Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Extreme Flushing on Upper Body, Tachycardia

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 20, 2010
  • 07:35 PM

I have been seen by my primary, dermatologists, endocrinologists, allergists, and cardiologists. Thus far the only diagnosis I have is postural tachycardia (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome), which means my heart rate increases significantly when I stand (as in my body has trouble fighting the effects of gravity). Prior to the onset of my health issues, I was an active 20 year old male-exercise, etc.

The primary symptoms that I am concerned with are the extreme flushing responses I get to: concentration, talking, sun, exercise, and sometimes spontaneous. I did not used to flush as I do now. The other primary concern is my fast heart rate, which can not really be explained (when I am laying down my heart rate is in 60-70s, and when I stand it jumps to the 110-120s). I have a constant blood pressure of about 130/85, which is a bit high, but does not change much when I stand. I am also extremely tired, and doctors typically attribute this to the tachycardia (my heart is like its constantly exercising when I stand).

Thus far the doctors have ruled out mastocytosis, pheochromocytoma, carcinoid syndrome, sjorgen's syndrome, and a few other diseases that could cause these reactions. Despite negative test results, I have also trialed H1/H2 antihistamines. I have also tried 4 beta blockers: metoprolol, propranolol, carvedilol (which actually induced flushning), and nebivolol (which also induced flushing). Unfortunately, 2 of the beta blockers (above) induce a flush on my upper body, and the other 2 make me tired to the point I can not function without 15+ hours of sleep (and I feel groggy the rest of the day).

The flushing occurs on my upper body: face (a little bit), neck (a lot), chest (a lot), and shoulders (a lot). If any one has any ideas on what could cause this flushing and tachycardia, I would appreciate it. I had an exercise stress test, and it came back as a normal heart rate increase to exercise, but I also had a peak HR of 220- which is high. Thanks again for any advice.

Jacob

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement