament. The result is to relieve pressure on the nerve. Getting it done sooner rather than later would be recommended - at some point the nerve damage is permanent. Your father did not have the nerve severed - it would have resulted in the inability to use his hands - not just numbness. The median nerve is also responsible for specific muscle strength. He may have had surgery too late and had to live with the numbness - but the continued damage would have been stopped.You need to first see an Ortho surgeon. He/she will likely order a test called an EMG - it is a nerve test that evaluates where a nerve is being pinched. As a differential diagnosis - the nerve could also be impinged at the neck resulting in the numbness. However - the flexion of your wrists elicits the symptoms so carpal tunnel would be my diagnosis. Go get seen! I am a NP with an Ortho group
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 21, 2010
    • 05:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • This is going to sound weird, but try eating about a 1/4 cup of sunflower seedsfor a few days. I'm at the computer all day and in addition, am scooping cat litter. When I started having symptoms, I read in a book that I have on natural cures that the sunflower seeds would work -- and they did. Note: Seemingly, not only are you exacerbating the condition by the constant use of that hand, but yourbody is in need of more Vit. E. However, taking a pill doesn't work, but the seeds do the trick. I caught mine fairly early. If you've had this condition a long time, I don't know whether the seedswill be efficacious.Worth a try...Joan
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 25, 2010
    • 09:41 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi. I have started a new thread here because each time someone starts a discussion like this, it gets mixed up with all kinds of other symptoms that act as red herrings. I have read most of the related threads and am no closer to knowing what the problem is.My symptoms go like this:When I am sleeping on my left or right side, my right hand goes numb from the wrist down. If left like this too long, there is a burning sensation in the hand. it goes away if I flex my fingers for a few minutes. Once it starts happening, it will go numb again even when I am still awake, so I know the parameters quite well. The only way to stop it happening at that stage is to sleep on my back. Interestingly, it only seems to happen after 4-5 hours of sleep.I also get numbness in my right hand when riding my motorbike (helps to keep two fingers extended above the brake handle) and when using the computer. But neither of these is as severe as the night numbness.The constraints of my symptoms are:... I am male, and therefore not pregnant.... I am not obese or diebetic, although I am maybe 10-15kg overweight.... I have no history of heart disease or low blood pressure.... My cholesterol levels are acceptable, although borderline high.... I am not on any kind of medication (although I take fish oil and vitamins daily)... I work in a sedentary job, sitting at a computer most of the day.... I have had nerve-related pain in my neck and left shoulder recently (I have had "neuro-skeletal therapy" and massage therapy recently to address this pain with some relief).I don't want to make light of other conditions, but if we could please keep this thread to people with similar constraints, I think that would be helpful as certain medical conditions, drugs, etc., can cause/aggravate these symptoms as well.My father apparently had carpal tunnel syndrome in his 50s (which is where I am now) and had to have the nerves severed in both wrists (so his hands were constantly numb) - no idea how he tolerated that for 30 odd years or why he had it done.I'd love to hear from anyone with a similar condition and get some ideas of what you have tried and with what results. I am thinking about trying hand splints and also a Shiatsu massage cushion in the evenings for relief.Hi, I had carpal tunnel syndrome and have had the band cut in my wrist, and since then i have had no pain and no problems it was the best thing i ever had done, pure pain releif
    wisewitch 1 Replies
    • February 24, 2011
    • 04:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I really dont know if i was sleeping when my late father called my name and sounded like he wanted to talk to me...
    VonScelelek 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • This happend to me but I realized that I swithced from sleeping on my back to sleeping on my side. The result is that I put a lot of weight on my shoulder and it made my arm fall asleep to the point that I had numbness in my hands. Try sleeping with a pillow between your arms at your chest to relieve some pressure on your shoulder, and/or try other sleeping positions.
    ronny27 47 Replies Flag this Response
  • There's a very simple cure to this that I read in Woman's World Magazine, and it does help. Anything that falls asleep from the neck to your waist is due to you not moving your neck enough, so, if your hands are asleep just move your neck around and it'll go away. Nothing serious. :) I used to have this all the time when I woke up, it's just from keeping your neck being in one position for so long.
    Mikele 2 Replies
    • September 27, 2011
    • 02:48 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement