Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Undiagnosed brain stem virus

Posted In: Medical Stories 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • May 14, 2010
  • 07:44 PM

3 1/2 years ago, I had 2 thoracic discs burst spontaneously, no trauma or accident. I had 2 thoracotomies and was given large doses of steroids for my spine, I had some movement in my feet and knees. I became very ill while still in the hospital and developed stroke like symptoms. I lost all of my strength, my speech was slurred, my head would not stop shaking and I suffered severe ataxia/shaking in my arm. After several attempts to cure this, it was decided that my immune system dropped too low from the massive amts of steroids and a virus slipped through and settled in my brain stem. I now take monthly infusions of IVIG to maintain the symptoms. No one can diagnosis the virus. I lost the movement in my legs when the virus hit so I am convinced that the virus is blocking the signals to my legs. I need someone to help figure out the virus. I am 45--was very active and busy before this. Now I cannot even work because I never know how the symptoms of this will be day to day.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement