Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Something Strange (coughing/choking then sneezing)

Posted In: Medical Stories 2 Replies
  • Posted By: Siennis
  • June 30, 2010
  • 02:54 AM

Hi there, I'm new here and the main reason I registered is because I'm curious (and a little concerned) about something both my Mother and I do, but nobody else we know does.

Imagine this, if you will be so kind: You're taking a nice sip of water, but it goes down the wrong pipe. So you cough. Correct? That's normal, everyone does that. Coughing, eyes watering, you're friends or family members laughing at you.
But what my Mother and I do, is sneeze right after. Any time we choke a little, whether from something going down the wrong pipe, or something spicy, etc. Every single time!

Now, I'm sure its no cause for alarm, but because nobody else we know does it, it makes us wonder. Why is it we sneeze after every single time we cough/choke? Is it something that should be watched? Should we be worried?

I'd really appreciate some help.

Addition information:

We do not sneeze after normal coughing. Of course, during a cold you will sneeze but not seemingly caused by the coughing.
I'm 20, my Mother is 46 and this has happened to both of us for as long as we can remember.

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• You posted this in 2010--- I have the exact same thing with me and my mom as well--- it's 2014.... Did you ever get any feedback on this?
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • October 3, 2014
    • 09:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have done this for quite some time and just recently noticed it with my son who by the way is adopted. I guess its more common than we think but no one really brought it up before
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • October 6, 2014
    • 08:39 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement