Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Chronic dry, cracked and bleeding lips

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 37 Replies
  • Posted By: Dianthus
  • January 11, 2007
  • 09:30 PM

I've had this condition for about 18 months now. I've slathered loads of Vaseline and other creams on it, including steroid creams prescribed by my doctor, and my dentist told me to try a cream containing Acyclovir. These only work for very short time and then it comes back again. My doctor is sympathetic, but he only treats the symptoms, he doesn't seem to want to find out what the underlying problem is.

The skin on my lips is literally like cracked earth - all flaky and dry - it cracks and bleeds so it's very painful to eat or smile and the underlying skin tingles like a cold sore's about to erupt. It also looks terrible too.

I also have flaky itchy patches of skin on my forehead and down the sides of my nose and chin.

My nose and eyes run constantly all year round and I get terrible sinus problems in damp weather - especially if it's cold as well.

The glands under my jaw get sore and swell up quite frequently too.

I don't suffer from dry mouth - the opposite in fact. I produce a lot of saliva, which is often quite annoying at times.

I've tried looking up my symptoms on the internet, but nothing seems to apply to my particular collection of symptoms. Can anyone here help me?

Reply Flag this Discussion

37 Replies:

• you sound like you might have a very acid body/.Do you know about the acid/alkaline diet?I think vaseline is toxic- you may want to look into it.Try vitamins and minerals.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 11, 2007
    • 10:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • you sound like you might have a very acid body/.Do you know about the acid/alkaline diet?I think vaseline is toxic- you may want to look into it.Try vitamins and minerals. I take a multivitamin pill every morning and try and eat as much fresh fruit and vegetables as I can. I don't know about the acid/alkaline diet, what does it entail and is it expensive? I'm willing to try it, but I live alone and I'm currently out of work, so I can't afford to spend a lot of money.
    Dianthus 14 Replies
    • January 12, 2007
    • 00:22 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It does not cost anything - the alkaline/acid diet classifies foods as acidic or alkaline for the body. One has to eat about 75% of alkaline foods and only about 25% acidic foods.Apparently the body is better in a more alkaline state.If you do already eat fruits and greens and the vitamins- then maybe you are already in good pH balance (acid/alkaline). Maybe you are going to heal with some flaxseed oil. Flaxseed oil feeds your skin, hair, nails and membranes. It is basically Omega 3 fatty acids.Also you might try a different toothpaste- I found that the whitening crest really peals my lips. I switched to Dr. Burt's clay toothpaste.http://www.thewolfeclinic.com/acidalkfoods.htmlGood LuckBest
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 12, 2007
    • 01:07 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks, I'll see if I can find some flaxseed oil in my local health food shop. I don't know whether I can get that clay toothpaste in the UK, I've never seen it, but I'll ask about it when I go for the flaxseed oil.
    Dianthus 14 Replies
    • January 13, 2007
    • 09:52 AM
    Flag this Response
  • You might want to try getting an allergy patch test from a dermatologist if you haven't yet done so. This would eliminate some of the more commom topical allergens (or determine that you perhaps have an allergy). The very things that you rub on your face or lips might be causing the pain though you might not realize it there is temporary relief upon application.The allergy patch test doesn't include all allergens, but it includes some of the most common and it is good starting point. About ten years ago, I had this test done by a dermatologist and found out I was allergic to a preservative in my powder and face soap (and I'd been getting redness and irriation for seveal months before the test).You could also try putting NOTHING at all on your lips or face and even just rinsing off with water for a few days. I know that sounds excruciating but it might help pinpoint if you aren't actually aggravating it. Just last winter, I found out I'd developed a new allergy to lanolin. For months my lips had been unusually dry and then they started to crack in the corners, so I started to pile on the Eucerin healing ointment (with lanolin as an ingredient). It, of course, got worse! Long story short, through elimination of all products I finally determined the Eucerin was the problem and then by comparing the ingredients of that product with other products that seem to cause no irriation, my allergy dr and I decided it was likely the lanolin in the Eucerin (he says Lanolin is a common allergy). After I stopped using it, it took about 3 days for me tell it was getting better, so if you don't get immediate results be patient. Within 2 weeks, my lips were 100% healed though.I'm not sure about the saliva issue and some of the other things you mentioned, but those things might all be separate issues anyway...but addressing the skin reactions, just keep in mind that sometimes the products we think are healing and helping are actually causing the problem.Good luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 17, 2007
    • 11:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Oh, I just posted the last response and then noticed that you said you were out of work, so you might have the $ or insurance to cover the allergy test....but that said, I truly reccommend not putting any products on for at least 4 days and then add back no more than 1 per day (because it can take over 24 hrs to get a reaction sometimes). Also, the sinus issues could be unrelated. You might have an allergy to mold or something that is winter-related. Try an over the counter med - like Claritin.People that are susceptible allergies are often more likely to get all different types.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 17, 2007
    • 11:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Oh, I just posted the last response and then noticed that you said you were out of work, so you might have the $ or insurance to cover the allergy test.... but that said, I truly reccommend not putting any products on for at least 4 days and then add back no more than 1 per day (because it can take over 24 hrs to get a reaction sometimes). Also, the sinus issues could be unrelated. You might have an allergy to mold or something that is winter-related. Try an over the counter med - like Claritin. People that are susceptible allergies are often more likely to get all different types. I had an allergy test a few years ago when something else cropped up, but it didn't show anything out of the ordinary so the general consensus is that I will just have to live with it. I didn't put anything on my lips for ages till someone mentioned Vaseline a few months after I first noticed the problem. I now have itchy flaky patches behind my ears, so it appears to be spreading :( .
    Dianthus 14 Replies
    • January 17, 2007
    • 11:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you been under a lot of stress?A friend developed severe excema (sp?) that started on his forearms and spread during a really bad period in his life and it spread to his chest/back. He used lotions with oatmeal (like Aveeno) to soothe it. But honestly, until he worked on the life issues, his skin didn't improve. And then of course, sometimes the stress that a skin disorder causes can increase the overall stress and a vicious circle starts...ie. your skin is bothering you so it stresses you out and then the stress of being upset about your skin depresses your immune system further and aggravates your mind/body and it gets worse and on and on. Meditation and yoga and actually trying to not think about your skin for a while might be something to try.A book that addresses the mental/emotional link in skin disorders is called "SKIN DEEP." I forget the dr's/writer's name but you should be able to find it on Amazon.I hope you feel better soon.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 18, 2007
    • 00:17 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you been under a lot of stress? A friend developed severe excema (sp?) that started on his forearms and spread during a really bad period in his life and it spread to his chest/back. He used lotions with oatmeal (like Aveeno) to soothe it. But honestly, until he worked on the life issues, his skin didn't improve. And then of course, sometimes the stress that a skin disorder causes can increase the overall stress and a vicious circle starts...ie. your skin is bothering you so it stresses you out and then the stress of being upset about your skin depresses your immune system further and aggravates your mind/body and it gets worse and on and on. Meditation and yoga and actually trying to not think about your skin for a while might be something to try. A book that addresses the mental/emotional link in skin disorders is called "SKIN DEEP." I forget the dr's/writer's name but you should be able to find it on Amazon. I've been under quite a lot of stress in the past year or so and the British climate doesn't help either - especially at this time of year when it's damp, chilly and very gloomy. Fortunately, this eczema (or whatever it is I've got) hasn't spread further than my face and behind my ears - yet - and I hope it doesn't. I got some Vitamin E capsules earlier this week from my local health supplies shop. The assistant there told me to cut one open and rub the contents on my lips every night before I go to bed so I've been doing that for the past three nights. It's very fiddly because the capsules are only about the size of a baked bean and the coating is very tough. It's too early yet to tell whether it works or not but I'll persevere. The tub contains 60 capsules so I'll be able to see how it goes by the time they're finished. I'm also trying to drink more water. I have a 1 litre bottle by the side of my computer which I refill from the kitchen tap (faucet) and I try and drink at least 3 litres a day. Again, it's difficult to tell whether it'll work because I haven't been doing it for very long. I hope you feel better soon. Thanks :) .
    Dianthus 14 Replies
    • January 18, 2007
    • 09:51 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I've been under quite a lot of stress in the past year or so and the British climate doesn't help either - especially at this time of year when it's damp, chilly and very gloomy. Fortunately, this eczema (or whatever it is I've got) hasn't spread further than my face and behind my ears - yet - and I hope it doesn't. I got some Vitamin E capsules earlier this week from my local health supplies shop. The assistant there told me to cut one open and rub the contents on my lips every night before I go to bed so I've been doing that for the past three nights. It's very fiddly because the capsules are only about the size of a baked bean and the coating is very tough. It's too early yet to tell whether it works or not but I'll persevere. The tub contains 60 capsules so I'll be able to see how it goes by the time they're finished. I'm also trying to drink more water. I have a 1 litre bottle by the side of my computer which I refill from the kitchen tap (faucet) and I try and drink at least 3 litres a day. Again, it's difficult to tell whether it'll work because I haven't been doing it for very long. Thanks :) .Hmm- you have another eczema like condition. I think your dryness originates in a weak/stressed immune system.Continue doing everything you are doing and add extra vitamin C- as your body uses it to produce collagen- it is also a natural antihistamine.If you suffer from allergies, you might have malapsorbtion of your nutrients.For now- just work on improving your immune system and try to pay attention to what you eat- as something might be triggering your eczema.Take Care!btw- you are from the UK, how do you like the Raw Food Trend?there is that gal Shazzie.com, I like her.Ciao!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 18, 2007
    • 03:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hmm- you have another eczema like condition. I think your dryness originates in a weak/stressed immune system.Continue doing everything you are doing and add extra vitamin C- as your body uses it to produce collagen- it is also a natural antihistamine.If you suffer from allergies, you might have malapsorbtion of your nutrients.For now- just work on improving your immune system and try to pay attention to what you eat- as something might be triggering your eczema.Take Care! Something's wrong somewhere, but no-one knows what it is :( . At the other end of the scale I've suffered for years from chronic rhinitis - which means that my nose runs constantly - and also my eyes are always itchy and sore and they run constantly too. btw- you are from the UK, how do you like the Raw Food Trend?there is that gal Shazzie.com, I like her. Who? I think I'm missing out on something here. I do try and eat as much fruit as possible. I love fruit and buy lots of it every week. I particularly like grapes. Ciao! Ciao to you too - and thanks :) .
    Dianthus 14 Replies
    • January 19, 2007
    • 09:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Further to my first post ( in fact first forum post ever !) re bleeding lips I note the posts of Dianthus (interesting name choice!) and unregistered.I feel my wife gives me excellent diet...but the thoughts about fruit & vegetables just might be a factor...That's added to the regime from todayThanks Forum !JohnF
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thanks to everyone who replied, I appreciate it. The latest update is that I finally went to the doc about five weeks ago. He didn't seem to know what's causing my problems (he just did that vague muttering thing that doctors do when they don't know something but don't want to admit it :)) but he gave me two tubes of cream to rub on my lips and the other affected areas. One is a steroid cream and contains: "0.1% w/w mometasone furoate, hexylene glycol, phosphoric acid, propylene glycolstearate, stearyl alcohol, ceteareth 20, titanium dioxide, aluminium starch, octenylsuccinate, beeswax white, paraffin white soft purified water". I had to rub that on once a day for 10 days. The other contains: "glycerol, carbomer, sorbitan laurate, triethanolamine, phenoxyethanol, purified water" and I had to rub that on every HOUR! Everything cleared up in about a week and I've now cut down the applications to once a week or so for the steroid cream and two or three times a day for the other. It's only keeping the problem at bay because if I don't apply the second cream at all for a day or two everything comes back again but it's lovely to be able to eat, drink, yawn and smile without pain - not to mention the improvement to my appearance!
    Dianthus 14 Replies Flag this Response
  • You may buy the Viogen C vitamin for the lips and use neosporin ointment on it rather than a lotion type thing. For the face you can use Aquaphor and it will cut the flaky, dryness out. My mom used that for her psorisis and she didn't have any build up of the dry patches that went with it. I work for a doctor and I was having cracks in the edges of my mouth and thats the info he gave me and it worked. Maybe its worth a try for you am sure at this point you are ready for something to help. Good Luck
    agypsygrl 79 Replies Flag this Response
  • You may buy the Viogen C vitamin for the lips and use neosporin ointment on it rather than a lotion type thing. For the face you can use Aquaphor and it will cut the flaky, dryness out. My mom used that for her psorisis and she didn't have any build up of the dry patches that went with it. I work for a doctor and I was having cracks in the edges of my mouth and thats the info he gave me and it worked. Maybe its worth a try for you am sure at this point you are ready for something to help. Good Luck Thanks. I might try that when the prescription creams I now have are finished. The cracking and flaking is ALL over my lips, not just in the corners :( . I also have dandruff, so I think that's connected with it all too. I have a friend with psoriasis. She now lives in southern Spain and says the sun really helps to control the condition. My skin (but not my lips) cleared up completely during the three weeks I spent in the LA sunshine last September. All I need to do now is win the Lottery and then I can spend all the dark, damp British winters in a more sunny climate :).
  • Thanks. I might try that when the prescription creams I now have are finished. The cracking and flaking is ALL over my lips, not just in the corners :( . I also have dandruff, so I think that's connected with it all too. I have a friend with psoriasis. She now lives in southern Spain and says the sun really helps to control the condition. My skin (but not my lips) cleared up completely during the three weeks I spent in the LA sunshine last September. All I need to do now is win the Lottery and then I can spend all the dark, damp British winters in a more sunny climate :).Hello Original Poster,I am the person who replied long ago with the toothpaste advice.Since then I found out that parasites and fungus can produce all those symptoms. They are very "hardy" and can stick to you skin, membranes and gut for long time, grow and spread. That would also explain the runny nose and eyes.The body creates histamines to try to fight off invaders, so you get runny or watery eyes and nose.It cleared at times from your face, so I think it has to do with dampness in the UK air. Mold loves dampness- that's why your lips don't heal I think.I also suffered from a few patches of cracked skin on my right leg- I treated it with a fantastic wide spectrum antiparasitic: wild oil of oregano caplets.I was prescribed a high dosage 3 times a day for a week, for a different problem I have. It worked like magic. It worked on more than my origninal complaint.You can also try it without prescription (in a low dosage)- it is virtually harmless like that. You can find it at the organic market- but you may want to read about itt before you try it .I really, really hope this help- otherwise I am gonna give ya a second opinion :pTake CareGreetings UK!
    Eatafruit78 960 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello Original Poster,I am the person who replied long ago with the toothpaste advice.Since then I found out that parasites and fungus can produce all those symptoms. They are very "hardy" and can stick to you skin, membranes and gut for long time, grow and spread. That would also explain the runny nose and eyes.The body creates histamines to try to fight off invaders, so you get runny or watery eyes and nose.It cleared at times from your face, so I think it has to do with dampness in the UK air. Mold loves dampness- that's why your lips don't heal I think.I also suffered from a few patches of cracked skin on my right leg- I treated it with a fantastic wide spectrum antiparasitic: wild oil of oregano caplets.I was prescribed a high dosage 3 times a day for a week, for a different problem I have. It worked like magic. It worked on more than my origninal complaint.You can also try it without prescription (in a low dosage)- it is virtually harmless like that. You can find it at the organic market- but you may want to read about itt before you try it .I really, really hope this help- otherwise I am gonna give ya a second opinion :p Take CareGreetings UK! Several people I've met have thought that too, but the allergy tests at the hospital for various "trigger substances" (including mould) proved negative :(. I know my rhinitis always gets worse in damp weather - especially COLD damp weather. I always know when it's going to rain after a protracted dry spell because I get very bad pain around my nose and eyes a few hours before - even if the sky is blue with no noticeable clouds to block the sunshine.
  • Hello Dianthus, I don't think the allergy test can determine if there is fungus growing on your skin. Besides if you have that pain around your nose, etc. it could by a sign that you are allergic to the changes in barometric pressure.It sounds totally crazy- but allergies can also be environmental events (like dampness) to which your body overreact as if it was fighting an intruder (when is something totally harmless).My second opinion would be to try NAET - it is a simple treatment and it most likely will determine what is making you so uncomfortable and actually reverse it.Best,Maribel
  • Hello Dianthus, I don't think the allergy test can determine if there is fungus growing on your skin. Besides if you have that pain around your nose, etc. it could by a sign that you are allergic to the changes in barometric pressure.It sounds totally crazy- but allergies can also be environmental events (like dampness) to which your body overreact as if it was fighting an intruder (when is something totally harmless).My second opinion would be to try NAET - it is a simple treatment and it most likely will determine what is making you so uncomfortable and actually reverse it. Best,Maribel What's NAET - and can I get it over here?
  • http://www.naet.com/subscribers/doctorResults.asp?FromQS=1&db=default&uid=default&City=&State=&Zip=&Last=&Country=England&Status=on&sb=4&view_records=SearchIf you do a search on this message board for NAET- you'll find our recent conversations.But the link above has a list of the UK practitioners.If anything, just call one of the specialist listed or email them and try to see if they think NAET applies to it. I think it would, honestly.If they test for dampness and you are allergic to it, you'll need to wait for like the dryest season in your country to do the treatment, otherwise it would not work.Basically, you have to get a treatment, that is like a massage- it gives a feed back to your nervous system, after that, you wait 25 hours avoiding the allergen, and voila! it should be reversing.It sounds totally crazy- but it works like crazy.It is something to think about- you might want to try it in the future.Best,Maribel.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement