Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Breathing problems, muscle twitches, pain...

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 18 Replies
  • Posted By: TabbyCatZac
  • January 11, 2007
  • 11:47 AM

Okay. This is my first time posting anything here, so I’m not really sure if I need certain formatting, or information or anything… so sorry if I mess it up. Also, I apologise if this is the wrong forum… it’s in a lot of areas (back, breathing, muscle, etcetera), so… I just picked this one.

Anyway. Lately I’ve been getting a lot of muscle spasms… or twitches. I’m not sure if there’s a difference between a ‘spasm’ and ‘twitch’. Either way; sometimes an entire limb will suddenly ***k, other times I can feel a muscle quivering for a few moments. It started in my right leg, (thigh) but not it’s everywhere… hands (&fingers), feet (&toes), arms, legs, shoulders, stomach, neck, face. At first it was just annoying, and I ignored it. But now my arms and legs feel tensed and exhausted. I can’t walk for very long without feeling like I’ve run a marathon, and I can’t do much actions with my arms before they start feeling tired. They also feel continuously tensed… like when I set or lie down, and try to relax, it feels like they won’t relax. My legs, especially the right, are not beginning to feel sore as well.
Recently as well, my hands tend to be shaking mildly, a lot. It’s worse in my left hand, and I think it’s just the fingers… if I hold my hands out, I can see that just them seem to me moving, and occasionally twitching.
Another couple things; sometimes I get double vision. Not really double, but things will have like… an outline of themselves around the edges. My vision also seems to blacken a lot after standing (after sitting or lying for a while) a lot lately. Which is mostly just annoying, and somewhat dizzying.

Also, I’m having trouble breathing. No matter how deep of a breath I take, it feels like I can’t get enough air. Sometimes my chest will hurt immensely, which of course makes this worse.
I don’t know if this has any connection, but might as well add it;
About a month or so ago, I went to the doctor because I had a large bulge on my side, and it was hurting. I was afraid something was wrong inside; and was relieved when my doctor told me I had a bit of scoliosis. The only thing I noticed (since I can’t see my back, of course) was the bulge. He said if it got much worse, we might use bracing, or whatever; but said it was fine.

Well, now my back is starting to hurt as well, along with my ribs. My left ribcage is protruding out much further than my right, and my hip bones seem… askew? Tilted? I’m not real sure how to explain it. Bulge is still there too.

I’m seventeen, female. Not sure about my height (over five feet, I know); and about 108 lbs.
My parents say I’m underweight; I’m not sure about that. But before anyone asks, no I don’t have any eating disorders. I eat when I’m hungry, and for the most part quite healthily; lots of fruit, a good amount of vegetables, and definitely meat. =)
The only medicine I’m on is amitriptyline, which my doctor have me a year or two ago for chronic headaches. Might I add, they don’t seem to be working very well anymore… I take one every night before bed as directed (50mg pills), and I still get terrible headaches at times.
Oh yes. I’ve never had any serious illnesses, or injuries, or anything, apart from nerve damage in my left ear… ‘supposably’. I had terrible earaches the other year, and after going to three different doctors, and multiple medicines… it finally went away on it’s own. Some hearing loss, but nothing extravagant.
Anybody have any suggestions of how to help any of these things?

Reply Flag this Discussion

18 Replies:

• my daughter and I started having muscle twitches within 6mo. of each other. We had severe twitching everywhere, my daughter had tons of test and finally we found out that we both had a recent EBV infection(mononucleosis). We had both been sick before the onset of the twitching. I would suggest going to a good gp and a neurologist if this continues.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 11, 2007
    • 03:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • :eek: Hello There; This sounds like a rare & abstract condition known as; I'm Stuck Chuck & don't Have A Clue & yes it is a rare but not a serious condition. When you were growing up, i'm thinking that you went to someone in authority to get answers to your questions, Now the years have gone by & you still have questions, we all do, but you have entered a new and sometimes dangerous arena. Comming to this place, i call The Hospital has opened doors to a world of people with multiple, multiple problems. My personal background is this; In 1972* i became a Christian, i am now 58 yrs. old. So i've had my share of life experiences. We can tackle our problems with Gods help, or without His help, the choice is ours. There is something i must attend to so be thinking about what i've said up till now, post me back when you figuire out how you want to handle this.:)
    hogndog 426 Replies
    • January 12, 2007
    • 00:26 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hm. Well, I got dragged to a clinic today. And the doctor there sent me to the ER of another hospital. He thought there was something wrong with my thyroid gland, or something like that; and he found it odd my pulse was continually racing.They drew blood and everything, and very oddly enough... my problem (that they found) is an irregular/fast heartbeat. Every so often my heart will pick up speed for no reason, throw in an extra beat or two, go back to normal, repeat.Doctor thinks the twitching might be contributed to.. caffeine, or the medicine I was taking. So he gave me some stuff to slow down my heart, and whatnot. Have to go elsewhere for my pains, but that can wait.Funny thing is, I never even realised my heart *was* a problem. Infection was a thought beforehand, but then I figured I had no temperature, or anything... so I discarded the idea. I hope you and your daughter are doing better now, though. ^_^Although; if this medicine doesn't do my twitching any good, neurologist would be my next pick. amitriptaline never caused me any troubles before, nor has anything like caffeine ever caused me any trouble. As far as the religious post goes... erm. That kind of confused me. >.>
    TabbyCatZac 6 Replies
    • January 12, 2007
    • 09:34 AM
    Flag this Response
  • ;) Good Morning; & a good one it ti's. You sound as though you've got a handle on your situation. There is a point that you mention; "The Coffee", & as far as i can see this is probably the answer to your twitching & irregular heart beat. I love coffee, but the thing is, "That", was my problem as well. I went cold turkey & within 2 days time the problem was no longer a problem. The next problem as i see it is the medications, they may have a short term effect, but in the long run can & will create more problems. Try the coffee bit, then let me know. Good Luck, As Always, In His Service.:D
    hogndog 426 Replies
    • January 12, 2007
    • 02:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Not the coffee for me. I only have it on occasions, and haven't had any source of caffeine for the past week. Twitching has died down somewhat, due to the medication I'm assuming. But I still get the occasional double-vision, and I still feel like my heart's beating faster than it should. Haha. And I'm supposed to stop taking the medication now for a week. He said take it for a week, and then stop... see if my problems go away. Otherwise, I gotta go back. ER just wants my cash. xD Thanks for the suggestion, though. I was thinking maybe it was caffeine as well at first.
    TabbyCatZac 6 Replies
    • January 19, 2007
    • 10:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • :) Hello Again, i may have an idea & it's helped so many people already i thought i'd share it with you First of all, listen to doctor & do as he says. Then try this supplement along with your medication, it's called turmeric. http://www.omorganics.com/tumeric_article.php Now do this every day & within a months time you will see the results. As Always, In His Service.;)
    hogndog 426 Replies
    • January 19, 2007
    • 10:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • :o OOP'S heres the right address; http://www.omorganics.com/tumeric_article.htm ;)
    hogndog 426 Replies
    • January 19, 2007
    • 10:42 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Listen to the doctor. Yeeeeah.He told me to stop taking the medicine after a week. Already I'm having the spasms (worse) again, and all the other stuff. And I have to wait over two weeks before I can get to another doctor. Stayed up like... 42 hours without sleep already. Stupid health insurance policies in other countries. x.x I'm not big on the herbal healing stuff. Although they are beginning to prove/assume it does help... I'm more willing to trust the pharmacy. As scary as that sounds. xD;
    TabbyCatZac 6 Replies
    • January 21, 2007
    • 03:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • ;) Well then; to each his own. There is a question though, what do you mean afraid of natural cures; after all "They Are Natural"!
    hogndog 426 Replies
    • January 21, 2007
    • 04:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Marijuana is natural. Doesn't exactly make it good for you. =P
    TabbyCatZac 6 Replies
    • January 23, 2007
    • 05:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • :o Whoa! I never said it did; where did that come from?
    hogndog 426 Replies
    • January 23, 2007
    • 05:09 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Haha. Relax. Your point was that 'natural cures', are 'natural, afterall'.My point was, natural doesn't make them necessarily good cures.Although, isn't Marijuana used for some medical treatments? Well, not really treatments, more to dull the pain, or somesuch. Treat the symptomns, not the problem.Anyway, point is; it's natural, but... well. It's illegal for the most part for a reason.Who knows what some of those other herbs and spices, concocted together, could do to a person?
    TabbyCatZac 6 Replies
    • January 24, 2007
    • 05:28 PM
    Flag this Response
  • actually marijuana is good for you
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 25, 2007
    • 01:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It's good in many ways, yes. But there are two things that outweigh the benefits of smoking marajuana.One is, it's illegal in the USA. Really worth going to prison for a 'natural healer', or whatever? Not im my opinion.And two; it's still smoke in the lungs. Now, if you were to cook it... then that's a whole 'nother story.
    TabbyCatZac 6 Replies
    • January 25, 2007
    • 05:53 AM
    Flag this Response
  • :D :o Hi guy's Im just a bit confused about how my handle got on this page? Back in the 60's i used, but no longer. The stuff always put me to sleep & then the projects i planed on doing went down the john! Sound familiar? Sorry but i have nothing to say on the subject except be careful out there!:D :D
    hogndog 426 Replies
    • January 25, 2007
    • 06:19 AM
    Flag this Response
  • TabbyCatZac:In response to your first thread, I have been having fairly similar symptons to yours, around 2 months ago I started feeling a kinda prickly, but paralytic pain on my neck muscles, I ignored it then a couple of weeks later I felt similar pain on my left wrist, then it seemed to spread to my arm and elbows, toes, legs and thighs to follow. I also experienced some kinda flush on my left limbs for a few nights during sleep. Flushes didn't happen for long but then there are more to follow, feeling twitches on my thigh and my inner feet, sometimes on the toes, I've even felt twitching on the head a couple of times. What's more, I also get quivers/jerks on the limbs during sleep, this goes along with fast heartbeat, during day or night. All the symptons I felt can happen at random times.I also want to add that I sometimes have a funny sensation on my head, a sensation where it feels like water is poured on your head, or something is pressing against your head. I would not really call these sensations 'pain' but they certainly feel very abnormal.With regards to double vision, I occasionally get black visions, feels like eyes get strained a lot easier, mind you, I am a city worker so I do face the computer for a long time, but that should not have anything to do with it cos I had been a computing student and been working for over a year now. I never felt like this before.And what infuriates me, is that my GP cannot see me until I register with my clinic properly. I was registered with my university clinic and never changed it when I graduated, so now it has been over a month and they still have not sorted it out the administrative molaki. Final a bit of personal info, I am 22, 5-11, fairly thin, no specific illness or medication, I probably only have coffee about 2 or 3 times per week at max. I rarely excercise and I smoke so I do consider myself unfit, not sure if the lack of exercise or smoking might be the cause for this.Many many thanks for your time reading and I hope to hear from you :)Adrian
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 27, 2007
    • 00:57 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Here are some ideas on nutritional deficiencies:1. folic acid: deficiency can cause headaches, anemia, fatique, shortness of breath and weakness.2. manganese: dizziness, glucose intolerance, loss of muscle control, tinnitus3. Pantathenic acid B5: burning feet, depression, fatigue, irritability, low blood pressure, muscle spasms4. potassium: muscle weakness, acne, constipation, depression, fatigue, nervousnous5. riboflavin: blurred vision, depression, dizziness, mouth lesions, neurological symptoms, seizures, sensitivity to light, sleepiness... There are more, but you get the idea that certain deficiencies may be causing some of your symptoms. Do you take a good quality supplement? I recommend EmergenC as it is readily available and gives good energy and is easily assimilated in the body (your body uses the nutrients right away) Why not try this and see if any of your symptoms change. Sorry I can't offer a more definitive diagnosis, but hope this helps.DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • January 27, 2007
    • 01:20 AM
    Flag this Response
  • ;) Hello There; i've an idea & i don't think it's been thought of because it's right under our nose's. http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/uscities/contents.asp Please feel free to examine it & then let me know what you think, As Always In His Service.:) :) :)
    hogndog 426 Replies
    • January 27, 2007
    • 02:02 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement