Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Sprained Rib ?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: rptwinkie
  • May 25, 2010
  • 04:21 PM

I've just recently started Mixed Martial Arts training, and I am the only girl in the class -- also, the smallest member. I usually spar/grapple with a guy that is 155, and i am 120. We do switch up and i can grapple with guys that are as much as 285. They're very careful, though, and they take it easier on me.

About two/three weeks ago, though, I was grappling with the 155 guy and he put all his weight on my chest. I THINK i strained the muscles between my ribs (between 10-11?). The reason i say this is that inspiration and expiration are not difficult all the time, i never heard any cracking noise, and it can go from feeling terrible after class (and hurting when i expire) to feeling normal the next day and only tender to the touch.

I have been icing and taking a few days off, but I do not like missing class. It usually only hurts badly when someone stretches me out or someone puts their weight onto me. Regular cross/jabs do not hurt too badly unless I use a lot of force.

My question is .... how can I treat this or repair it? It feels like a sore hamstring, which I would normally work through. It can feel excruciating one day but be fine the next, bother me in the middle of the night or not. Just not sure if playing on it is helpful or harmful! I know that RICE may be the best, but I cannot rest too much. It's a muscle that is involved with EVERY activity, and I can't just take two weeks off of working out (weights/cardio/MMA) all together.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement