Discussions By Condition: Foot conditions

Inflamed, swollen toe that itches — Chilblains?

Posted In: Foot conditions 6 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 14, 2010
  • 07:36 AM

I'm 20 years old, and from northern British Columbia.
For approximately 16 months now, my middle toe on my left foot has been swollen and red. My initial thoughts were that I had gotten frostbite, as this happened in the winter.

I hadn't been paying much notice to it until just recently, when the pain started flaring up, and the toe reddened. The swelling is rather firm, and the skin has some sheen (perhaps from being stretched from the swelling?). There is also is a patch that is redder than the rest — looks like a blister wants to form but won't. The toe becomes itchy as well, especially so when it's warm/hot.
I shall also note that my feet (and hands) tend to be cold.

I've been looking around, and the closest thing to it is that I have found is "Chilblains"... so I figured I would place it in the title. Though I'm unsure really, that red patch truly makes me wonder.

It won't be until over a week for when I can see my doctor and sadly, I live in a small town so a walk-in clinic is out of the question. So, I'm hoping for some feedback... perhaps others have or have had something similar to this. Perhaps it will ease my thoughts, or I may mention it to my doctor.

I am not sure if we are allowed to post links... but if we are, and anyone is curious or would even like to compare, I'll see if I can supply a link.

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• It could be reynauds phenomenon, which is restricted veins in your feet so your toe doesn't get the proper blood flow to it when it's cold. Try taking L-arginine, a supplement that promotes blood flow. You can usually find it near the pharmacy where other supplements are. If your on any medications talk to your doctor first
    gr8tful 175 Replies
    • November 8, 2010
    • 05:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm 20 years old, and from northern British Columbia.For approximately 16 months now, my middle toe on my left foot has been swollen and red. My initial thoughts were that I had gotten frostbite, as this happened in the winter.I hadn't been paying much notice to it until just recently, when the pain started flaring up, and the toe reddened. The swelling is rather firm, and the skin has some sheen (perhaps from being stretched from the swelling?). There is also is a patch that is redder than the rest — looks like a blister wants to form but won't. The toe becomes itchy as well, especially so when it's warm/hot.I shall also note that my feet (and hands) tend to be cold.I've been looking around, and the closest thing to it is that I have found is "Chilblains"... so I figured I would place it in the title. Though I'm unsure really, that red patch truly makes me wonder.It won't be until over a week for when I can see my doctor and sadly, I live in a small town so a walk-in clinic is out of the question. So, I'm hoping for some feedback... perhaps others have or have had something similar to this. Perhaps it will ease my thoughts, or I may mention it to my doctor.I am not sure if we are allowed to post links... but if we are, and anyone is curious or would even like to compare, I'll see if I can supply a link.It might be a fungal infection. You might try an anti-fungal cream with TOLNAFTATE in it as the active ingredient.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 10, 2011
    • 01:53 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Your right, it's called chiblains. But the L-arginine helps.
    gr8tful 175 Replies
    • January 29, 2011
    • 10:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I will suggest you to visit Keyes For Toes website. Keyes For Toes is owned by Larry Keyes. Larry Keyes, DPM, is a board-certified podiatrist who specializes in the cosmetic and functional correction of long toes, hammertoes and corns. Dr. Keyes is an expert on the procedure he perfected over more than two decades, and he has helped thousands of women have more esthetically pleasing toes and feel good about wearing sandals.Call Dr. Larry Keyes in Oak Park, Illinois at 708-771-4300.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 21, 2011
    • 11:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • You are correct, it is chilblains.. i have the same thing
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi There, I too have had the exact same problem!!! My 3rd and 4th left toes have been like this for a year. The symptoms come and go, but lately, it has been bad. It itches especially when the toes get really hot. My doc thinks it Reyunards (spelling) syndrome, however, I don't notice the symptoms when my feet get too cold. That red blister on the bottom of toes, I get that also. Now my right foot has it. I have been putting a cortisone cream and an antipruritis cream with no effect.I am now thinking its fungus?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement