Discussions By Condition: Medical Errors

I have been misdiagnosed twice for having herpes

Posted In: Medical Errors 20 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 15, 2010
  • 05:23 AM

it has been a very very long road to finally getting a CONFIRMED diagnosis of Fungal Infection on January 6, 2010!!! This was one of the happiest days of my life. It has really changed my outlook and the way I feel about myself. I don't have to suffer the shame of Herpes.

It all began for me in July 2003, when I was first misdiagnosed with herpes. I went to my former primary care doctor, with this "mysterious red rash." The doctor immediately said, oh you got genital herpes. She said it with such glee. She scolded me for not being careful, etc. I felt so ashamed. She took a cotton swab and wiped the rash and sent it to a lab for confirmation. It came back with both a negative and a positive. I ask her why. She said, "sometimes it takes two tests to get a positive read.
I was devastated. She tried to give me Herpes meds, i refused. My partner is clean. I went to get a second opinion. I never returned to the First Doctor I saw in 2003. The next outbreak occured in 2006. I went to a different clinic, one that specializes in std's. I thought this would be better. Of course, the doctor at this clinic, looked at the rash and said oh this looks like genital herpes....she wanted to give me meds, i refused. She did submit a sample to the lab and it too came back positive.

I still didn't think i had herpes because my partner TESTED negative for herpes and all other stds. That was my clue that i was being MISDIAGNOSED. So in 2008, i got a rash the exact same rash in the same place as always, i went back to the same doctor i saw in 2006. She took one quick look and said NO, absolutely that is NOT herpes rash. I was shocked. This is the same doctor who said I had herpes in 2006. I reminded her of the 2006 positive herpes test. she said no, not possible. you are mistaken...i would never call this rash a herpes rash. i ask her to take a culture to be absolutely certain. she refused. i argued with her and she said no, you may leave. she said go and see your primary care doctor and get a diagnosis. I was so distraught and confused that i decided to wait until the next outbreak which occured on January 6, 2010.

My primary doctor took a quick look and said, "oh nothing life-threatening, you have a fungal infection." I will prescribe a topical cream that should easily clear it up. If it returns the same cream can be applied twice per day for 14 days. The Cream is Clotrimazole and Betamethasone Dipropionate Cream USP, manufactured by Actavis.

The cream did the job in less than 14 days!!! So far no re-occurrence. I am very pleased and relieved not to live my life with herpes. Mis-Diagnosis are dangerous.

Please get a second and third opinion if necessary.

Reply Flag this Discussion

20 Replies:

• What is it with doctors and herpes?I swear, if I hear one more person report that their doctor took a passing glance at their rash/canker sores and diagnosed them with herpes— a highly stigmatized, incurable venereal disease— I don't know what I'm going to do!I've gotten this casual "diagnosis" several times, because I've suffered from canker sores since forever (which, btw, are COMPLETELY different from cold sores; honestly, it's just not that hard to tell the difference, even at a glance!). The first time I got it, it just didn't seem right, but I took the stupid pills anyway. Of course they didn't help. The doctor took back her diagnosis. Can you believe that? She was just like, "Oh, the Valtrex didn't help? Well, maybe you don't have herpes. *shrug* Never mind, I take it back."What the...?And I know exactly what you mean about the seeming glee with which they pass down this diagnosis.What is that about?By the third passing-glance, no-test herpes "diagnosis," I was like, "prove it." The tests were negative. Blood tests, biopsies, you name it, they're always negative. Okay...? So, it looks nothing like a duck, it walks nothing like a duck, and it fails the duck test. But you're telling me it's a duck?? Meanwhile, my actual problem is going undiagnosed.I mean... really?Genital herpes is the kind of diagnosis that can make a person suicidal.You'd think they'd be a little more careful about slinging it around.It's like if you have any kind of rash anywhere near your mouth or crotch, it's, "Herpes! Acyclovir! NEXT!"
    TenseBulla2 10 Replies Flag this Response
  • I just wanted to say that I'm glad I found this thread because it encouraged me to get retested . . . where I learned that I DID NOT have herpes. In February, I had sex with a good friend of mine. A few days later I noticed that I had some sores on my labia minora. I started freaking out, doing all kinds of research. I had NO symptoms, just sores and the sores were not at all painful or "oozing." I began to believe that I did in fact have herpes at which point I went to the doctor and did every freakin' test in the book, including a culture test which came out positive. Here's the thing though, I told the nurse practitioner who did my culture that I had put Vagisil on the sores and asked would that have an effect on the outcome of the culture. She said, "Ummm, I don't think so." She was wrong. IF YOU PUT VAGISIL ON YOUR "DOWNSTAIRS SORES" AND YOU GET A CULTURE TEST FOR HERPES, IT WILL COME UP POSITIVE. I did not have a single symptom of herpes, no fever or flu like feeling, no sore throat, no swollen glands/lymph nodes, no fatigue, no headaches, no anything that says, "This chick has herpes." Nonetheless, I called my friend and told him that he needed to get tested because I was pretty sure that he had given me herpes. He was irate with me, but went through with it. He called me a week later and told me that ALL of his tests were negative, including the IgG tests for herpes one and two. Not to mention he had never shown of any signs/symptoms of having herpes either. When I informed my doctor, she told me that I would have to wait at least four to six months before I would be able to retest my blood for herpes antibodies. So from February until just three days ago (now August) I've believed that I had genital herpes. It was extreme mental turmoil. I racked my brain trying to think of when I could have caught it seeing as how I was in a seven year relationship prior to sleeping with my friend (my ex and I dated from the time we were 15 until we were 22, I'm now 25.) I know my ex didn't have it because he and I had been tested together. So anyway, one week ago I decided to go to a STD clinic and get my IgG levels tested for herpes one and two. On Wednesday I got a text message telling me that my results were available. I was terrified, I had not had ANY sores appear in the six months between tests, and the sores that I did have initially disappeared literally 3 days after I went to the doctor. I had accepted the fact that I had herpes, as painful as that was-especially for someone like me who considers herself pretty cautious sexually. When I logged onto the website for the clinic, I held my breath while scrolling down to look at my results, what I saw sent me into a state of complete disbelief; the results for both herpes IgG tests were NEGATIVE. I was in shock! I was suspicious that I didn't have herpes when I had never had any outbreaks in those six months between tests, as I have heard that is one of the key signs for being certain that you do in fact have herpes. I, once again, DID NOT have any classic herpes symptoms when the sores appeared on my labia minora. I did some research and now believe I had a bacterial infection or yeast infection that DID come as a result of me sleeping with my friend since I had not slept with anyone for about two years (I told you, I'm a sexually cautious person!) and probably disturbed the chemistry "down there." PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE if you truly believe you do not have herpes, get retested. I'm will forever be grateful that I am one of the lucky few who does not have it when they were suspicious they didn't. My herpes culture was positive due to the yeast infection and the vagisil combination. For your own sanity, test again when in doubt. ~God bless~
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • What is it with doctors and herpes?I swear, if I hear one more person report that their doctor took a passing glance at their rash/canker sores and diagnosed them with herpes— a highly stigmatized, incurable venereal disease— I don't know what I'm going to do!I've gotten this casual "diagnosis" several times, because I've suffered from canker sores since forever (which, btw, are COMPLETELY different from cold sores; honestly, it's just not that hard to tell the difference, even at a glance!). The first time I got it, it just didn't seem right, but I took the stupid pills anyway. Of course they didn't help. The doctor took back her diagnosis. Can you believe that? She was just like, "Oh, the Valtrex didn't help? Well, maybe you don't have herpes. *shrug* Never mind, I take it back."What the...?And I know exactly what you mean about the seeming glee with which they pass down this diagnosis.What is that about?By the third passing-glance, no-test herpes "diagnosis," I was like, "prove it." The tests were negative. Blood tests, biopsies, you name it, they're always negative. Okay...? So, it looks nothing like a duck, it walks nothing like a duck, and it fails the duck test. But you're telling me it's a duck?? Meanwhile, my actual problem is going undiagnosed.I mean... really?Genital herpes is the kind of diagnosis that can make a person suicidal.You'd think they'd be a little more careful about slinging it around.It's like if you have any kind of rash anywhere near your mouth or crotch, it's, "Herpes! Acyclovir! NEXT!"Wow!!!! sounds the same as me, I do not see how i have herpes!!! I hope and pray that the er dr was wrong. He just looked at it and said , yep its herpes!!! I was devastated. I am going for blood work and tests from my family dr. She will make sure it is a proper diagnoses. I can trust her.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 19, 2010
    • 05:02 AM
    Flag this Response
  • it has been a very very long road to finally getting a CONFIRMED diagnosis of Fungal Infection on January 6, 2010!!! This was one of the happiest days of my life. It has really changed my outlook and the way I feel about myself. I don't have to suffer the shame of Herpes.It all began for me in July 2003, when I was first misdiagnosed with herpes. I went to my former primary care doctor, with this "mysterious red rash." The doctor immediately said, oh you got genital herpes. She said it with such glee. She scolded me for not being careful, etc. I felt so ashamed. She took a cotton swab and wiped the rash and sent it to a lab for confirmation. It came back with both a negative and a positive. I ask her why. She said, "sometimes it takes two tests to get a positive read.I was devastated. She tried to give me Herpes meds, i refused. My partner is clean. I went to get a second opinion. I never returned to the First Doctor I saw in 2003. The next outbreak occured in 2006. I went to a different clinic, one that specializes in std's. I thought this would be better. Of course, the doctor at this clinic, looked at the rash and said oh this looks like genital herpes....she wanted to give me meds, i refused. She did submit a sample to the lab and it too came back positive. I still didn't think i had herpes because my partner TESTED negative for herpes and all other stds. That was my clue that i was being MISDIAGNOSED. So in 2008, i got a rash the exact same rash in the same place as always, i went back to the same doctor i saw in 2006. She took one quick look and said NO, absolutely that is NOT herpes rash. I was shocked. This is the same doctor who said I had herpes in 2006. I reminded her of the 2006 positive herpes test. she said no, not possible. you are mistaken...i would never call this rash a herpes rash. i ask her to take a culture to be absolutely certain. she refused. i argued with her and she said no, you may leave. she said go and see your primary care doctor and get a diagnosis. I was so distraught and confused that i decided to wait until the next outbreak which occured on January 6, 2010. My primary doctor took a quick look and said, "oh nothing life-threatening, you have a fungal infection." I will prescribe a topical cream that should easily clear it up. If it returns the same cream can be applied twice per day for 14 days. The Cream is Clotrimazole and Betamethasone Dipropionate Cream USP, manufactured by Actavis.The cream did the job in less than 14 days!!! So far no re-occurrence. I am very pleased and relieved not to live my life with herpes. Mis-Diagnosis are dangerous. Please get a second and third opinion if necessary.Hi there, thankyou for this story it really helped me. I got a rash a few months ago and it didnt go away. so i went to the doctor and she automatically said i was likely to have genital herpes. However i knew this wasnt possible as both my partner and i had tested negitive to it in the past. We have only been sexual active with each other, so that also made me believe it was hardly possible. I have since been looking for cases like this on the internet where other women have been told it was hepes but believed it wasnt. I can only imagine what i had/have is a fungal infection which i now have cream to treat it with. All i can say is i would be devistated to find out i actually had it. but you give me hope when im in the same boat as you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 26, 2010
    • 03:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I was misdiagnosed as a teenager. I thought I had it for 20 years until I took a blood test to try and determine what type I had. I was negative for both types. I actually had them test me again and later went in and had a culture on what I thought was an outbreak. All the results were negative. I have some kind of occasional skin outbreak near my genitals but I have no idea what it is, all I know is that it's not Herpes. I was young when I was misdiagnosed and I took the doctors word as gospel. I never got a second opinion I just lived feeling like I was damaged goods. I was always honest with my partners and never got rejected but it weighed heavy on my self esteem because of how stigmatized it is...it's a shock and relief to learn I don't have it but it also *****s me off how doctors are so cavalier about telling someone they have Herpes, especially when they are WRONG!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 8, 2010
    • 02:41 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have just recently been diagnosed with herpes. My partner and I have sex for 8 hours striaght and then the next morning I was in severe pain. I woke up feeling as if I had a UTI and a yeast infection. Later I realized my lymphnodes in my pelvic were swollen. I immediately saw a doctor and she said I had herpes and eight million other STD's ( I've been with the same person for 8 months) she gave me valtrex and I refused to take it. I went to Wal-Mart and got Monistat 3, and it was gone in two days. I just got my results back and they said everything came back nornmal accept genital herpes was detected. I've been so sick to my stomach and Idk what to do. I'm devistated, I'm not a girl that sleeps around. What do I do?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 12, 2010
    • 02:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • For those testing positive for herpes and their partners not having it, that is normal. Herpes can only be spread during an outbreak like when children have the chicken pox. You can have it all the time, but not easily spread it depending on the circumstances. Both myself and another friend slept with people who had herpes without protection and never got it, not to say you should ever do this, but it is not always that easy to spread. My friend lived with his wife for 15 years had unprotected sex with her and had two kids and never got it. Another thing about any disease out there is that is can be taken care of by the body. If you get herpes you can have it for life, but your body, like with anything else, can fight it off and eliminate it. Not so easy for the second one, but it can happen. Most times though herpes remains dormant and comes back and stays for a few weeks and goes away. It is not life threatening and it doesn't mean you are dirty in any way. Did a lot of research on this. If you test positive twice you most likely do have it. Having it go away after another cream is used is probably not likely due to the cream, but due to the herpes just going away. It just does go away on it's own. My doctor says herpes doesn't hang out that long and anything that does is usually something else. I have a bartholin's cyst that never goes away. Had it tested many times. You are all good people and you shouldn't let anyone give you a hard time. Most people out there are pretty mature about the whole thing so not to worry.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 17, 2010
    • 09:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Im so confuse on how they can tell you that you have herpes but they barley understand it there self my Partner has been tested an nothing came back postive but my first test was negative then a year later i had sex from the fist scare when the doctor told me with a smile im 100% sure that you have herpes an test come back negative this time they said it dont look like nothing yet my test come back postive i was reading alot of yall articles an i seen sombody said they use yeast infections medcine an it mess with her results i had been taking pencillin an with any antibotics i got a yeast infection so i took medcine for it so i wonder if it mess wit my test i hope my results are wrong casue this is not nothing easily to live with like anotha article i read she got two postive an then all sudden they said she has a fugi infection they feel as though its so common now they can say you have it like its a common cold this is people lifes here
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 5, 2010
    • 07:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have also had an awful experience after having a rash. I didn't know if it was fungal or bacterial to went to a walk in GUM clinic. The Nhs said they will test anyone whether sexually transmitted or not. That was good news for me because I have been celebate for 15 years but really didn't want to be examined in that area by my GP who I know well. I wish I swallowed my pride and went to see my local doctor now. The moment I entered the clinic I was a number in their giant system. They told me they were fairly sure I had herpes and even gave me pills to take! You can imagine my distress. The last and only person I had sex with was my LATE fiancé. So that would mean he cheated on me and gave me an incurable disease! I was told to 'come back and get the results' like it was some sort of formality. After a couple of weeks ***l I went back and was told all the scrapes were negative. They said they now needed to exams me again (for the things I asked for in the first place.) Yep, it was a bacterial infection that cleared up quickly after changing to an antibacterial shower gel. A consultant who examined me the second time and sent off for the results confessed that my symptoms and rash didn't look like herpes to her. Why do the tell everyone they have herpes? QUOTE=Unregistered;247011]Im so confuse on how they can tell you that you have herpes but they barley understand it there self my Partner has been tested an nothing came back postive but my first test was negative then a year later i had sex from the fist scare when the doctor told me with a smile im 100% sure that you have herpes an test come back negative this time they said it dont look like nothing yet my test come back postive i was reading alot of yall articles an i seen sombody said they use yeast infections medcine an it mess with her results i had been taking pencillin an with any antibotics i got a yeast infection so i took medcine for it so i wonder if it mess wit my test i hope my results are wrong casue this is not nothing easily to live with like anotha article i read she got two postive an then all sudden they said she has a fugi infection they feel as though its so common now they can say you have it like its a common cold this is people lifes here
  • Should I get re-tested?I have just been diagnosed with herpes, i think it was confirmed by a culture.I've been with my boyfriend for 2 years, and this is the 4th test i've had since i've known him and only now it is showing up. I know it doesnt show if there is no outbreak, or if they don't actively check the blood for it, and I know i could of got it before i met my boyfriend because it can be dormant for a long time. When I had similar symptoms before i was told it was just a tear which i had because of a yeast infection - and i know this is a common misdiagnosis for people who actually do have herpes. And a second time with the same symptoms, nothing showed up, even on a culture.but when i went back after getting the results over the phone, the doctor (one that was new to me) said what I had looked very unusual for herpes, and that it was wierd that I had had it for so long 3-4 weeks, because it should clear up quicker.He gave me acyclovir and said if it persists to get a biopsy.It seems to me that there is no proper test for this, people can get a positive result who don't have it, and negative if they don't, there just doesn't seem to be a way to know.I know I'm probably clutching at straws, I just feel really down about it all. My boyfriend has shown no symptoms, even though we've had sex while I've had symptoms - before the diagnosis, but I dread to think that I could have given this to him. I've had more partners than him and feel so ashamedcongratulations to those who have the all-clear, it must be such a relief!
  • it has been a very very long road to finally getting a CONFIRMED diagnosis of Fungal Infection on January 6, 2010!!! This was one of the happiest days of my life. It has really changed my outlook and the way I feel about myself. I don't have to suffer the shame of Herpes.It all began for me in July 2003, when I was first misdiagnosed with herpes. I went to my former primary care doctor, with this "mysterious red rash." The doctor immediately said, oh you got genital herpes. She said it with such glee. She scolded me for not being careful, etc. I felt so ashamed. She took a cotton swab and wiped the rash and sent it to a lab for confirmation. It came back with both a negative and a positive. I ask her why. She said, "sometimes it takes two tests to get a positive read.I was devastated. She tried to give me Herpes meds, i refused. My partner is clean. I went to get a second opinion. I never returned to the First Doctor I saw in 2003. The next outbreak occured in 2006. I went to a different clinic, one that specializes in std's. I thought this would be better. Of course, the doctor at this clinic, looked at the rash and said oh this looks like genital herpes....she wanted to give me meds, i refused. She did submit a sample to the lab and it too came back positive. I still didn't think i had herpes because my partner TESTED negative for herpes and all other stds. That was my clue that i was being MISDIAGNOSED. So in 2008, i got a rash the exact same rash in the same place as always, i went back to the same doctor i saw in 2006. She took one quick look and said NO, absolutely that is NOT herpes rash. I was shocked. This is the same doctor who said I had herpes in 2006. I reminded her of the 2006 positive herpes test. she said no, not possible. you are mistaken...i would never call this rash a herpes rash. i ask her to take a culture to be absolutely certain. she refused. i argued with her and she said no, you may leave. she said go and see your primary care doctor and get a diagnosis. I was so distraught and confused that i decided to wait until the next outbreak which occured on January 6, 2010. My primary doctor took a quick look and said, "oh nothing life-threatening, you have a fungal infection." I will prescribe a topical cream that should easily clear it up. If it returns the same cream can be applied twice per day for 14 days. The Cream is Clotrimazole and Betamethasone Dipropionate Cream USP, manufactured by Actavis.The cream did the job in less than 14 days!!! So far no re-occurrence. I am very pleased and relieved not to live my life with herpes. Mis-Diagnosis are dangerous. Please get a second and third opinion if necessary.I am going through the same grueling experience. I have been living with what I thought was genital herpes for the past year. I never enter into a sexual relationship with random people and I knew my partner did not have herpes. I am on the search for answer, but I was curious to know what your symptoms were. I consistently have small red dots on the head of my penis two or three at the most, almost not visible unless looked at closely. If I'm not as clean sometimes they'll spread around my head and get red and I'll get a slight almost non-existent itching sensation, but after a day or two of washing they diminish to two or three red dots again. I've read about herpes and I don't seem to experience any of the symptoms that people with herpes go through. Even my "first outbreak" wasn't anything as described in many articles and testimonials.I just started a new relationship and things developed quickly and I had to reveal to my partner that I had something. Everything was perfect until that day and now it's falling apart and I'm on the search for answers to either salvage this relationship if possible or just continue on with my life. This is ***l and I would never want it to happen to anyone else.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I just wanted to say that I'm glad I found this thread because it encouraged me to get retested . . . where I learned that I DID NOT have herpes. In February, I had sex with a good friend of mine. A few days later I noticed that I had some sores on my labia minora. I started freaking out, doing all kinds of research. I had NO symptoms, just sores and the sores were not at all painful or "oozing." I began to believe that I did in fact have herpes at which point I went to the doctor and did every freakin' test in the book, including a culture test which came out positive. Here's the thing though, I told the nurse practitioner who did my culture that I had put Vagisil on the sores and asked would that have an effect on the outcome of the culture. She said, "Ummm, I don't think so." She was wrong. IF YOU PUT VAGISIL ON YOUR "DOWNSTAIRS SORES" AND YOU GET A CULTURE TEST FOR HERPES, IT WILL COME UP POSITIVE. I did not have a single symptom of herpes, no fever or flu like feeling, no sore throat, no swollen glands/lymph nodes, no fatigue, no headaches, no anything that says, "This chick has herpes." Nonetheless, I called my friend and told him that he needed to get tested because I was pretty sure that he had given me herpes. He was irate with me, but went through with it. He called me a week later and told me that ALL of his tests were negative, including the IgG tests for herpes one and two. Not to mention he had never shown of any signs/symptoms of having herpes either. When I informed my doctor, she told me that I would have to wait at least four to six months before I would be able to retest my blood for herpes antibodies. So from February until just three days ago (now August) I've believed that I had genital herpes. It was extreme mental turmoil. I racked my brain trying to think of when I could have caught it seeing as how I was in a seven year relationship prior to sleeping with my friend (my ex and I dated from the time we were 15 until we were 22, I'm now 25.) I know my ex didn't have it because he and I had been tested together. So anyway, one week ago I decided to go to a STD clinic and get my IgG levels tested for herpes one and two. On Wednesday I got a text message telling me that my results were available. I was terrified, I had not had ANY sores appear in the six months between tests, and the sores that I did have initially disappeared literally 3 days after I went to the doctor. I had accepted the fact that I had herpes, as painful as that was-especially for someone like me who considers herself pretty cautious sexually. When I logged onto the website for the clinic, I held my breath while scrolling down to look at my results, what I saw sent me into a state of complete disbelief; the results for both herpes IgG tests were NEGATIVE. I was in shock! I was suspicious that I didn't have herpes when I had never had any outbreaks in those six months between tests, as I have heard that is one of the key signs for being certain that you do in fact have herpes. I, once again, DID NOT have any classic herpes symptoms when the sores appeared on my labia minora. I did some research and now believe I had a bacterial infection or yeast infection that DID come as a result of me sleeping with my friend since I had not slept with anyone for about two years (I told you, I'm a sexually cautious person!) and probably disturbed the chemistry "down there." PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE if you truly believe you do not have herpes, get retested. I'm will forever be grateful that I am one of the lucky few who does not have it when they were suspicious they didn't. My herpes culture was positive due to the yeast infection and the vagisil combination. For your own sanity, test again when in doubt. ~God bless~========================I am 28 yrs old I have only had two sexual partners in my life one from the age of 18- 23 then I went about 4 yrs without even holding hands with a guy. Then I slept with a friend of mine which we had been friend for a couple of years now and he is definitely more sexually active then I am but gets tested 1-2 times a year. His last test was done one month before we slept together and all his test came clear.One drunken night we had anal sex (my 1st time) we were completely careless (for which I am ashamed) but we used no condom and no lubricant. The next day by **m was in pain but I figured it was normal. A few days later I got a rash...I went into a CVS Minute Clinic and the nurse there told me it was like a fungus gave me some vagisil cream and sent me on my way....me being paranoid because this had never happened before went straight to the ER. The Dr there saw and told me it was fungus as well and was about to walk out the door when he stopped and asked me if i had recently had unprotected sex...which I confirmed and told him about my crazy night....immediately he diagnosed me with gonohrea and walked out of the room just to come back minutes later to tell me it was actually not gonohrea but probably herpes....I started crying....I explained to him I had only had 2 sexual partners ever and all that jazz....he said well lets get u tested and started with meds just in case....and so I went home devasted. I didnt eat in 3 days because I couldn't think about anything else...When the Dr called me he said u are negative for gonohrea & chlamydia but positive for genital herpes I am sorry you are going through this you should follow up with your Dr....click! I was sobbing he just told me I had an infection I was going to live with the rest of my life and didnt give me 2 seconds to even try to digest it....I decided to go get tested again somewhere else...This doctor asked me about my symptoms I told her it was painful to sit and stand up....but otherwise I had no headaches or nausea or pain going to the bathroom...no flu....no yellow substance...no nothing except for a rash that I thought was caused because the rubbing skin against skin with no lube had made my skin raw and I made it worse by just not paying any attn to it....she even though my rash was pretty much gone she looked at it and said it looked nothing like herpes at all and the my symptoms were not herpes symptoms and that she could whole heartedly tell me she did not think it was herpes....I was soooo excited....but I still wanted to get tested...(i didnt mention the culture because my insurance was not active when I had the culture done and I didnt want this to register as a pre existing condition.) She prescribed me a cream and told me to go back in two weeks and I could get tested then....This was today...I have to return the 28th.I honestly dont think I have herpes I dont have any of the symptoms and it doesnt itch or anything.....my friend tested negative on all his tests....and when I went to the ER I had already applied vagisil....and one of you guys mentioned that vagisil make you culture exam come back positive.....SO I AM HOPING TO GOD THAT IS MY SITUATION AS WELL.....PLEASE PRAY FOR ME...ILL KEEP YOU GUYS POSTED ONCE I GET MY TESTS RE-DONE.......THANK YOU!!!
  • I just wanted to say that I'm glad I found this thread because it encouraged me to get retested . . . where I learned that I DID NOT have herpes. In February, I had sex with a good friend of mine. A few days later I noticed that I had some sores on my labia minora. I started freaking out, doing all kinds of research. I had NO symptoms, just sores and the sores were not at all painful or "oozing." I began to believe that I did in fact have herpes at which point I went to the doctor and did every freakin' test in the book, including a culture test which came out positive. Here's the thing though, I told the nurse practitioner who did my culture that I had put Vagisil on the sores and asked would that have an effect on the outcome of the culture. She said, "Ummm, I don't think so." She was wrong. IF YOU PUT VAGISIL ON YOUR "DOWNSTAIRS SORES" AND YOU GET A CULTURE TEST FOR HERPES, IT WILL COME UP POSITIVE. I did not have a single symptom of herpes, no fever or flu like feeling, no sore throat, no swollen glands/lymph nodes, no fatigue, no headaches, no anything that says, "This chick has herpes." Nonetheless, I called my friend and told him that he needed to get tested because I was pretty sure that he had given me herpes. He was irate with me, but went through with it. He called me a week later and told me that ALL of his tests were negative, including the IgG tests for herpes one and two. Not to mention he had never shown of any signs/symptoms of having herpes either. When I informed my doctor, she told me that I would have to wait at least four to six months before I would be able to retest my blood for herpes antibodies. So from February until just three days ago (now August) I've believed that I had genital herpes. It was extreme mental turmoil. I racked my brain trying to think of when I could have caught it seeing as how I was in a seven year relationship prior to sleeping with my friend (my ex and I dated from the time we were 15 until we were 22, I'm now 25.) I know my ex didn't have it because he and I had been tested together. So anyway, one week ago I decided to go to a STD clinic and get my IgG levels tested for herpes one and two. On Wednesday I got a text message telling me that my results were available. I was terrified, I had not had ANY sores appear in the six months between tests, and the sores that I did have initially disappeared literally 3 days after I went to the doctor. I had accepted the fact that I had herpes, as painful as that was-especially for someone like me who considers herself pretty cautious sexually. When I logged onto the website for the clinic, I held my breath while scrolling down to look at my results, what I saw sent me into a state of complete disbelief; the results for both herpes IgG tests were NEGATIVE. I was in shock! I was suspicious that I didn't have herpes when I had never had any outbreaks in those six months between tests, as I have heard that is one of the key signs for being certain that you do in fact have herpes. I, once again, DID NOT have any classic herpes symptoms when the sores appeared on my labia minora. I did some research and now believe I had a bacterial infection or yeast infection that DID come as a result of me sleeping with my friend since I had not slept with anyone for about two years (I told you, I'm a sexually cautious person!) and probably disturbed the chemistry "down there." PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE if you truly believe you do not have herpes, get retested. I'm will forever be grateful that I am one of the lucky few who does not have it when they were suspicious they didn't. My herpes culture was positive due to the yeast infection and the vagisil combination. For your own sanity, test again when in doubt. ~God bless~Hello, I was replying to post #3 sorry I've never posted to this so I'm not sure I am doing it right...Anyways I've been dating a guy since January of this year. I was tested before him (culture-negative), during him (blood-negative), but now my test came back positive from a culture. I have not been with anyone else and he says he has not either. He's been tested and none of his previous partners or him have had any symptoms or positive test results thus far. I have had some reoccurring yeast infections due to the type of B.C. I'm on (seasonique) and I have had one bladder infection in the past. I visited him a few weeks ago because he lives in a different state. We worked out and I had showered but he had not when we had sex. We had sex again that night and it was very sweaty (sorry for the details) buuuuuut I a few days later I showed signs of a yeast infection and bladder infection (I've had some before so I am very familiar with the symptoms) I used vagisil for the yeast due to the yeast infection. I few pimple like sores came up...not blister like at all. I went to the health department and she was sure it wasn't herpes by looking at it but did a culture to be sure. The culture came back positive. I am in complete shock!!! The sores went away after a couple days, I had been on yeast infection meds and bladder infection meds for a day before the doctor. I am waiting on blood test results. I am just hoping my case is like yours and my test came back positive because of the use of vagisil, yeast infection, and bladder infection. Does this sound like your experience?!!! Thanks!...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 15, 2011
    • 08:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank God I found this thread, I was just released from the ER with this diagnosses, I cant fathom how it could be true. I had what I thought was a razor burn 2 days ago and got kinda freaked out when it got swollen around the folical I googled everything I could think of to see what it might be, nothing matched until I found a picture of Folliculitis I had 4 bumps with distinct dimples in them on my inner thigh. Today I noticed a few more in the same area but on the labia, I decided to get it checked @ the hospital even though the first 4 were already deflated for lack of a better word. I expected to be told I had infected folicals or something along those lines but not herpes. The first nurse came in and looked at it and said " Those little bumps? Its probably your folicals." The next nurse comes in and says in seconds "Its Herpes." I broke down sobbing, devestated, begging is there anything else it could be? She said "it could be lots of things, but it looks like herpes. We're going to put you on Valtrex, if that does not clear it up see your doctor." I was hysterical, crying saying I'm divorced I have'nt had sex since Feb, How? She just said it normally happens right away but in some rare people it can take up to six months and left the room. I read the list of symptoms and I dont have any of them, no pain raidiating through my legs, or swollen glands, or flu like feeling, I dont feel any pain unless I rub the bumps and then it feels raw like razor burn. No one did any kind of test or swabed it just a half second glance and it was herpes! I'm most defintly getting a second oppinion before I believe it and before I tear my ex husband a new one for no reason, as infedelity was not at all the reason we divorced.
  • Wow! This is certainly eye-opening. I've had the same problem with my primary doctor, he didn't even look at my lip when I asked him about it, yet his diagnosis was herpes and "You can't get rid of it" -_- It's really heartbreaking when you hear that. He didn't even offer me any sort of product or anything to say "This will help with your herpes blah blah". I posted a thread in regards to my complaint but it hasn't showed up yet >.I'll be seeking a second opinion for sure! I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has had this trouble with doctors!!Thank you for this message!
    Jessi_ 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello Jessi,I had to respond to your post. I also was diagnoised with the same herpes treatment wrongly and am now finally waiting for a biospy of the vulvar lesion that hasn't healed after 2 months. I wanted to ask you what your ethnic origns are? If you are of Middle Eastern, Asian descent, there is a disease that is rare that would be relevant to your symptoms. It's normal for doctors to say, "it's herpes!" because there are so many variants of herpes to rule out. And if one looks at vulvar lesions, most of the lesions are herpes in nature. And your age is also a factor. The condition that I am also suggesting is still very rare so before I mention it.. I need to know if your race is within those guidelines. I also would suggest to stay with the best doctor you can afford and stick with him. Best wishes towards your best recovery.
    laila101 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • This also happened to me. I was first diagnosed in November of 2007. I had what felt like sores on my inner labia. It was very painful but they were just red raised bumps from what I could see. I went to the ER because I was not in my hometown. The docter took one look and said "Yup, you've got herpes". I couldnt stop crying. I was 18 years old and had never had an STD before this, and now I had something that I would have for life! The doctor took no blood or swab cultures. I did not have another "outbreak" until 1 year later.Thinking automatically that it was a herpes outbreak, I was prescribed Valtrex no questions asked. I can not tell you how awful it was having to have the "I have herpes" conversation with people I was interested in. I kept hearing about herpes misdiagnosis, and I was wondering because of the lack of tests, outbreaks and spreading, that maybe I too had been misdiagnosed. Sure enough, in January of 2011, I was retested and I was told that I had a bad case of folliculitis (infected ingrown hairs) friggin A! 3 years of thinking that I had an incurable venarial disease. It was kind of surreal for the first 6 months, but a relief at the same time. I just celebrated my 1 year wedding anniversary. About 6 months ago, I had pain and redness right next to the opening of my vagina. I was having deja vu. I went to my PCM and she looked at it and told me that it was just a tear from having sex. PHEW! She did a culture just to make me feel better and sure enough it was negative! It is awful how this happens. It is not a minor diagnosis. If you feel that you may have been misdiagnosed, stop stressing and dont wait. Go get tested again. Congratulations to all of you who have also found out that you were misdiagnosed and I hope that you can get the time back that you lost while you were under the impression that you had Herpes, and good luck to those of you that are speculating and getting retested.
    MrsMartinez0709 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am so sorry that you all have gone through this but I'm a little releived. I have been going through the worst week of my life. This past Friday my doc told me I had hsv-2. I literally broke down in tears. I've been with my husband for 3 years now. We have a 15 month old and I'm pregnant with our second. I was tested for everything when I became pregnant with my daughter and everything was fine and negative. So when I heard my doc say those words, I automatically assumed my husband cheated. Well when he heard he immediately went and got tested. His results came back today and he is negative. So my doc asked me to come back in to be retested. I have no idea why I showed up positive. I know I have been faithful, but my concern is what if it comes up positive again. And why have I had absolutely no symptoms. I mean nothing that would make me believe the results. And what is this going to do to my marriage is he thinking I cheated? How can it be positive without having any sexual contact with anyone except my husband who is negative?
    BeyondConfused 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Its somewhat comforting to know that people have been misdiagnosed. To share my story- today I get a call from PP informing me that all my results from my Pap were neg except for the Herpes test. She stated test came back pos. I was absolutely devastated! However, I keep playing in my mind how, why I ask this is becausei do not have health ins and I was long over due for a pap 3 weeks ago a clinic told me if I come to the STD clinic and get tested they will schedule a Pap for me for free so I did; I go get tested and apparently they did not offer the pap free but only the STD testing so I go ahead and do it and they told me results will be back in 1-2 weeks...and no news is good news and if I get a call there's a concern. Well its been 3 weeks and I assume results are pos. I go to PP and get a Pap done (completely different clinic from the 1st one I went too) on Tuesday and today they call me and tell me I have herpes! I was devastated and in shock...- have had the same partner for 8 mts now and even if- just 3 wks ago I had STD testing and everything came bak pos how 3 wks later I get tested and come up pos for herpes, not to mention I have no symptoms, lesions blisters pain nothing at all! I'm in complete disbeleif! So not I will be going to another clinic to get retested for herpes because I truly. In my heart I have been misdiagnosed. Another fact- when I got my pap the dr said I had traces of BV and had blood building up and ask if I'm due for my period I told him yes on the 15th he says well its early- the nurse asked if he was gonna continue dr said yes she not to heavy so we shld be fine, he also went on and said that sometimes a period can alter the cultures. So I am just all over the place and devastated cause now I have to deal with the fact that I received those new of me having herpes and gotta go and get retested to be absolutely sure!! Any suggestions??
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 15, 2012
    • 09:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Oh my freaking God I'm sorry this happened to all of you but at the same time I'm relieved others have experienced this. I got a swollen penis followed by a sore near the tip when I was 19 and BEFORE I had ever had unprotected sex. I figured the 1st girl who ever gave me head must have had herpes and didn't tell me. And I was just going to be screwed for life. I went to USC and passed up SO many sexual opportunities because I didn't want to expose anyone to herpes. 13 yrs later, "bacteria".
    Anonymous 1 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement