Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

6 year old with constant headaches

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 2 Replies
  • Posted By: SparkyRob
  • May 30, 2010
  • 08:55 PM

My 6 year old has had headaches everyday for 3 years now. several Drs, an MRI, and lots of drugs have not helped her. does anyone have any solutions for us? I really would like to fix the problem rather than change medicines every few weeks trying to find what works. She did have Febrile Seizures starting at 18 months. She has since grown out of those but her headaches persist. she describes the headaches as the top and back of her head, sometimes there is dizziness and nausea with them.

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• This is probably a long shot as it is probably uncommon in children that young (teens is a group which it often starts in) ... but make sure she hasnt got a condition called Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome causing it (POTS). POTS causes headaches, dizziness and nausea as a few of the most common symptoms and you can rule that out by taking her heart rate (pulse) when she first wakes up in the morning before moving about or getting up and then when standing (and not moving for the following length of times) at one, five and a 10 minute interval. If her heart rate increases by more than 30 beats per minute (some thou diagnose it with a 25 beats per min increase)... that's POTS. or tilt table testing can be done. POTS is a kind of Autonomic dysfunction in which blood may not be getting to the brain well at times hence the headaches and other symptoms. Most doctors are not familiar with this condition so many with it remain undiagnosed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postural_orthostatic_tachycardia_syndrome..... i just went searching to try to see if POTS appears in young children and found the following "People generally develop POTS after becoming sick with a virus, giving birth, or being exposed to great bodily stressors (i.e. surgery, trauma or chemotherapy). Some people have had POTS their entire lives. Teenagers sometimes develop the disorder during the years of rapid growth, and 75-80% of them can look forward to being asymptomatic when they reach adulthood (Grubb, Kanjwal & Kosinski, 2006)." so yes it appears it can be in very young children too. The above was from http://www.dinet.org/pots_an_overview.htm
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies Flag this Response
  • i just had another thought. A friends child from about the age of 3 and for many years was getting headaches and it turned out to be due to "constipation". She wasnt going to the toilet regularly. Make sure your child is going at least daily and isnt suffering constipation. Apparently constipation is a common cause for headaches........... Food causes is another cause. i havent got lactose intollerance but at times im sensitive to something in milk and get a headache from milk. Your child could have a sensitivity to something she is eatting or drinking causing the headaches... or something enviromental triggering them. i admire that you are trying to get to the bottom of your childs issues. Best luck with it.
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement