Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Undiagnosed brain stem virus

Posted In: Medical Stories 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • May 14, 2010
  • 07:44 PM

3 1/2 years ago, I had 2 thoracic discs burst spontaneously, no trauma or accident. I had 2 thoracotomies and was given large doses of steroids for my spine, I had some movement in my feet and knees. I became very ill while still in the hospital and developed stroke like symptoms. I lost all of my strength, my speech was slurred, my head would not stop shaking and I suffered severe ataxia/shaking in my arm. After several attempts to cure this, it was decided that my immune system dropped too low from the massive amts of steroids and a virus slipped through and settled in my brain stem. I now take monthly infusions of IVIG to maintain the symptoms. No one can diagnosis the virus. I lost the movement in my legs when the virus hit so I am convinced that the virus is blocking the signals to my legs. I need someone to help figure out the virus. I am 45--was very active and busy before this. Now I cannot even work because I never know how the symptoms of this will be day to day.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement