Discussions By Condition: Nerve conditions

Excessive HOT FEET and Hands

Posted In: Nerve conditions 63 Replies
  • Posted By: weschar
  • January 11, 2007
  • 06:17 PM

Hey - My feet and hands get excessively hot and it feels so uncomfotable. They are not painful, neither do they sweat nor pins and needles pain. When I look at my hands or feet they look reddish... I was wondering if anyone can advise what they think it is..

Many thanks

Reply Flag this Discussion

63 Replies:

• I've gotten this my whole life (now 33 yrs old). I have found that on those day that i've had too much high sodium foods. That's when this happens. I can sometimes offset it when I drink enough water. But generally I just can't have foods high in sodium. Helpful hint: beleive it or not i've then when I put nice cold rag on my feet and it help to cool them down.raynay0904@yahoo.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I've had radiantly hot feet for years. They don't sweat or itch. It seems to be internal heat, as my husband says they do not feel hot to the touch. The only thing I can do to relieve the hotness is put them under ice cold faucet of water right before bed and pray I can go to sleep before the coolness wears off! I've asked drs why my feet feel hot and they smile at me...that's all! They dismiss the question. I am not diabetic. this occurs at any time but more so at night. It's an awful feeling and even putting your feet on a rug is torture! I feel some relief when I walk on a tile floor. I don't think anyone knows what they are talking about when we have this problem. They seem to be guessing at what it is. Whoever can relieve this condition with a product will be a millionaire!
    bebbie 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have hot hands and feet usually hot to the touch as well. I've discovered on days where I drink less water, this happens. The other cause seems to be on days where I eat foods high in sodium... hope this helps!
  • thanks so much for the tips. I have quit using salt at the table and my feet seem to be less hot. I'll take your tip about drinking more water too. thanks,
  • yea ive had this problem since i was a kid.i rememeber my mom used to put rubbing alcohol on my feet andlye my feet in front of the fan...thing is,my feet and hands still get this way..and it always happens before i go to bed.
  • I wish to thank Hottie and Saddee for the info about salt intake making hands and feet too hot. I have always had hot hands and feet, both day and night, except when it is very cold. I can't wear slippers with warm linings because my feet would bake. I have also always used too much salt in my foods, and also have a weight problem, which only adds to my overall body heat levels. I have recently begun a salt reducing plan, but it's too early to tell if it will work. Going off salt cold turkey isn't an option, as I like how it flavors the food. I also like a lot of garlic on my foods. I now make my own garlic salt by mixing approximately one part of Morton's Lite Salt, which is 50% salt, with one part of garlic powder. That gives me a level of about 25% salt. I like garlic almost as much as I like salt, so I now use my mixture instead of plain salt on most of the salted type foods I eat. I also try to drink plenty of fluids.--Keep cool, SK
    SK07932 1 Replies
    • September 3, 2008
    • 07:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey - My feet and hands get excessively hot and it feels so uncomfotable. They are not painful, neither do they sweat nor pins and needles pain. When I look at my hands or feet they look reddish... I was wondering if anyone can advise what they think it is.. Many thanks Hi, I had a similar thing having been diagnosed with polyneuropathy but nothing helped until other doctors decided I had Polycythemia Vera which is a blood disease and they immediately removed 500ml of blood (which is what blood donors give, so nothing to worry about) . By the next day, the intense burning I had in my feet completely disappeared and I never had it since. Somehow it did not help with the burning in my hand or the pins and needles in my face.To all of you, doctors and patients who have to deal with this, please please please ,for the sake of relieving someone from this intense pain, consider taking blood out, it's worth a try and it certainly is not going to do you any harm.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 5, 2008
    • 08:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • THANK YOU for the tip on salt and water... Makes sense, i've always been a salt a holic and always suffered from uncomfortably hot hands and feet, mostly at night....I often take ice backs to bed with me.... Nice to know i'm not the only one who has suffered from this.... that was always scary, thinking it's just me.... you know, misery loves company!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 12, 2008
    • 05:08 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had hot hands and feet for years and finally someone told me that maybe I was lowon calcium. When I began to take calcium regularly for a few weeks, I noticed that myfeet were not as hot at night. I don't know if this is true, but it helped me.
  • I started having hot feet in highschool, like most of you fella's no symptoms except for the feeling that my feet we're burning, however sodium effect me in a different way. I have given up on salt altogether after I found that food or sport drinks high in sodium were making me sick to the stomach. However my feet have been increaseing in discomfort and here in Australia were going into winter. I can't get to sleep and I can only wear shoes long enough to play one game of soccer every mondayother then iceing my feet is there anything else i can do?
  • my feet were on fire, i agree with the water drinking to solve the problem. however to the temporary relief wash your feet under cool water and then rub them down with lotion, and relax in front of a fan
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I have noticed in the past year that drinking alcohol, caffiene or eating spicy food makes my hands and feet very hot to the touch. They get red, but not painful. My veins also buldge from the vascular change. I do agree about the water intake and to watch the sodium you eat. I just think that things that cause blood to flow intensly will affect your extremities. Also, most people with this problem have skin irritations or breakouts at times. Rosacea is also common with these symptoms. I am just glad to hear I am not the only one who has this...I thought I was a freak!
  • my feet get hot before i sleep. i try wetting them but the coolness wears off before i fall asleep. and as for drinking lots of water, what that means is ill be up all night going to the loo......HELP???
  • hi i have had this condition scince i can remember. when i was little before i went to bed my hands and feet would get hot and i would complain. my mother used to think i was crazy. well, i still have to cope with it but i found that putting a cold rag helps. ~franny
  • Hey - My feet and hands get excessively hot and it feels so uncomfotable. They are not painful, neither do they sweat nor pins and needles pain. When I look at my hands or feet they look reddish... I was wondering if anyone can advise what they think it is..Many thanksI had the same problem and the doctor called it Neuropathy . But the I got a e mail about diet soda, and its call sweet poison, from the sweetner in the soda.. I didn't believe it, but I tried it anyway, and stopped drinking diet Pepsi, and I have found that all my symptoms went away.
  • I've had radiantly hot feet for years. They don't sweat or itch. It seems to be internal heat, as my husband says they do not feel hot to the touch. The only thing I can do to relieve the hotness is put them under ice cold faucet of water right before bed and pray I can go to sleep before the coolness wears off! I've asked drs why my feet feel hot and they smile at me...that's all! They dismiss the question. I am not diabetic. this occurs at any time but more so at night. It's an awful feeling and even putting your feet on a rug is torture! I feel some relief when I walk on a tile floor. I don't think anyone knows what they are talking about when we have this problem. They seem to be guessing at what it is. Whoever can relieve this condition with a product will be a millionaire!Dont drink diet sodas or eat anything with a sweetner in it... I had the same thing and found out, it was from the sweetner and its called SWEET POISON.......... google it u will see what I mean.
  • I've had radiantly hot feet for years. They don't sweat or itch. It seems to be internal heat, as my husband says they do not feel hot to the touch. The only thing I can do to relieve the hotness is put them under ice cold faucet of water right before bed and pray I can go to sleep before the coolness wears off! I've asked drs why my feet feel hot and they smile at me...that's all! They dismiss the question. I am not diabetic. this occurs at any time but more so at night. It's an awful feeling and even putting your feet on a rug is torture! I feel some relief when I walk on a tile floor. I don't think anyone knows what they are talking about when we have this problem. They seem to be guessing at what it is. Whoever can relieve this condition with a product will be a millionaire!Hello bebbie I have exactly same thing please let me know if you have find out any solution it is so hard t sleep at nights.I will really appriciate my email is : dortyol@hotmail.comthanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 1, 2009
    • 05:27 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had a dreadful night last night and felt that I barely slept. Yes the cold tiled floor is great when my feet burn like this. but one cannot sleep standing in the bathroom. I have decided I shall try drinking more water after tea, but then I'm going to be in the bathroom all night again. I can see it coming now. I used to get an ice pack and wrap it in a hand towel, and put my feet on it, and then have one for my hands too.I felt pretty stupid googling hot hands and feet at night and I feel so comforted that it is not just me. So thanks to all you guys out there....just goes to show that we must be hot stuff...whether we like it or not!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 23, 2009
    • 06:28 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had the same problem and the doctor called it Neuropathy . But the I got a e mail about diet soda, and its call sweet poison, from the sweetner in the soda.. I didn't believe it, but I tried it anyway, and stopped drinking diet Pepsi, and I have found that all my symptoms went away.OMG I am sat here with burning hands right now and I am drinking diet pepsi.Also this happened yesterday and I was drinking diet pepsi.I will give it up now and see what difference it makesMy hands have been burning on & off for a while now and I also get Eczema on my hand and they split. Do you know if the same substence is in diet coke??
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 25, 2009
    • 01:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i just run cold water on my hands or feet. I like to wash dishes with cold water that helps it cool down for a moment. it's temp relief ! i heard that they get hot beacuase your swollen. maybe too much salt. cut down on salt. Sat make you swell up and retain water thats why they feel so hot. but in the mean time cold water relieves you for a bit. i do that and get someting super cold to drink with ice ... that also cools me down and it's cold while im holding it in my hands. If I get hot before I go to sleep i take a cold shower i start it out warm the make it colder and colder till i can handle it. and stayin it for a while then i feel refreshed and able to get some sleep.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 30, 2009
    • 03:56 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement