Discussions By Condition: Medical Errors

I have been misdiagnosed twice for having herpes

Posted In: Medical Errors 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 15, 2010
  • 05:23 AM

it has been a very very long road to finally getting a CONFIRMED diagnosis of Fungal Infection on January 6, 2010!!! This was one of the happiest days of my life. It has really changed my outlook and the way I feel about myself. I don't have to suffer the shame of Herpes.

It all began for me in July 2003, when I was first misdiagnosed with herpes. I went to my former primary care doctor, with this "mysterious red rash." The doctor immediately said, oh you got genital herpes. She said it with such glee. She scolded me for not being careful, etc. I felt so ashamed. She took a cotton swab and wiped the rash and sent it to a lab for confirmation. It came back with both a negative and a positive. I ask her why. She said, "sometimes it takes two tests to get a positive read.
I was devastated. She tried to give me Herpes meds, i refused. My partner is clean. I went to get a second opinion. I never returned to the First Doctor I saw in 2003. The next outbreak occured in 2006. I went to a different clinic, one that specializes in std's. I thought this would be better. Of course, the doctor at this clinic, looked at the rash and said oh this looks like genital herpes....she wanted to give me meds, i refused. She did submit a sample to the lab and it too came back positive.

I still didn't think i had herpes because my partner TESTED negative for herpes and all other stds. That was my clue that i was being MISDIAGNOSED. So in 2008, i got a rash the exact same rash in the same place as always, i went back to the same doctor i saw in 2006. She took one quick look and said NO, absolutely that is NOT herpes rash. I was shocked. This is the same doctor who said I had herpes in 2006. I reminded her of the 2006 positive herpes test. she said no, not possible. you are mistaken...i would never call this rash a herpes rash. i ask her to take a culture to be absolutely certain. she refused. i argued with her and she said no, you may leave. she said go and see your primary care doctor and get a diagnosis. I was so distraught and confused that i decided to wait until the next outbreak which occured on January 6, 2010.

My primary doctor took a quick look and said, "oh nothing life-threatening, you have a fungal infection." I will prescribe a topical cream that should easily clear it up. If it returns the same cream can be applied twice per day for 14 days. The Cream is Clotrimazole and Betamethasone Dipropionate Cream USP, manufactured by Actavis.

The cream did the job in less than 14 days!!! So far no re-occurrence. I am very pleased and relieved not to live my life with herpes. Mis-Diagnosis are dangerous.

Please get a second and third opinion if necessary.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement