Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Metallic taste in mouth

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 5 Replies
  • Posted By: DebbyH
  • April 22, 2010
  • 10:20 PM

I have been dealing with a very strong metallic taste in my mouth for 4 months. I have had this before a year ago but it went away after about 2 weeks. I stopped all medications for 3 weeks and the metallic taste went away for the first 2 days and came right back. I don't drink anything but water (usually bottled), ice tea, juice and coffee. I have tried stopping each of those with no change. I went to the dentist and got a clean bill of health there. I went to an ENT doctor 2 weeks ago and he did a CAT scan and said I had some sinus issues and put me on a steriod dose pack, Keflex (antibiotic) and a nasal spray. The metallic taste went away for about 5 days but then came back. I am starting my 3rd week of the antibiotics now and the taste is as strong as ever. When this started 4 months ago - I noticed 5 or 6 bumps come up below my bottom lip. I also had several mouth sores for a few weeks. All of that went away - but the metallic taste remains. It is like I have a mouth full of copper pennies or paper clips - it feels like it is seeping out from under my teeth - not just one or two of them - but ALL of them. I would apprecitate any thoughts or ideas.

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• Any other symptoms?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • This is DebbyH - I had to create a new registration - the forum kept telling me my password was wrong and when I had them reset it - kept telling me the password they sent me was wrong! Other things I have just discovered 2 days ago - my blood sugar results are running high. On first waking up in the morning before food or anything to drink - 124 yesterday and 142 this morning. I was careful all day yesterday - watching what I ate and it ranged from 144 to 172 all day. The night before it was 183. I have never been diagnosed with diabetes - I am 49 years old (ok 50 next month but still holding out). My mother is diabetic and her father was diabetic. I have been tired the last 6 months but my husband is a Christian Recording Artist and we are on the road about 290 days a year and our schedule has been hectic this year. As for blood sugar meters - I have 3 different ones and I can take a reading off of 2 of the machines at the same time-with blood out of the same stick and they be at least 10 points off from each other. Is there a glucose machine out there that is reliable??? Other than a few bad sinus headaches (maybe 4 or 5) over the past 4 months - no other symptoms that I can recall.
    lrodsangel 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I had the same problem for about a year. I was tested for heavy metals. Yes I had mercury and other metals in my body including my tissues. Go and get tested for heavy metals. If you cannot find help go to an environmental Doctor. It's been a long road for me. Good Luck.en dealing with a very strong metallic taste in my mouth for 4 months. I have had this before a year ago but it went away after about 2 weeks. I stopped all medications for 3 weeks and the metallic taste went away for the first 2 days and came right back. I don't drink anything but water (usually bottled), ice tea, juice and coffee. I have tried stopping each of those with no change. I went to the dentist and got a clean bill of health there. I went to an ENT doctor 2 weeks ago and he did a CAT scan and said I had some sinus issues and put me on a steriod dose pack, Keflex (antibiotic) and a nasal spray. The metallic taste went away for about 5 days but then came back. I am starting my 3rd week of the antibiotics now and the taste is as strong as ever. When this started 4 months ago - I noticed 5 or 6 bumps come up below my bottom lip. I also had several mouth sores for a few weeks. All of that went away - but the metallic taste remains. It is like I have a mouth full of copper pennies or paper clips - it feels like it is seeping out from under my teeth - not just one or two of them - but ALL of them. I would apprecitate any thoughts or ideas.
  • These moderators are really beginning to annoy me, always removing useful links to information that is perinent. The link in my unregistered post above was of a list of a bunch of possible reasons for the metallic taste, there are many many possible causes. One which is diabetes, so yes I definately suggest being checked for diabetes.
  • This is DebbyH - I had to create a new registration - the forum kept telling me my password was wrong and when I had them reset it - kept telling me the password they sent me was wrong! Other things I have just discovered 2 days ago - my blood sugar results are running high. On first waking up in the morning before food or anything to drink - 124 yesterday and 142 this morning. I was careful all day yesterday - watching what I ate and it ranged from 144 to 172 all day. The night before it was 183. I have never been diagnosed with diabetes - I am 49 years old (ok 50 next month but still holding out). My mother is diabetic and her father was diabetic. I have been tired the last 6 months but my husband is a Christian Recording Artist and we are on the road about 290 days a year and our schedule has been hectic this year. As for blood sugar meters - I have 3 different ones and I can take a reading off of 2 of the machines at the same time-with blood out of the same stick and they be at least 10 points off from each other. Is there a glucose machine out there that is reliable??? Other than a few bad sinus headaches (maybe 4 or 5) over the past 4 months - no other symptoms that I can recall.By any chance are you taking lunesta sleep aide???? The side effect of that is the metalic taste
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement