Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Is this another autoimmune? Skin Thickening on thumb and fingers...

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 13, 2007
  • 04:15 AM

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 3 yrs ago after a miscarriage. Since then I had two more miscarriages and was rediagnosed as having Hashimoto syndrome. During the past 3 years I have had this annoying symptom of the skin thickening on my thumbs and index fingers. They rarely occur on both hands at the same time, thank goodness. It starts off with a slight pain to the tip of the thumb (or finger), then I will notice that the sense of touch to the area is no longer normal and sure enough the skin at the tip will be thicker. It will continue to thicken for a few days and then starts to crack and peel away. Thick pieces, like several layers at once seem to break off leaving very sensitive and tender skin underneath. It has never involved the whole digit. Just the tip and rarely to the first knuckle. My regular doctor said that it probably had to do with the hypothyroid. But my endocrinologist told me that it was most likely another autoimmune. I don't know what to think anymore. I just know that this is so annoying and embarrassing at times. If anyone has any ideas it would help. Thanks.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement