Discussions By Condition: Common conditions

Right side pain in back, abdominal swelling, pain under belly....

Posted In: Common conditions 17 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 11, 2007
  • 04:41 PM

In nov I had an ear infection. I got a antibiotic, sulfer based. It made me feel nausiated, and I had to drink a lot of water, so I had lost some of my appitite and felt bloated and full. In dec the infection and antibiotics were gone, but I still felt bloated and full. Woke up in early dec with a lower back pain and though I had slept wrong. During all of dec I felt bloated, pain around my belly button toward the right side, pain in my back on the right side, pain under my belly button toward the right side. Sometimes nausiated, gassy. Had been diagnosed with IBS before, but this doesn't feel like IBS. Haven't been to the doctor yet but will be going soon. Now it is jan and I already lost 8 lbs. Feel very full after eating a small amount of food but still very hungry. End up snacking all day. Stomach hurts if I eat too much. Bowels working normally. Stomach sometimes sour. What could this be? Thanks for any answers

Reply Flag this Discussion

17 Replies:

• I have 2 things in mind.Antibiotics kill the friendly bacteria in your system- and it can easily let Candida albicans overpopulate your intestines. Candida can cause symptoms like the ones you describe. You might also want to google "leaky gut syndrome" - because it is an advanced stage of this condition often related to antibiotics.Also, you may want to ask the doctor if you might have H. pylori - since H.pylori is a bacteria that won't be killed with one round of antibiotics and can easily live in your stomach- preventing you from digesting food properly. Some people with H. pylori feel "muscle pull" and all kind of funny symptoms, so testing would not be a bad idea.Take care.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 11, 2007
    • 05:09 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you very much for the reply. I would have never thought of that. I will be back to post when I do get to the doc. Thanks again....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 13, 2007
    • 03:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi!I have the same issues and I believe ive narrowed it down to some sulfer based "vitamins". Im very interested in hearing what you find out. If you'd like, feel free to email me at thesaint333@hotmail.comThanks!M.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 5, 2007
    • 05:24 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had the same symptoms for months. Originally it started out with nasopharynx infections...I felt a little bloating and back pain but didn't think much of it. In the meantime I started to have high pitch roaring tinnitus (have had it for a year and a half now). More recently the pain in my abdomen has taken over. The pain is in my right lower abdomen and I have back pain. At first I thought since I had been on so many antibiotics maybe it was candidias but I took fluconozole and it didn't do anything. I'm not sure what else to do. I was referred to a GI doctor so that is next. They have also ordered a pelvic ultrasound. Maybe you should goto a GI doc?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 7, 2007
    • 09:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • In nov I had an ear infection. I got a antibiotic, sulfer based. It made me feel nausiated, and I had to drink a lot of water, so I had lost some of my appitite and felt bloated and full. In dec the infection and antibiotics were gone, but I still felt bloated and full. Woke up in early dec with a lower back pain and though I had slept wrong. During all of dec I felt bloated, pain around my belly button toward the right side, pain in my back on the right side, pain under my belly button toward the right side. Sometimes nausiated, gassy. Had been diagnosed with IBS before, but this doesn't feel like IBS. Haven't been to the doctor yet but will be going soon. Now it is jan and I already lost 8 lbs. Feel very full after eating a small amount of food but still very hungry. End up snacking all day. Stomach hurts if I eat too much. Bowels working normally. Stomach sometimes sour. What could this be? Thanks for any answersPLEASE get a CA-125 and an ultrasound and do NOT take no for an answer from the doctor, who will tell you that ovarian cancer is "so unlikely". That's what they told my mom. and she wasn't diagnosed until Stage IIIC because of it and has recently passed away. It probably isn't that, but RULE IT OUT NOW before moving on.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Along with the CA 125, you may also want a CEA and CA 19-9 as well. These are both tumor markers for gastrointestinal issues. I'm not saying that you have cancer, but with these types of symptoms, especially the weight loss, the doctor should start with the worst case scenario and work forward. Best of Luck.
  • I too have similar symtoms to those described, though mine only make themselves apparent after I've been lying down for some time. Its almost as if being horizontal is the trigger to the pains you have described. I have no idea what the pain relates to, any thoughts, especially with regards to the pain being noctornal only, would be appreciated. (Its not the matress!)
  • Get checked for c dif especially since you were on antibiotics. clostridium difficile comes from the use of antibitotics. it causes alot of what you are experiencing. there are 2 diff tests type a and type b ..ask for both tests and get checked again if the first is negativeit is a nasty bacterial infection
  • C.diff would most likely manifest with abdominal pain and EXTREME diarrhea. If you aren't having diarrhea, c.diff is not so likely
  • hi im only 15 and i have been experiencing some back pain on my lower right side and also lower abdominal pain i would liek some advice on what it could be because i really hate the doctors thanks x
  • please get checked for ovarian cancer...if you are a women...many symptoms are here
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 15, 2010
    • 00:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Get your Gallbladder checked, you have the exact symptoms of a gallbladder attack!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 18, 2010
    • 03:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I also have right side pain that is only when lying down. Ruled out appendix, burst ovarian cyst, CT scan showed nothing. It's been waking me up in the early morning, and also the other day when I laid down midday it started up. Around the right waist-to-hip area is mine. If you find out what was causing yours, let me know. Thanks. marlajones@att.net
  • I have had the same symptoms for months. Originally it started out with nasopharynx infections...I felt a little bloating and back pain but didn't think much of it. In the meantime I started to have high pitch roaring tinnitus (have had it for a year and a half now). More recently the pain in my abdomen has taken over. The pain is in my right lower abdomen and I have back pain. At first I thought since I had been on so many antibiotics maybe it was candidias but I took fluconozole and it didn't do anything. I'm not sure what else to do. I was referred to a GI doctor so that is next. They have also ordered a pelvic ultrasound. Maybe you should goto a GI doc?Very interesting: I have the very same...had sinus infection for over a year until diagnosed now clear. Have had pulsitile tinnitus for seven years now, non stop whooshing. Have pain and bloating in right side and back and most recently with the ab. and back pain have developed phlebitis in right arm...very very painful in arm pit and down vein inside arm...has turned red, blue and now green as it dissipates. No one has any idea what is causing all this.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 24, 2011
    • 04:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My fiance has been goin through the same thing but the only diference is he has surgery in augest of 2010 for removal of a cancerious tumor. 6 weeks after his surgery they did another exam and found another tumor about the size of a pea. They turned around and put him on a cancer pill called gleevec.Since then he has been having problems with his stomach and bowel movements.Everything he intakes comes right back out and it is watery. He has been throwing up an aweful lot to.As time went by the pain started slowely fading. But inMarch of this year things have been getting worse. He has been having excriociating pain in his lower stomach on the right side that goes all the way to his back.He has tingeling of the right side, it is also swollen. He's has diarehia every since the surgery but now it is like he has flakes of skin in it.He is never hungry but eats because he knows he needs to. He went to the hospital in June because it is just getting worse. They didn't even do any type of test on him. All they said was he pulled a musle in his back and that he had shingle (which is a form of chicken pox in people over the age of 30 get and can be deadly). They put him on antibiotics to get rid of the shingles and put him on musle spasm pills and like 4 other different pills. They told him that in a few days he would have bumps pop up on his stomach and back. But he never did and the pain is just gettin worse.Sometimes I have to help him get out of bed, go to the bathroom,or to whereever he wqants to be.Sometimes I have to help him roll over in bed because he can't move he is in so much pain. Our family doctor said it sounds like his kineys what could it be?Please help me.
  • My fiance has been goin through the same thing but the only diference is he has surgery in augest of 2010 for removal of a cancerious tumor. 6 weeks after his surgery they did another exam and found another tumor about the size of a pea. They turned around and put him on a cancer pill called gleevec.Since then he has been having problems with his stomach and bowel movements.Everything he intakes comes right back out and it is watery. He has been throwing up an aweful lot to.As time went by the pain started slowely fading. But inMarch of this year things have been getting worse. He has been having excriociating pain in his lower stomach on the right side that goes all the way to his back.He has tingeling of the right side, it is also swollen. He's has diarehia every since the surgery but now it is like he has flakes of skin in it.He is never hungry but eats because he knows he needs to. He went to the hospital in June because it is just getting worse. They didn't even do any type of test on him. All they said was he pulled a musle in his back and that he had shingle (which is a form of chicken pox in people over the age of 30 get and can be deadly). They put him on antibiotics to get rid of the shingles and put him on musle spasm pills and like 4 other different pills. They told him that in a few days he would have bumps pop up on his stomach and back. But he never did and the pain is just gettin worse.Sometimes I have to help him get out of bed, go to the bathroom,or to whereever he wqants to be.Sometimes I have to help him roll over in bed because he can't move he is in so much pain. Our family doctor said it sounds like his kineys what could it be?Please help me.It's probably the pills he doesn't need. Google their side effects. They're usually worse than what you have.
  • I too have similar symtoms to those described, though mine only make themselves apparent after I've been lying down for some time. Its almost as if being horizontal is the trigger to the pains you have described. I have no idea what the pain relates to, any thoughts, especially with regards to the pain being noctornal only, would be appreciated. (Its not the matress!)Yes, I have this too! Especially in the middle of the night or before i wake up! pain in abdomen and back. so severe that i cant do anything when i have it. I staryt breathing as if i am in labour (as if it would reduce the pain) the pain is always on right hand side (the side i lie on) and it can also move into lower back area.The pain is sudden and fierce - can last anything up to a few hours and when it goes the pain relief is very instant. ANYONE ANY IDEAS OF WHAT THIS COULD BE???thank you! From, please make it stop!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 16, 2011
    • 04:31 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement