Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Something Strange (coughing/choking then sneezing)

Posted In: Medical Stories 10 Replies
  • Posted By: Siennis
  • June 30, 2010
  • 02:54 AM

Hi there, I'm new here and the main reason I registered is because I'm curious (and a little concerned) about something both my Mother and I do, but nobody else we know does.

Imagine this, if you will be so kind: You're taking a nice sip of water, but it goes down the wrong pipe. So you cough. Correct? That's normal, everyone does that. Coughing, eyes watering, you're friends or family members laughing at you.
But what my Mother and I do, is sneeze right after. Any time we choke a little, whether from something going down the wrong pipe, or something spicy, etc. Every single time!

Now, I'm sure its no cause for alarm, but because nobody else we know does it, it makes us wonder. Why is it we sneeze after every single time we cough/choke? Is it something that should be watched? Should we be worried?

I'd really appreciate some help.

Addition information:

We do not sneeze after normal coughing. Of course, during a cold you will sneeze but not seemingly caused by the coughing.
I'm 20, my Mother is 46 and this has happened to both of us for as long as we can remember.

Reply Flag this Discussion

10 Replies:

• Hi there, I'm new here and the main reason I registered is because I'm curious (and a little concerned) about something both my Mother and I do, but nobody else we know does.Imagine this, if you will be so kind: You're taking a nice sip of water, but it goes down the wrong pipe. So you cough. Correct? That's normal, everyone does that. Coughing, eyes watering, you're friends or family members laughing at you.But what my Mother and I do, is sneeze right after. Any time we choke a little, whether from something going down the wrong pipe, or something spicy, etc. Every single time!Now, I'm sure its no cause for alarm, but because nobody else we know does it, it makes us wonder. Why is it we sneeze after every single time we cough/choke? Is it something that should be watched? Should we be worried?I'd really appreciate some help.Addition information:We do not sneeze after normal coughing. Of course, during a cold you will sneeze but not seemingly caused by the coughing.I'm 20, my Mother is 46 and this has happened to both of us for as long as we can remember. OMG, I do the same exact thing!!! I found your post because I was looking it up. Glad to know I'm not the only one. But, I think my Grandmother did it, too.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 3, 2010
    • 07:28 PM
    Flag this Response
  • OMG, I do the same exact thing!!! I found your post because I was looking it up. Glad to know I'm not the only one. But, I think my Grandmother did it, too.Me too ....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 18, 2010
    • 05:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This happens to me as well. It is bothersome. For me, I noticed it after I had surgery to have a vocal chord implant because I had a paralyzed vocal chord that was causing me to choke after every drink. After the surgery, EVERY time I cough, I have to sneeze after. I have been told that this is due to the force of the cough causing something into the nasal cavity making your body have to sneeze to get it out. Don't know if this is the reason or not, but it does make sense. Hope this helps.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 21, 2010
    • 04:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This happens to me as well. It is bothersome. For me, I noticed it after I had surgery to have a vocal chord implant because I had a paralyzed vocal chord that was causing me to choke after every drink. After the surgery, EVERY time I cough, I have to sneeze after. I have been told that this is due to the force of the cough causing something into the nasal cavity making your body have to sneeze to get it out. Don't know if this is the reason or not, but it does make sense. Hope this helps.This was helpful. Wish we could find more on this for I too share this same thing.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 9, 2010
    • 02:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Me too ....OMG me too. I thought I had some strange disorder!!! The thing is I thought it may have something to do with a reflux to make your body sneeze to get rid of any water from your lungs or stuck somewhere. I didnt see any answers Is there a reason this happensI am 62 an this has happened all my life but none of my children have done this
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 13, 2010
    • 06:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • So, I kind of do the same thing too. Except what happened to me is I was running during a physical education class at my high school, and after I finished running rather hard, I had a cough attack, and it continued throughout the day. My parents think it is a cold, so I have been taking NyQuil at night because I have suck bad coughing attacks I can't fall asleep. But, the coughing isn't consistent like a common cold, even though I have been coughing up mucus, I don't have any other symptoms of a cold. It stopped for a while afterwards, but I started running again about two days ago, and I started coughing again. But now it seems that when I lay down, or relax, I have a coughing fit, and then right after i stop coughing I have a little sneeze that follows. But this only happens sometimes, not all the time. But it is not like one of those huge sneezes that you can feel happening. It just is like a half-cough half-sneeze thing. These little fits have been going on for almost a week now and they are starting to get annoying. Does anyone know what's happening?P.S. I can honestly say that I have had this little sneeze thing happen to me at least twenty times today. I'm fourteen years old, and very athletic... Is this caused by athsma?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 24, 2010
    • 08:21 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Ive done this all my life too, and think it's a normal part of body trying to clear the lungs. I always sneeze 3x.
    gypsygirl 18 Replies
    • December 24, 2010
    • 11:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i too am looking for a reason why and i thought that i might find it here. I do the same thing everytime i choke it is followed by a quick succession of sneezes....WHY!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 30, 2011
    • 04:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Happen to me too for the last 16 yrs. I always sneezed after coughing so will be coughing n sneezing non-stop during colds. Until now I still dunno e cause
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 13, 2011
    • 03:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I do this too! One sneeze every time. That's when I know I'm done choking on whatever it was.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement