Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

PAIN under RIGHT RIB cage

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 16 Replies
  • Posted By: Dora_Tonks59
  • January 12, 2007
  • 04:51 PM

In June of 2006 I was seeing an Acupuncture doc of Chinese med. HE found that under my RIGHT RIB cage I was very sensitive to touch! He gave me a few treatments, I started having pain so bad there...he said to get the pain OUT I would need to have treatment and pain would COME OUT and then heal. Well in a few weeks the pain did subside. BUT here it is Jan 2007 and it is back.
I had a few tests blood work and that but it all came back that my LIVER is functioning OK! I do not have a YELLOWISH in my skin, no diarrhea, no blood in my stool...THE PAIN feels like anywhere from PINS AND NEEDLES to HOT PINS AND NEEDLES...it feels like a PULLING inside...AS IF my flesh were caught IN the RIBS and being pulled when I move or just sit. My doctors office is CLOSED and they told me to look for another doctor!

Reply Flag this Discussion

16 Replies:

• To me, it sounds like it may be your gall bladder. I would get a second opinion and get it checked out. Just my opinion. Hope you feel better soon. God Bless.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 12, 2007
    • 06:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I went to an ER ROOM, I am on MEDICARE/MediCAL. The "doctor" came in and asked what was wrong. I explained in detail.Without TOUCHING ME. HE started to write out a prescription, and explained it was ACID REFLUX...I was also complaining of a sore throat!He said I need to eat several small meals and NO MORE CAFFEINE!He then left telling me the nurse would come back with the prescriptions.Gavason,Pepside, Tylenol (sp?) none are covered by Medi/Medi! HE just wrote them on a prescription pad...he did not tell me what he was writing!When she did, I said, ARE YOU THE DOCTOR?She said NO!HE was here already.I said OH REALLY, I thought he was a DIETITIAN. She said no he was the doctor.I said HE did not even look at me or touch me and he is calling it ACID REFLUX!I feel like I have been kicked in the ribs and sometimes the pain feels like HOT needles.I also had the beginning of a sore throat, I have suffered with sore throats all my life, and I know the beginning of Strep Throat!He told me that was acid too!OK so he came back and poked at me, looked in my ears and throat and added an antibiotic to the list. A FIVE day prescription! Without any tests.YES, I am going to get another opinion. ASAP!However, I am leery of DOCTORS! being on Medi/medi SUCKS!As I am sure IF i had insurance he would run tests. Sorry to rattle on...Thanks for your reply.
    Dora_Tonks59 1 Replies
    • January 13, 2007
    • 04:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Sorry to hear what you went through. Some doctors can be jerks. I know it can be expensive but I'd get another opinion. I know it's frustrating to keep going to different doctors but if you are in that much pain you need to keep going until someone truly listens to you and gets you some relief. I'm praying you find a doctor that will. Let me know what you find out. I hope you feel better soon.God Bless.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 14, 2007
    • 00:47 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Dora. I have had the same issue for 2 years. I ran two marathons with it, have been on nexium and prilosec, and none of it has gone away. Did you get insurance yet? I just finally got some good insurance and had an upper gi and they found a small sliding hiatal hernia. Unfourtunetly, this morning I was told that this small hernia does not cause the pain I'm having. Back to square one. Atleast I know its not my gall bladder, or my gall stones, or my hernia. I've had a cat scan, ultra sound, blood work, x-rays, and the recent upper gi. Nothing yet.:confused: I hate that plucking feeling inside, yes, even at rest. Do you notice it especially while lying on your side? Love to talk more. My name is Katra, and I live in MI. If you'd like to e-mail me its: relevence33@hotmail.com Maybe together we can get through to our docters!!!
    Relevence33 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Why didn't he do a blood test to check you cell counts and how your liver, pancreas and susch a re doing? No sed rate either? Unfortunately the ER is not a good place to look for a dx... they are there to treat problems (treat and street in your case) and determine if hospitalization/surgery etc is needed. You need to go to a regular pcp dr for your primary care; someone who can follow your case closely. Abdominal pain is hard to dx and takes time and testing (oft repeated tests). I know you have nio insurance so find a clinic that will handle your case and go to it regularly as needed. Ideally seeing the same drs and them having all your med records as you seek a dx. When you have bad pain like bad chest pain or very bad abdominal pain ...and need urgent tx then you go to the ER for whatever you need to get you through the crisis be it electyrolytes/fluids or whatever. For now; give us more info BTW are you overwt???What meds do you take?How long has your condition been going on?When did it start? What started it do you think?Any fevers? Change in bowel movements?How old are you?Hx of other medical problems?Hx of psch illnesses like depression? I went to an ER ROOM, I am on MEDICARE/MediCAL. The "doctor" came in and asked what was wrong. I explained in detail.Without TOUCHING ME. HE started to write out a prescription, and explained it was ACID REFLUX...I was also complaining of a sore throat!He said I need to eat several small meals and NO MORE CAFFEINE!He then left telling me the nurse would come back with the prescriptions.Gavason,Pepside, Tylenol (sp?) none are covered by Medi/Medi! HE just wrote them on a prescription pad...he did not tell me what he was writing!When she did, I said, ARE YOU THE DOCTOR?She said NO!HE was here already.I said OH REALLY, I thought he was a DIETITIAN. She said no he was the doctor.I said HE did not even look at me or touch me and he is calling it ACID REFLUX!I feel like I have been kicked in the ribs and sometimes the pain feels like HOT needles.I also had the beginning of a sore throat, I have suffered with sore throats all my life, and I know the beginning of Strep Throat!He told me that was acid too!OK so he came back and poked at me, looked in my ears and throat and added an antibiotic to the list. A FIVE day prescription! Without any tests.YES, I am going to get another opinion. ASAP!However, I am leery of DOCTORS! being on Medi/medi SUCKS!As I am sure IF i had insurance he would run tests. Sorry to rattle on...Thanks for your reply.
    TaylorDeelwithit 382 Replies Flag this Response
  • In June of 2006 I was seeing an Acupuncture doc of Chinese med. HE found that under my RIGHT RIB cage I was very sensitive to touch! He gave me a few treatments, I started having pain so bad there...he said to get the pain OUT I would need to have treatment and pain would COME OUT and then heal. Well in a few weeks the pain did subside. BUT here it is Jan 2007 and it is back.I had a few tests blood work and that but it all came back that my LIVER is functioning OK! I do not have a YELLOWISH in my skin, no diarrhea, no blood in my stool...THE PAIN feels like anywhere from PINS AND NEEDLES to HOT PINS AND NEEDLES...it feels like a PULLING inside...AS IF my flesh were caught IN the RIBS and being pulled when I move or just sit. My doctors office is CLOSED and they told me to look for another doctor!my mom had to have her gallbladder removed it could be that
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • It could be gall stones; you could look up a natural gall bladder treatment online. It usually consists of drinking olive oil and grapefruit juice -1/2 cup of each) after fasting for the day..another thing it could be is a broken rib or a rib that did break and didn't heal correctly; you could have osteoporosis and that is a brittle spot for you but you could not know without a dex scan or bone density test. You may need further liver tests if it continues..sounds like you need an ultrasound of that area; look for an Internist..
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • After 3 doctors saying it was my gallbladder and with my research saying it wasn't. I got a staph infection dr. treated with antibiotics . Scheduling an appointment with a surgeon for gallbladder for a month later, I called surgeon to ask if I could get in any earlier and told them my symptoms he said not gallbladder find another doctor. I was having pain under my right ribcage, I was having diarhea. I went to the ER,I have insurance.Dr. did not want to hear about all symptoms, what brought me to the er at that exact time. Tried to tell them sore throat diarhea pain in side. Diagnosis from him was Acid reflux gave me some mint cocktail and sent me home. Later that night the pain became worse, at this point i couldn't eat, sleep or do anything else. My dads dr. was able to get me in within the next 2 days. He actually listened to me. He immediatly put me in the hospital to run a group of tests. Thank goodness, he diagnosed me the next morning with c diff. The dr.'s that wouldnt listen or spend more than 2 minutes in the room with me caused the c diff. by popping out prescriptions. I know my body and I research my aches and pains because I rarely have them. Follow up after c diff treatment will be for the gall bladder, as my dads dr. now says the first ultrasound i had could not be read correctly because it was poorly done and no diagnosis should have been made from it. Dads Dr. is now mine also.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 9, 2008
    • 07:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been having same problems for years with this pain under my right side ribs. I have had every test known to man and its not my gall bladder. I had ultrasound and all it showed was a slightly fatty liver. I was told that this can cause pain under right rib @times. I find mine gets aggravated by sitting for too long, like its being pinched or something. If I press in that area its always sensitive and sore. I started taking Milk Thistle which is good for cleaning out the liver of toxins etc. I cant say whether it has helped or not because that area is not always painful.Good luck hon As EvErCat
    kitcat48 80 Replies
    • September 9, 2008
    • 09:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Everyone,I just had the same thing for going on 3 weeks(sharp pain under my right rib cage). Went the ER and a doctor, had CT scan, ultrasound of gall bladder, pancreas, and liver, had chest X-ray...all showed everything was perfectly normal and the doctors made me feel like I was lying about my pain to get meds(and wouldn't prescribe me anything, leaving me with terrible pain, no relief, and no diagnosis)...I was sooooo frustrated, the pain was excrutiating! So after my doctors office didn't call me back for an entire day after a test, to give me my results( I went the the lab and got them myself - although they showed nothing was wrong), I tried finding another doctor and couldn't get in anywhere for two weeks. I decided to go to Urgent Care, told the doc what I was feeling, all the tests I had and he immediately said he thought it was a virus in my right nerve that runs under my rib cage. He called it peri - para - something, I can't remember(sorry), but he prescribed presdnisone(an anti-imflammatory) and Lortabs for my pain, because thankgoodness he understood how painful it was. I had just had the flu two weeks before and he said the virus just got into my nerve and it was inflammed and very painful. He said it does last for a few to several weeks... But, it has been 2 days now and I feel much better. I think just finding out what was wrong with me helps too. Obvi the pain pills help and make me feel loopy and a little sick to my stomach, but I'll take that over the pain anyday....Not sure how this doc knew what was going on when all the others said they were "stumped". Hope everyone else finds something out, some doctors can be so unhelpful and defeating sometimes, but there are good ones out there, so keep going till you find one... Good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 9, 2008
    • 02:42 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Too litlle information but i`ll number for you what analyses you are supposed to do in order to rule out all posiblle causes for this kind of pain:ALT,AST,AntiHBs,hcv antibody,Phosphatases alcaline,Bilirubin,alpha phetoprotein,serum amilase and phospholipase,empty stomach x-ray,barieted x-ray,echography,gastroscopy and colonoscopy
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 10, 2008
    • 03:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• well i have the same pain. and i want to know if you have found anything that works for the pain.I went to an ER ROOM, I am on MEDICARE/MediCAL. The "doctor" came in and asked what was wrong. I explained in detail.Without TOUCHING ME. HE started to write out a prescription, and explained it was ACID REFLUX...I was also complaining of a sore throat!He said I need to eat several small meals and NO MORE CAFFEINE!He then left telling me the nurse would come back with the prescriptions.Gavason,Pepside, Tylenol (sp?) none are covered by Medi/Medi! HE just wrote them on a prescription pad...he did not tell me what he was writing!When she did, I said, ARE YOU THE DOCTOR?She said NO!HE was here already.I said OH REALLY, I thought he was a DIETITIAN. She said no he was the doctor.I said HE did not even look at me or touch me and he is calling it ACID REFLUX!I feel like I have been kicked in the ribs and sometimes the pain feels like HOT needles.I also had the beginning of a sore throat, I have suffered with sore throats all my life, and I know the beginning of Strep Throat!He told me that was acid too!OK so he came back and poked at me, looked in my ears and throat and added an antibiotic to the list. A FIVE day prescription! Without any tests.YES, I am going to get another opinion. ASAP!However, I am leery of DOCTORS! being on Medi/medi SUCKS!As I am sure IF i had insurance he would run tests. Sorry to rattle on...Thanks for your reply.
  • I have the same pain too,it happened to me before.. like 1 year ago..then last week I got this pain again.. its weird.. it only hurts when I actually touch it..!!!the report i got last year.. i did ultra sound , urine test and blood test..things turn out positive.. now I am going to the doctor in 2 hours..will update if anything happens..
  • I have the same pain at my right side under my rib cage. I have had ultrasound, MRI, CT scan, Hydascan, and bloodwork. I have gone to three different doctors and NON of them can tell me what the problem is. This has been going on for almost two years. The pain at times wakes me up during the night. I go to a fourth doctor next week. One would think with all of the medical advances and technology out there, this could have been diagnosed by now. I went to an ER ROOM, I am on MEDICARE/MediCAL. The "doctor" came in and asked what was wrong. I explained in detail.Without TOUCHING ME. HE started to write out a prescription, and explained it was ACID REFLUX...I was also complaining of a sore throat!He said I need to eat several small meals and NO MORE CAFFEINE!He then left telling me the nurse would come back with the prescriptions.Gavason,Pepside, Tylenol (sp?) none are covered by Medi/Medi! HE just wrote them on a prescription pad...he did not tell me what he was writing!When she did, I said, ARE YOU THE DOCTOR?She said NO!HE was here already.I said OH REALLY, I thought he was a DIETITIAN. She said no he was the doctor.I said HE did not even look at me or touch me and he is calling it ACID REFLUX!I feel like I have been kicked in the ribs and sometimes the pain feels like HOT needles.I also had the beginning of a sore throat, I have suffered with sore throats all my life, and I know the beginning of Strep Throat!He told me that was acid too!OK so he came back and poked at me, looked in my ears and throat and added an antibiotic to the list. A FIVE day prescription! Without any tests.YES, I am going to get another opinion. ASAP!However, I am leery of DOCTORS! being on Medi/medi SUCKS!As I am sure IF i had insurance he would run tests. Sorry to rattle on...Thanks for your reply.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 10, 2010
    • 00:09 AM
    Flag this Response
  • In June of 2006 I was seeing an Acupuncture doc of Chinese med. HE found that under my RIGHT RIB cage I was very sensitive to touch! He gave me a few treatments, I started having pain so bad there...he said to get the pain OUT I would need to have treatment and pain would COME OUT and then heal. Well in a few weeks the pain did subside. BUT here it is Jan 2007 and it is back.I had a few tests blood work and that but it all came back that my LIVER is functioning OK! I do not have a YELLOWISH in my skin, no diarrhea, no blood in my stool...THE PAIN feels like anywhere from PINS AND NEEDLES to HOT PINS AND NEEDLES...it feels like a PULLING inside...AS IF my flesh were caught IN the RIBS and being pulled when I move or just sit. My doctors office is CLOSED and they told me to look for another doctor! There is one test that I know of that can not be done by a regular MD it is a test that is done by an Rheumatologist, it sone by 11 pressure points to the body, and this test is to diagonis Fibromayligia ok the spelling could be a little wrong, I have this and there is not any blood or X-rays or MRI's that can catch this so if possible get another opoinion done by a Rhematologist. I am having the same pain and I know it is my Fibromayligia acting up. Hope this could help.
  • Hi Dora. I know this was some time ago, but i am suffering the exact symptoms you explain in your first post, uncomfortable feeling under my right rib cage, and lower torso, pins and needles, a pulling and burning sensation. I have been prescribed various medicine for IBS and Indigestion. I also had an ultrasound scan in December which showed nothing other than a small simple liver cyst.

Did you find out what was the cause of your symptoms, it would be really helpful.
    Anonymous 1 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement