Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Left Buttock and Rear Thigh Numbness

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 11 Replies
  • Posted By: Shimokitazawa
  • May 6, 2010
  • 07:03 PM

Hi,

November 2008 I sat on a small stool reading for about 45 minutes. Later that night I had a charliehorse sensation in my left thigh and a bit of cramping.

Since then, my Left lower buttock and rear thigh have been numb. It's not painful really but numb.

I have seen a G.P., Chyropractor, Neurologist and done a bit of accupuncture. None of them have really been able to diagnose me. The G.P. gave me a corticosteroid that he shot into my butt and leg but no relief.

It's now May 2010 and I still have the numbness. I'm thinking of just going to a different hospital and trying different doctors soon but found this website.

Any ideas what I have?

Reply Flag this Discussion

11 Replies:

• Anyone have any ideas for me?thanks
    Shimokitazawa 4 Replies Flag this Response
  • I'm still looking to solve this problem of numbness in my left buttock and rear leg.I'd appreciate it if anyone here can comment on how I can go about resolving it. It's been about a year and a half now since it started.
  • I'm still looking to solve this problem of numbness in my left buttock and rear leg.I'd appreciate it if anyone here can comment on how I can go about resolving it. It's been about a year and a half now since it started.I just read your comments. I developed numbness in my rt. buttock and the back of my thigh after having a long fusion of my spine that extends from T9-S1. I have had it for 2 years. It is also extremely painful to sit. I was wondering if your symptoms ever resolved themselves? Thanks - PL
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 6, 2010
    • 04:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm not sure what the problem is. Some doctors have told me that it is not sciatica or piriformis syndrome.I've had it since late 2008 and it is now 2011, so for about 2 full years now.It seems to be difficult for doctors to diagnose.
  • Well do you have any back pain, tingling in your leg, ringing in your ears, dizziness? Do you have a sedentary lifestyle or have a job that requires you to sit most of the time? My guess is that it has less to do with you sitting on a stool and more to do with all the other sitting you do. Does it help to go to the gym and lift weights with your legs? Other questions would be whether you have any problem with your balance, with fatigue, or incontinence. Any muscle spasms or cramps? Also, how has your problem progressed over the last two years?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Well do you have any back pain, tingling in your leg, ringing in your ears, dizziness? Do you have a sedentary lifestyle or have a job that requires you to sit most of the time? My guess is that it has less to do with you sitting on a stool and more to do with all the other sitting you do. Does it help to go to the gym and lift weights with your legs? Other questions would be whether you have any problem with your balance, with fatigue, or incontinence. Any muscle spasms or cramps? Also, how has your problem progressed over the last two years?It just got worse last week - July 23, 2011. When I posted this 2 years ago, I had a numb patch on my rear thigh and lower left buttock. It's still there. But last week my lower lumbar had a very sharp pain. Then, 2 days later my calf muscle cramped up and now I have numbness and pins and needles in my left foot. There is no strength or power in my leg. I can't push up on to my tip toes, for example. It's almost like paralysis but not quite. Just no power to push when I walk or try to run.Yeah, I sit a lot both at home in front of my computer and at work - office job.Any ideas what I have?
  • Sounds like something neurological. Have you have any imaging done, i e MRI, CT?
    Felsen 510 Replies Flag this Response
  • Sounds like something neurological. Have you have any imaging done, i e MRI, CT?MRI and X-rays on July 28. The General Practitioner that looked at them said he didn't see any herniated discs. But I'm hoping to see a neurologist today.I have sciatic-like symptoms, Pain subsided but now have paralysis / weakness in my leg. No power to push up onto my toes or push forward when walking or running.So I'm worried now.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • My ex had the same symptoms and it took the doctors 2 years to tell him he had MS. He had to get several MRI's where they looked for lesions on his spine.
    Lfilly 3 Replies
    • October 30, 2011
    • 04:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My ex had the same symptoms and it took the doctors 2 years to tell him he had MS.  He had to get several MRI's where they looked for lesions on his spine.
    Lfilly 3 Replies
    • October 30, 2011
    • 04:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My ex had the same symptoms and it took the doctors 2 years to tell him he had MS.  He had to get several MRI's where they looked for lesions on his spine.
    Lfilly 3 Replies
    • October 30, 2011
    • 04:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement