Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

White Spots On Back Of Throat

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 3 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 9, 2010
  • 06:27 AM

Just over a month ago I went to the doctor because I all of a sudden got these white spots on the back of my throat and it started hurting to swallow and yawn. He gave me antibiotics and took a throat swab to see if I had strep, the spots went away about a week later but it turns out the strep test came back negative. A few weeks after that (just last week) those spots came back and my throat started hurting just as badly as it did before, so I went to see the doctor again, he gave me more antibiotics and took another throat swab. The last swab came back negative as well. I am very confused by this as I have no idea what these spots are and how to make them go away or what is causing them. I switched toothbrushes, started gargling with saltwater... and the darn buggers keep coming back. I dont get a fever, just have that feeling of it being 30 degrees all the time when I have the spots and I am finding that it feels as though my throat is very dry all the time, in the mornings I cough for a good 20 minutes because it feels so darn dry. If anyone has any suggestions as to what could be causing this or how to make it stop, please let me know!!!

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• If you are referring to on your tonsils, look up tonsil stones or tonsiliths. Now if you are referring to your throat I am not sure. Sometimes persistant tonsiliths will eventually warrant your tonsils being removed or chronic infections of the tonsils in general can warrant it. Keep in mind although you may not have a bacertia infection, you can have a viral infection.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • When the doctor looked at my throat he said that it doesnt look like tonsil stones. So if it is a viral infection how the heck do I get it to stop coming back?? It doesnt appear to be contagious either as I have shared plenty of things with my husband and he doesnt get them.
  • I'm not a doctor, but this sounds like it might be thrush: https://health.google.com/health/ref/ThrushWhen the doctor looked at my throat he said that it doesnt look like tonsil stones. So if it is a viral infection how the heck do I get it to stop coming back?? It doesnt appear to be contagious either as I have shared plenty of things with my husband and he doesnt get them.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement