Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Lower right abdominal pain, radiates down leg

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 14 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 12, 2010
  • 07:04 PM

I've lost track of the number of Dr. visits I've had over this issue. I've had a CT scan that showed nothing. Celiac testing. Blood testing. Poked and prodded to no end. I've been told it could be anything from nerve issues to IBS to a small hernia.

So here's what I've got, maybe it'll sound familiar to someone - I'll be as specific as I can so as not to lump it into any other condition. I'm male, late 30s, in otherwise good health (no blood pressure/cholesterol issues), don't smoke but drink occasionally.

Pain in the lower right quadrant, from the pubic bone to the right pelvic bone and below, a burning sensation. Does not hurt to press on the area. The pain also travels down the leg from where the arterial canal is in the inguinal fold in a straight line to the front left of the knee. Occasionally the pain continues to the ankle, and I get an occasional warm sensation in the leg and occasionally some tingling in the foot. No back pain, flank pain, or anything else. The abdominal pain is quite persistent with slight variations in the day, but is much less in the morning and worsens as the day progresses. On a scale of 1-10, it's rarely a 0 or more than a 3, rarely a 4. Seems to worsen with alcohol (so I almost never drink anymore, and if I do, it's maybe 1 small glass of wine or 1 beer), but I haven't been able to truly pin down cause and effect with that to make a direct link - and the pain doesn't go away no matter how long I don't drink, weeks or months.

Poss related info - had bad pain 6 years ago in both r & l lower abdomen by pelvis (by where the colon is) along with bad constipation, fatigue, nausea that lasted a while and possibly a jaundiced complexion. Fatigue and complexion left after a week or so, got to dr's office with nothing but the pain and constipation. Poked & prodded, no pain, Dr. seemed to dismiss my mention of fatigue/complexion as it wasn't present at the time. Dealt with this pain and nausea for months until it has finally gone over the years with only occasional not as severe relapses, and leaving me with this right side issue.

Anyway, the constant pain leads to stress and worry, and occasionally a short bout of anxiety - type attack, but I've learned to recognize those and they pass quickly now, but until I figure this out and find a resolution, the stress, pain and worry continue.

Any thoughts or help are very welcome, especially if there are more folks out there with a similar issue.

Reply Flag this Discussion

14 Replies:

• I have the same thing on the left side. pain in left abdomen, shoots down leg, leg feels tingly and weird all the way down to the foot. i find sometimes my arm on the left gets tingly too. I also feel nauseous and have a weird taste in my mouth sometimes. also im tired alot and sometimes dizzy. and saying ALL these symptoms sounds like im crazy .. i feel like the doctor thinks i am, cuz he told me i have IBS and eat more fiber... well, ITS NOT WORKING hello.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I've lost track of the number of Dr. visits I've had over this issue. I've had a CT scan that showed nothing. Celiac testing. Blood testing. Poked and prodded to no end. I've been told it could be anything from nerve issues to IBS to a small hernia.So here's what I've got, maybe it'll sound familiar to someone - I'll be as specific as I can so as not to lump it into any other condition. I'm male, late 30s, in otherwise good health (no blood pressure/cholesterol issues), don't smoke but drink occasionally.Pain in the lower right quadrant, from the pubic bone to the right pelvic bone and below, a burning sensation. Does not hurt to press on the area. The pain also travels down the leg from where the arterial canal is in the inguinal fold in a straight line to the front left of the knee. Occasionally the pain continues to the ankle, and I get an occasional warm sensation in the leg and occasionally some tingling in the foot. No back pain, flank pain, or anything else. The abdominal pain is quite persistent with slight variations in the day, but is much less in the morning and worsens as the day progresses. On a scale of 1-10, it's rarely a 0 or more than a 3, rarely a 4. Seems to worsen with alcohol (so I almost never drink anymore, and if I do, it's maybe 1 small glass of wine or 1 beer), but I haven't been able to truly pin down cause and effect with that to make a direct link - and the pain doesn't go away no matter how long I don't drink, weeks or months.Poss related info - had bad pain 6 years ago in both r & l lower abdomen by pelvis (by where the colon is) along with bad constipation, fatigue, nausea that lasted a while and possibly a jaundiced complexion. Fatigue and complexion left after a week or so, got to dr's office with nothing but the pain and constipation. Poked & prodded, no pain, Dr. seemed to dismiss my mention of fatigue/complexion as it wasn't present at the time. Dealt with this pain and nausea for months until it has finally gone over the years with only occasional not as severe relapses, and leaving me with this right side issue.Anyway, the constant pain leads to stress and worry, and occasionally a short bout of anxiety - type attack, but I've learned to recognize those and they pass quickly now, but until I figure this out and find a resolution, the stress, pain and worry continue.Any thoughts or help are very welcome, especially if there are more folks out there with a similar issue.hello friend,ive had a pain in my lower right abdomen for about a month and a half now. as you said, i cant count the doctors ive been to with this and nobody has an answer. the pain is right at the edge of my rectus muscle, or right where the ileo/cecal valve is. i havent had any other symtoms other than pain. i had kidney stones back in february that had to be surgically removed and this pain is in the exact same spot the stones were before they were extracted. however, i have seen 2 different urologists and neither can find a stone or any other problem in my urinary tract. it seems to get worse with physical activity. we first thought it was a torn abdominal muscle but it has only got worse if anything over time....even after takin it easy for 2-3 weeks. from 1-10 the pain ranges from 2-3 to a 5 and i have a pretty big pain tolerance. ive also, as you said, have been poked and proded more than my fair share of times and no dr can find a hernia or any sort of lump. ive had a CT scan, KUB xrays, and all the blood tests with nothing showing up. one doctor i went to even injected marcain (a local anesthetic) and an anti-imflamatory into the site and that still gave me no relief. i am at the end of patients because no doctor has offered me any sort of pain relief besides ibuprofen....one actually asked me yesterday if i had tried ibuprofen! i was thinking you $%^#$ idiot! do you honestly think i would go through all this pain and not try everything over the counter i could get?! and still...after expaining that i had tried everything left the office without any sort of prescription. if anyone reading this has a familiar experience or has any thoughts as to what this mite be, please email me at benspellman07@yahoo.com. thank you
  • I've lost track of the number of Dr. visits I've had over this issue. I've had a CT scan that showed nothing. Celiac testing. Blood testing. Poked and prodded to no end. I've been told it could be anything from nerve issues to IBS to a small hernia.So here's what I've got, maybe it'll sound familiar to someone - I'll be as specific as I can so as not to lump it into any other condition. I'm male, late 30s, in otherwise good health (no blood pressure/cholesterol issues), don't smoke but drink occasionally.Pain in the lower right quadrant, from the pubic bone to the right pelvic bone and below, a burning sensation. Does not hurt to press on the area. The pain also travels down the leg from where the arterial canal is in the inguinal fold in a straight line to the front left of the knee. Occasionally the pain continues to the ankle, and I get an occasional warm sensation in the leg and occasionally some tingling in the foot. No back pain, flank pain, or anything else. The abdominal pain is quite persistent with slight variations in the day, but is much less in the morning and worsens as the day progresses. On a scale of 1-10, it's rarely a 0 or more than a 3, rarely a 4. Seems to worsen with alcohol (so I almost never drink anymore, and if I do, it's maybe 1 small glass of wine or 1 beer), but I haven't been able to truly pin down cause and effect with that to make a direct link - and the pain doesn't go away no matter how long I don't drink, weeks or months.Poss related info - had bad pain 6 years ago in both r & l lower abdomen by pelvis (by where the colon is) along with bad constipation, fatigue, nausea that lasted a while and possibly a jaundiced complexion. Fatigue and complexion left after a week or so, got to dr's office with nothing but the pain and constipation. Poked & prodded, no pain, Dr. seemed to dismiss my mention of fatigue/complexion as it wasn't present at the time. Dealt with this pain and nausea for months until it has finally gone over the years with only occasional not as severe relapses, and leaving me with this right side issue.Anyway, the constant pain leads to stress and worry, and occasionally a short bout of anxiety - type attack, but I've learned to recognize those and they pass quickly now, but until I figure this out and find a resolution, the stress, pain and worry continue.Any thoughts or help are very welcome, especially if there are more folks out there with a similar issue.I have almost similar symptom, but my abdominal pain is on the right upper abdomen, radiates down to the right leg. My doctor has done ultrasound, blood check, endoscopy, x-ray, MRI and everything come back normal. But the pain is still persist. I don't know what to do next.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 24, 2010
    • 10:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Many of these symptoms are sounding like chronic appendicitis - look it up. There have been many case-studies of abnormal presentations, especially in regards to white blood cell counts, levels and location of pain, lack of 'classic' symptoms (ie still able to eat comfortably, no abdominal rigidity or rebound tenderness). It can come in bouts years apart, lasting for weeks or even months at a time. Biggest indicators are the fatigue, malaise, and persistant abdominal pain (especially lower right quadrant) that can't be attributed to any other GI problem. Unfortunately the only real way to confirm it is with laproscopy.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 28, 2010
    • 02:55 AM
    Flag this Response
  • [I'm having the same issues as the original poster for about 2 years. I recently had double hernia surgery however the systoms have not gone away. This is extremely frustrating.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 8, 2011
    • 09:23 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am also facing the same kind of problem for around 2-3 years. First it started with a slight pain around the groin area along with some weakness and pain in the right leg. One day, my lower right abdomen started paining and on observation I was able to feel with my fingers a swollen tube like structure of around 4-5 inches located around the right hip bone. After a series of tests, intestinal TB was ruled out and they said it is appendicitis. But even after the appendicitis operation the pain still remains. Please let me know what can be the issue.
  • I have a similar problem as everyone else on this thread. For about 2 years I've had a very sharp pain in my lower right abdomen, sometimes recently accompanied by a similar sharp pain going down my right thigh - never as far as my knee, though. I've seen many doctors too, and the closest things I've come to diagnoses are: IBS, appendicitis, or (and this is my idea) a torn muscle or hernia. I had a double hernia in my lower abdomen when I was an infant, and I think those tissue linings might be weak... but why the leg pain then? This is very frustrating, sucks to know that it takes so much effort and money to get absolutely no where with so many doctors (no insurance btw).I am also facing the same kind of problem for around 2-3 years. First it started with a slight pain around the groin area along with some weakness and pain in the right leg. One day, my lower right abdomen started paining and on observation I was able to feel with my fingers a swollen tube like structure of around 4-5 inches located around the right hip bone. After a series of tests, intestinal TB was ruled out and they said it is appendicitis. But even after the appendicitis operation the pain still remains. Please let me know what can be the issue.
  • I too have been experiencing the pain you all are speaking of. I have 2 herneated discs, one of which has ruptured and the spongy stuff in the middle of the discs has leaked out and is pressing against my sciatica nerve. Until it dissapates into my system, I will have pain in my lower back, my front right abdoman, and down my right leg.Hope this helps.
  • I just found these threads after having these same issues on and off for about 6 weeks. Thanks all for posting. It's nice to know I am not the only one trying to diagnose something hard to explain. Your descriptions helped me put into words what I have been experiencing.JLMGB, I believe your original post was over a year ago, any progress or success in diagnosing?My best guess so far is sciatic nerve related.Anyone else?
    bradmatlack 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I was hospitalized a couple months ago after episode of above symptoms plus diarrhea and vomiting and fever and dehydration - at that time, lower right quad pain (where appendix would be if I still had one) and knee/leg pain were moderate. Diagnosis was dehydration from flu (even though I had flu shot).Recently, severe pain in lower right quad and knee pain occur simultaneously almost daily - but it is worse when my bowels are full and diminishes if I do all liquid diet for a day. I suspect a hernia and bowel protrusion that is pressing on obturator nerve - the pain (around 8-9) seems to coincide with full bowels and heavy meals. This is a rare hernia type, though, and usually involves vomiting and inability to defecate (not problems for me). The obturator nerve could explain the pain locations, though. The pain also transfers to thigh and calf. Prior CT showed nothing. Another possibility is adhesions from prior surgeries somehow affecting the nerve.
  • I have the same thing on the left side. pain in left abdomen, shoots down leg, leg feels tingly and weird all the way down to the foot. i find sometimes my arm on the left gets tingly too. I also feel nauseous and have a weird taste in my mouth sometimes. also im tired alot and sometimes dizzy. and saying ALL these symptoms sounds like im crazy .. i feel like the doctor thinks i am, cuz he told me i have IBS and eat more fiber... well, ITS NOT WORKING hello.[/QUOI been having same issues. I had a ct scan 3 months ago, they saw had swallow lymp nodes on abdomen. Trying to get a another ct scan again to see if it's still swallowing.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• i have shooting pains that go from my lower abdomen into the right side of my groin and halfway down my right thigh. i also have back pain and have been told that it is my iliopsoas muscles, or the hip flexors. it is partially caused by bad knee alignment problems which made my hip muscles push foreward and placed strain on the hip flexors. has anyone been to a physical therapist? this was how i got to the bottom of my problem, though it hasnt fixed it yet but i stopped doing leg lifts and lower ab excercises and i dont get the sharp pains quite as often.hope that helps!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 18, 2011
    • 04:19 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Very similar situation, I had inguinal hernia surgery a little over a year ago. All along this time I have had similar discomfort to what everyone in this forum talks about. I thought I had a hernia reoccurrence; however, my doctor diagnosed me with IBS and prescribed me with medicine for muscle spasms. The medicine works, but I also have to eat well and somehow manage to relax myself with deep breathing and exercise. I am a very active guy in my mid 30's and just recently started working out my abdominal muscles (crunches, sit-ups etc). On one of my work out days I over did some sit ups and felt an (unpainful) pop/pull inside my abs, don’t know exactly where but I would say more towards the center line of my abdominal area. My first thought was that I pop my hernia again or abdominal muscle strain. About a week later I started to feel discomfort again in my lower left abdominal area. Now I get really stressed out over the discomfort and pain which radiates down to my let. I would hate to go through another surgery therefore, I stress over it and it brings out my IBS symptoms. I highly doubt is a hernia and I am thinking is more of my IBS kicking in over my stress. Any thoughts???
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 7, 2012
    • 09:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks all for posting. I have been having the same symptoms for about 6 months now. At first the pain was on off, would have it for 30 minutes to an hour, then would disappear for a week, or a couple of days. But for the last week the pain has been constant. I have seen four doctors this week only. The first two said it was appendicitis, but said it was not severe. Ultra sound and urine/blood tests showed otherwise. Normal whiteblood cell count(cz it was low), and thr like. I was given IV drips, and antibiotics. The third doctor said the same thing, and advised me to go to the gynecologist. I did. She says it's pelvic inflammation. I've been receiving treatment, which was increased from a 3 day to a 6 day treatment, but there is no change. And now, the pain has moved to my right leg, through to thr knee, and I feel the pain more when I want to urinate. Plus I have bloating( gas in the stomach), and constipation. I'm now trying detox tea. Whatever this is, I'm worried. Can anyone out there help? The treatment from the gynecologist is not helping. I'm compelled to lie that there is improvement cz I'm tired of the IV drips. Today is the last day of treatment, but no hope.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 21, 2013
    • 04:42 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement