Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Severe jaw pain and swollen glands, have not been diagnosed yet?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 1 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • June 26, 2010
  • 04:23 PM

I have had jaw pain for over a year accompanied by what I thought to be sinus infections (last summer). The sinus infections stopped around January, but the jaw pain got worse and is only on one side. Thinking it was due to a rotting wisdom tooth I had the tooth pulled. The pain did not go away so I went back to the dentist, I had several dentist look at me and had x-rays, they said nothing was wrong with my teeth. I have been very tired, dizzy and have no energy. My neck and face are swollen on the affected side and I developed an infection in my throat. I went to the ER, had a fever and my throat was almost swollen shut. I was told that one of my tonsils had grown back (I had them removed as a child) and I was put on erythromycin. My throat and fever went away but the pain and swelling of my face and glands in my neck remained. This was about 2 months ago. The dizziness and pain continued so I went to a new doctor. All he did was put me on another antibiotic, penicillin. This did nothing so I changed doctors. On the first visit to the new doctor I was put on azithromycin. My blood was taken and an appt was scheduled a week later. During the week I developed a large abcess under the skin under my arm. Upon the second doctors visit blood work showed low iron and low vitamin D. Doctor put me on another antibiotic, Bactrim, and steroids and ordered another blood test. Upon the third doctors visit blood work showed elevated WBC count and a referral to a neurologist. Now I am waiting to set up an appt with the neurologist. I still have no idea what is wrong with me. Obviously the severe pain and swelling is not due to an infection as I have been an all these antibiotics. I am very worried and do not understand why I was referred to a neurologist. I don't know what to do, I cannot wait this long to see the neurologist, the pain is so severe I cannot sleep and the dizziness and fatigue are interfering with daily life. I also have a headache all of the time. The pain is on the left side, it radiates from the tempomandibular joint into my ear and across my cheekbone and down into my neck. Any suggestions?

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

• Sorry to hear about your suffering. I have a friend going through the same thing, Did you ever get a diagnosis?
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • October 25, 2014
    • 01:23 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement