Discussions By Condition: Digestive conditions

Pain below ribs (centre and right), upper and lower back

Posted In: Digestive conditions 87 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 11, 2007
  • 07:32 PM

I've been having the above symptoms which have increased quite a lot over the past 2 weeks.I had my gallbladder out a year ago.I thought my symptoms (what I thought was acid reflux, particularly after eating fatty foods) were down to this. I know of other people who've had the gallbladder removed who've continued to have problems with digestion/pain etc.But the back pain + pain below my ribs is now becoming fairly constant.Embarassingly, my faeces has also become a lot smellier over the past 2 weeks.Ive gone to my doctor, who has ordered blood and urine tests (liver, kidney function etc).Anyone have the same symtoms or any ideas?

Reply Flag this Discussion

87 Replies:

• I had my gallbladder out 7 years ago and still have occasional pain in the right area below my ribs. The pain sometimes gets worse when I eat fattier foods. I just contribute the pain to the foods and acid reflux. This may be just what happens to some of us. I am glad to hear you are checking with a doctor since you are having constant rib and back pain. The fecal smell may be attributed to the gallbladder being gone but is definately something that should be checked, especially if it has changed that dramatically. Sorry I can't give you much advice. Just letting you know that I, too, suffer from pain since my gallbladder removal. Praying you find out what is going on soon and start feeling better.God Bless.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 12, 2007
    • 01:47 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you very much for your reply which was very helpful.A family member also had their gall bladder removed and experiences pain and indigestion etc.I'm having the blood and urine samples taken tomorrow and have been prescribed something to deal with the acid symptoms.I am concerned because the pain has got fairly constant over previous weeks, whereas it only occurred infrequently before.Would appreciate hearing from others who may have had the same/similar experiences?Thaks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 14, 2007
    • 00:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've had the results of the blood tests back - kidney, liver function fine, B12 and other levels normal.The only slightly strange thing was a raised folate levels (normal range 2.4 - 6, mine 8)???So what is this pain???It has eased since I first went but I'm still having the same troubling symptoms.Looked up raised folate levels and all I could find was stuff about vegetarians may have raised levels (I'm not one), something about blind loop syndrome (where part of the small bowel may be obstructed, causing bacterial overgrowth), and several other things that didn't seem to add up.Dr reckons I may have lactose intolerance which may provide a simple explanation, as I tend to react violently to certain foods, such as powdered gravy (contains dried milk and egg).
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 23, 2007
    • 00:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi there, I have had a similar experience to you. At first, I was having mainly pain in the lower right part of my abdomen (what I think is the appendix area) for a couple of years - a few times it was pretty severe pain, vomiting, etc and I felt too sick to go to the doctors!!! (probably should have!). But, just recently, (the past year) I started to have pain, or more like a knawing and uncomfortable feeling with a bit of pain/aching (it changes) under my ribs on the right. I dont know if it is related to the lower pain, but I had an endoscopy (and a colonoscopy, to check out the lower pain) and it didnt show much. It did, however show that I have "mild erosive duodenitis", which I think is sort of like small ulcers in the duodenum - first part of the small intestine. I thought maybe this was causing the pain there, but they put me on medication called "Pariet" (which is to calm the acid production for heart burn, etc.) for 4 weeks, and the whole 4 weeks I was having exactly the same pain, maybe even more frequently... HOWEVER...I stopped taking it after the 4 weeks, like the doctor said to, cos it wasnt doing anything anyway - and I told my doctor - but NOW it has stopped!!! (pretty much within a week of stoping the medication!) My point is, I have no idea why I was still having the pain while I was on the medication, and it finally stopped afterwards...after like a year of having the pain. But maybe, you could ask about duodenitis...i dont even really know what it is - had to look on the net to find out! (I literally just got told "you have something called duodenitis, so we'll put you on this medication for 4 weeks and see how you go"!!!) Good luck, let me know how you go...(and so I know in case this pain returns!!!) I was also wondering about gall bladder problems for me, but now the pain has gone Im not going to worry! Kiwi88
    kiwi88 11 Replies
    • January 24, 2007
    • 09:22 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had my gallbladder removed in July 01.....I continue to have UR Quadrant pain after eating, and my ribs and upper back kill me after eating. I have had a colonoscopy/endoscopy and capsule endoscopy. The latter showed edema on one spot on my small intestine. I have had 2 positive 24 hr urines for Carcinoid syndrome, but the scans are negative. I flush, sweat and wheezing after eating. I feel like I can not breath after I eat. Very Frustrating.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 18, 2007
    • 11:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been having stomach problems and more. I have done gallbladder tests,cat scan, HIDA scan and everyone comes back normal. I did a H. pylori test today and it was positive so if you haven't had that test try it. It has alot of the same symptoms of Gall bladder problems.
    purplefrogger 3 Replies
    • February 23, 2007
    • 02:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have pretty constant pain just under my ribs, to the right of my sternum. The pain radiates to the right and through to my back where I get a a stabbing pain. I aslo get a twinge in my right shoulder, and regularly feel I'm getting facial flushing.I burp a lot, but don't get any foul taste in my mouth. I sometimes get the feeling of a lump when I swallow, or that there's something stuck in my oesophagus, although I accept that this could be nerves due to my worrying. I surf the net looking to match my symptoms (as I'm sure we all do) and you name a disease - I've got the symptoms.I'm obviously worried and concerned that this might be something serious and would ask if anyone else has similar problems.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 24, 2007
    • 10:38 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Sounds like your gall bladder to me.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 24, 2007
    • 02:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's gall bladder - I tried a "Tagamet" I got from a friend (I know you're not supposed to do that) and it seemed to subside a bit.
    MichaelM 2 Replies
    • February 24, 2007
    • 02:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • You should look into coeliac disease too (gluten intolerance - wheat, barley, oats, rye). Ive had the rib pain, reflux and the bowel movement issues among other symptoms and it turns out gluten was the problem! Make sure you get tested before you try a gluten free diet though, as you must be eating gluten for results to be valid.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 27, 2007
    • 06:16 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Get in touch with a good gastroenterologist, get a endpscopy done. They will take tissue samples for H Pylori bacteria and cancer. You will probably find you need a modified diet, no caffeine, no chocolate, no alcohol, no smoking, no spicy foods- keep it very bland for a while. No aspirin, ibuprofen, no anti- inflammatory drugs. Aspirin free tylenol only for headaches, pain, etc. You will also probably need to go on a GI cocktail of Prilosec (or other proton pump inhibitor), Cimedtidine (Histamine 2 blocker), possibly even Reglan (controls stomach contractions) & Maalox after meals. Elevate the head of your bed by 4-6 inches- this will control any acid from regurgitating into your esophagus at night. This sounds a lot like what I went through 4 years ago. The pain was horrific. I couldn't eat and lost 15 pounds in 2 weeks, and I only weighed 105lbs to begin with. It was awful. I had the endoscopy done, & was diagnosed with Gastritis & Barrett's Esophagus. I spent about 18 months on the meds, religiously maintained my diet and I gained the weight back and did just fine. Now, if you are having changes in your stool, you could also be dealing with IBS. Be prepared for a colonscopy. And make sure the GE you see is someone who truly specializes in digestive diseases. Good luck!
    brandice75 1 Replies
    • February 28, 2007
    • 05:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• i am on ly 16 years old and i have been having some really bad back pains on my right side of my back... it feels horrible... i dont know whats wrong with me please help
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • email me to tell me something... at sk8r4lifh@aol.comthank you ...
  • I've been having the above symptoms which have increased quite a lot over the past 2 weeks.I had my gallbladder out a year ago.I thought my symptoms (what I thought was acid reflux, particularly after eating fatty foods) were down to this. I know of other people who've had the gallbladder removed who've continued to have problems with digestion/pain etc.But the back pain + pain below my ribs is now becoming fairly constant.Embarassingly, my faeces has also become a lot smellier over the past 2 weeks.Ive gone to my doctor, who has ordered blood and urine tests (liver, kidney function etc).Anyone have the same symtoms or any ideas?Hi there ~Not sure if you've received help or not. I had the same thing a while back thinking it was my gall bladder. I had an abdominal ultrasound that came back normal, but my blood tests came back high (which usually means infection). I had the stomach pains (same area), nausea, indigestion, loss of appetite, and also embarrassing as it is, my gas and stools were extremely smelly. My doctor said I had a stomach infection and gave me augmentin for the infection for 10days. I took that and haven't had any stomach issues since....Hope you get this resolved soon. Take care!
  • HelpI had my gallbladdrer out 4 weeks ago and i am in just as much pain now as i was before. I had one stone removed which was 1.5cm and it was found sitting in the neck of the gallbladder, no other stones were found.I went back to the dr last week and he referred me to a gastro dr, i saw him on Wednesday and he thinks i have a stone stuck in the common bile duct and that is what is causing all my pain, he also said i am slighlty jaundiced. He ordered a blood test and i am having a MRI scan on MOnday.Has anybody else had anything like this who can give me some advice?Debbie
  • Had an Ultrasound done today and everything was clear. Still getting the pains as well as lower back pain accross the top of my buttocks, and the burping. I also seem to have a lot of mucus in my throat and have to keep clearing it. Has anyone any suggestions - I'm worried sick and can't sleep.
    MichaelM 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have a gall bladder filled with polyps. My doctor says no problem but a gastro guy said I need more looking into. I never feel well and have burning histamine sensations welling up in my body.The interesting thing is that in the meantime I am seeing a Japanese acupuncturist who is rather renown. He ran his finger from the top of my painful head, thru my right eye, pointed to the spot on the inside of my right front bottom of ribcage, the left side of my right rib cage , touched a point in the middle of my right back, then a point on my spine, then ran his finger thru my right knee to my foot. He said right eye thru right knee to bottom of right foot were all the gall bladder and liver meridian, and the spots he touched were reference pain (on my back). He said my stomach, gall bladder and liver are on fire. But he took away the pain in the right eye, right knee, spot on my spine (near bra strap) which was twitiching and twitching in my right hand.
  • I have had similar pain symptoms. The pain begins just under the lower part of the sternum and radiates upward along my back, shoulders, neck, and even into the head. I haven't been successful in describing the pain, but it is so severe that it is incapacitating at times. I first experienced this pain 4 years ago after an endoscopy/dialation, which was attributed to cramping caused by the extent of the dialation, and was treated with shots of morphine and some nice prescription painkillers. After a few days the pain subsided..2 or 3 years later the pain returned, gradually at first. I treated it with whatever OTC painkiller was on hand. When the pain began to creep up the back, it caused my back/shoulder/neck to tense up, so I tried advil or aleve to try to reduce muscle inflamation. Tylenol helped with the pain the most, so when things got bad I would rely on it over the others. After a few weeks the pain went away, but subsequent flare ups were becomming more common.So, i went to see doctors. I went to my general physician, my GI doctor, and even was sent to a endocrinologist - each time running the checklist of blood and urine tests, had an ultrasound and another endoscopy. While the GI doctor found my esophogus had constricted again, nobody could find the source of the pain.After a while I gave up hope on getting help with the pain. While prescription painkillers helped, most doctors won't prescribe them without identifying a source of the pain. Besides, I believe I am the sort of personality that would easily abuse such drugs if they were made available.Eventually I found a pattern that fit most of the flare ups, taking common OTC medications like aleve or advil for a headache or back problems. I knew that these drugs could erode the stomach lining, so I decided to rely on tylenol only, and it seems to help. I found that taking advil just once was enough to send me into a weeks of ***l. I also found that if I didn't take advil or aleve I could avoid flare ups entirely.I figured it was just a quirk, my body couldn't handle those drugs. However, a few months ago my mother was having similar problems. Pain in the chest, along the shoulder, and up into the neck. The doctors tests found nothing, and they recommended advil/aleve to help with muscle irratation. It was getting worse, she was missing work, and then it occurred to me that her pain problems were similar to mine. I explained what I had found about advil and aleve and she said that her problems first started when she began taking advil for a toothache. She stopped taking advil entirely, and over the next week got better. While it is more of a prevention thing, and it won't help immediately, you might want to supplement your painkiller with tylenol to see if that helps. If possible keep a log of what medications you take and see if there is any pattern... it isn't much help, but it isn't hopeless. (Anyway, I took some advil a few days ago, hoping it wouldn't hurt me, but I am in terrible pain again. Does anyone know of anything that can help aleviate the pain - or do I just have to wait to heal? :()
  • Debbie: I had an exoerience very similar to yours. To start, I should tell you that I have not yet had a helpful or correct diagnosis. I started out with pain in my lower right side, right below my rib cage. This pain was awful, and nothing helped. I had an ultrasound and there were some small stones and crystals in my gallbladder, so they scheduled me right away to have it out. Once it was out, I thought it was better -- for about a week or two, but that could have been covered by the pain of the surgery. Anyway, I was then sent to every doctor my pcp could think of, and had every test they each could think of and then some. Nothing showed up. Finally a doctor that I knew they worked in the office with one of my doctors mentioned to me that it could have something to do with the sphincter muscle that controlled the flow of bile in the duct between the gall bladder and liver. They thought it might be constricted, so they planned yet another surgery to dilate it. I was told there were many side effects and dangers to having this surgery, but I went ahead with it anyway. Ended up with a collapsed lung, pancreatitis, AND if that weren't enough...chronic hepatitis. Not Hep B or C, or any other letter for that matter, but a chronic form of hepatitis that doesn't ever really go away. None of the above has been able to pinpoint the problem, or give me any relief. The last surgery - the sphincterotomy - was successful in the fact that the duct was a little contricted, and he opened from about the width of a piece of spaghetti to a piece of ziti. So, I can no longer take Tylenol because of the hepatitis (it makes it worse and I could kill what's left of my liver), and due to other medical issues I can't take any ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) or naprosen products. I was on Demerol every 4 hrs which helped ALOT, but it can be extremely addictive, so they switched me to fentanyl patches. You change them every 72 hrs (3 days), and they have helped. There are days where the pain is bad enough to break thru the patches, but for most days they are quite helpful. The patches are only for longterm chronic pain. They won't give them to you for post surgical pain, or anything short term. Anyway, since I've rambled on forever, I'll try to cut it short. I just wanted you to know that you aren't alone. There are others with similar issues. You should speak to someone about the shincterotomy...it's not always bad for everyone. I have some serious health issues, and they are most likely what contributed to my problems. Good luck. I hope you get some relief soon. I know how frustrating it can be, especially when you start feeling like no one believes you. Lori
    Brook-lyn 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I want you to know that I had my gallbladder out and had the pain and the smelly bowel movements, etc. that you mention. I ended up having pancreatitis almost a year after I had the gallbladder surgery. Please check for it before you get as bad as I did. I've had the results of the blood tests back - kidney, liver function fine, B12 and other levels normal.The only slightly strange thing was a raised folate levels (normal range 2.4 - 6, mine 8)???So what is this pain???It has eased since I first went but I'm still having the same troubling symptoms.Looked up raised folate levels and all I could find was stuff about vegetarians may have raised levels (I'm not one), something about blind loop syndrome (where part of the small bowel may be obstructed, causing bacterial overgrowth), and several other things that didn't seem to add up.Dr reckons I may have lactose intolerance which may provide a simple explanation, as I tend to react violently to certain foods, such as powdered gravy (contains dried milk and egg).
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement