Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Metallic taste in mouth

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 5 Replies
  • Posted By: DebbyH
  • April 22, 2010
  • 10:20 PM

I have been dealing with a very strong metallic taste in my mouth for 4 months. I have had this before a year ago but it went away after about 2 weeks. I stopped all medications for 3 weeks and the metallic taste went away for the first 2 days and came right back. I don't drink anything but water (usually bottled), ice tea, juice and coffee. I have tried stopping each of those with no change. I went to the dentist and got a clean bill of health there. I went to an ENT doctor 2 weeks ago and he did a CAT scan and said I had some sinus issues and put me on a steriod dose pack, Keflex (antibiotic) and a nasal spray. The metallic taste went away for about 5 days but then came back. I am starting my 3rd week of the antibiotics now and the taste is as strong as ever. When this started 4 months ago - I noticed 5 or 6 bumps come up below my bottom lip. I also had several mouth sores for a few weeks. All of that went away - but the metallic taste remains. It is like I have a mouth full of copper pennies or paper clips - it feels like it is seeping out from under my teeth - not just one or two of them - but ALL of them. I would apprecitate any thoughts or ideas.

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• Any other symptoms?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • This is DebbyH - I had to create a new registration - the forum kept telling me my password was wrong and when I had them reset it - kept telling me the password they sent me was wrong! Other things I have just discovered 2 days ago - my blood sugar results are running high. On first waking up in the morning before food or anything to drink - 124 yesterday and 142 this morning. I was careful all day yesterday - watching what I ate and it ranged from 144 to 172 all day. The night before it was 183. I have never been diagnosed with diabetes - I am 49 years old (ok 50 next month but still holding out). My mother is diabetic and her father was diabetic. I have been tired the last 6 months but my husband is a Christian Recording Artist and we are on the road about 290 days a year and our schedule has been hectic this year. As for blood sugar meters - I have 3 different ones and I can take a reading off of 2 of the machines at the same time-with blood out of the same stick and they be at least 10 points off from each other. Is there a glucose machine out there that is reliable??? Other than a few bad sinus headaches (maybe 4 or 5) over the past 4 months - no other symptoms that I can recall.
    lrodsangel 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I had the same problem for about a year. I was tested for heavy metals. Yes I had mercury and other metals in my body including my tissues. Go and get tested for heavy metals. If you cannot find help go to an environmental Doctor. It's been a long road for me. Good Luck.en dealing with a very strong metallic taste in my mouth for 4 months. I have had this before a year ago but it went away after about 2 weeks. I stopped all medications for 3 weeks and the metallic taste went away for the first 2 days and came right back. I don't drink anything but water (usually bottled), ice tea, juice and coffee. I have tried stopping each of those with no change. I went to the dentist and got a clean bill of health there. I went to an ENT doctor 2 weeks ago and he did a CAT scan and said I had some sinus issues and put me on a steriod dose pack, Keflex (antibiotic) and a nasal spray. The metallic taste went away for about 5 days but then came back. I am starting my 3rd week of the antibiotics now and the taste is as strong as ever. When this started 4 months ago - I noticed 5 or 6 bumps come up below my bottom lip. I also had several mouth sores for a few weeks. All of that went away - but the metallic taste remains. It is like I have a mouth full of copper pennies or paper clips - it feels like it is seeping out from under my teeth - not just one or two of them - but ALL of them. I would apprecitate any thoughts or ideas.
  • These moderators are really beginning to annoy me, always removing useful links to information that is perinent. The link in my unregistered post above was of a list of a bunch of possible reasons for the metallic taste, there are many many possible causes. One which is diabetes, so yes I definately suggest being checked for diabetes.
  • This is DebbyH - I had to create a new registration - the forum kept telling me my password was wrong and when I had them reset it - kept telling me the password they sent me was wrong! Other things I have just discovered 2 days ago - my blood sugar results are running high. On first waking up in the morning before food or anything to drink - 124 yesterday and 142 this morning. I was careful all day yesterday - watching what I ate and it ranged from 144 to 172 all day. The night before it was 183. I have never been diagnosed with diabetes - I am 49 years old (ok 50 next month but still holding out). My mother is diabetic and her father was diabetic. I have been tired the last 6 months but my husband is a Christian Recording Artist and we are on the road about 290 days a year and our schedule has been hectic this year. As for blood sugar meters - I have 3 different ones and I can take a reading off of 2 of the machines at the same time-with blood out of the same stick and they be at least 10 points off from each other. Is there a glucose machine out there that is reliable??? Other than a few bad sinus headaches (maybe 4 or 5) over the past 4 months - no other symptoms that I can recall.By any chance are you taking lunesta sleep aide???? The side effect of that is the metalic taste
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement