Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Swollen Lymph Nodes, Blurred Vision, Constant Pain - PLZ HELP MY MOM!

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 21 Replies
  • Posted By: saving linda
  • March 12, 2010
  • 01:41 PM

My mom is 55 years old.

Symptoms since December 2009:
Fatigue
Pins and needles felling down the back of both legs. (sitting is the worst, laying better but never goes away)
Hot water feels like the skin is coming off - cold water is fine
Weakness
Dizziness
Weight loss 20+ lbs in 3 months
Joint pain
Generalized Adenopathy (lymph node inflammation)
Headache
Blurred Vision within the last week (most when looking at small print)
Nausea
Low sodium levels
Orthostatic hypotension (resolved w/treatment)

Tests:
MRI negative
CT showed the adenopathy
Lumbar puncture negative
EMG neagative
Biopsy of axillary lymph nodes - negative for lymphoma

Medications:
Neurotin
percocet
gabapentin
sodium tablets

Ruled Out:
Lupus
Pitulitary tumor

Nothing makes it better. She was in the hospital for a week and a half and is getting progressively worse. They sent her home with no diagnosis (except DEPRESSION!). Could she have an infection from a sick animal or some rare thing?

Please help my MOM.

Reply Flag this Discussion

21 Replies:

• Where are you from? Did Your mother travel somewhere for the last time?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Have your mother any animals?If she has cat could be cat scratch disease, caused by bacteria Afipia felis ...
  • Did doctors exclude sarcoidosis?
  • My mom is 55 years old. Symptoms since December 2009: FatiguePins and needles felling down the back of both legs. (sitting is the worst, laying better but never goes away)Hot water feels like the skin is coming off - cold water is fineWeaknessDizzinessWeight loss 20+ lbs in 3 monthsJoint painGeneralized Adenopathy (lymph node inflammation)HeadacheBlurred Vision within the last week (most when looking at small print)NauseaLow sodium levelsOrthostatic hypotension (resolved w/treatment) Tests: MRI negativeCT showed the adenopathyLumbar puncture negativeEMG neagativeBiopsy of axillary lymph nodes - negative for lymphoma Medications: Neurotinpercocetgabapentinsodium tablets Ruled Out:LupusPitulitary tumor Nothing makes it better. She was in the hospital for a week and a half and is getting progressively worse. They sent her home with no diagnosis (except DEPRESSION!). Could she have an infection from a sick animal or some rare thing? Please help my MOM. I have no idea what's wrong with your Mom, but if I had swollen anything, WHILE I was pursuing a diagnosis, I would also take every anti-oxidant and herbal pathogen killer known to man, as well as using DMSO externally to take down swelling (as it causes tissue hypoxia). Pain is due to lack of oxygen to tissues in which blood can't flow properly due to inflammation. So for instance, *I* would take 2000mg C as mineral ascorbates (not acidic), 1000mg E (mixed tocopherols), 200mg CoQ10, 100 mg alpha lipoic acid, 9.6 gram omega-3, 1 pill selenium, 1 pill oil of oregano (maybe even 1 per meal), 1 pill astralagus, 1 pill echinea, 1 gram olive leaf extract, 1 garlic pill, 1 grape seed extract pill, and I would stop at a health food store to consult if there are others I might take as well. I would also make sure I had acidic urine (litmus, self test) and if not I would take steps to make sure I do (such as getting my vitamin D level tested: blood test; taking enough D, calcium, magnesium, apple cider vinegar in water) and making sure to eat enough vegetables for potassium. (You eat alkaline things to acidify your urine and alkalize your blood, but if you don't have enough D, it won't do any good). These are just general health things. Or you can look on the internet for things that inhibit inflammatory cytokines (such as omega-3's and olive leaf extract) and come up with a game plan. Basically you want to kill pathogens, neutralize oxidants, correct ph, and inhibit inflammatory cytokines, and make up your own strategy to do so. Joint pain is probably osteoarthritis and can usually be helped with SAMe. It takes B vitamins to make SAMe or you can buy it.
    madanthony 1,087 Replies Flag this Response
  • My mom is 55 years old. Symptoms since December 2009: FatiguePins and needles felling down the back of both legs. (sitting is the worst, laying better but never goes away)Hot water feels like the skin is coming off - cold water is fineWeaknessDizzinessWeight loss 20+ lbs in 3 monthsJoint painGeneralized Adenopathy (lymph node inflammation)HeadacheBlurred Vision within the last week (most when looking at small print)NauseaLow sodium levelsOrthostatic hypotension (resolved w/treatment) Tests: MRI negativeCT showed the adenopathyLumbar puncture negativeEMG neagativeBiopsy of axillary lymph nodes - negative for lymphoma Medications: Neurotinpercocetgabapentinsodium tablets Ruled Out:LupusPitulitary tumor Nothing makes it better. She was in the hospital for a week and a half and is getting progressively worse. They sent her home with no diagnosis (except DEPRESSION!). Could she have an infection from a sick animal or some rare thing? Please help my MOM. For the neurological symptoms (pins and needles, dizziness) and even fatigue, headache, and joint pain, you might check into the B12 blog at this website.
  • You might look into Hughes Syndrome. Good Luck!
  • They ruled that out.
    saving linda 9 Replies Flag this Response
  • Where are you from? Did Your mother travel somewhere for the last time? Nowe live in arizona. The only thing is that she did have a dog that had valley fever at the same time she got "whooping Cough". I thought it might be Brucellosis. No doctor will listen to me. they all think I am from MARS or something. She did touch a nasty cat before her symptoms started. But now they have released her from the hospital, but she can not drink water, if she does she can not pee. So I do not know. Frustrated, Wendy
  • YES!!!! It is brucellosis !!! Antibiotics such as Rifampicin and Doxycycline should take ...
  • YES!!!! It is brucellosis !!! Antibiotics such as Rifampicin and Doxycycline should take ...That is what I said, so how do you get a doctor to test for that when they think you are crazy??
  • YES!!!! It is brucellosis !!! Antibiotics such as Rifampicin and Doxycycline should take ... How can I test her for this without a doctor? None of her white cells counts are up so do not think that is the case.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• this to court .... If they were not doing serological tests .... serologic tests would confirm brucellosis
  • She lives in Phx Arizona and no, she hasn't been traveling. Where are you from? Did Your mother travel somewhere for the last time?
  • They ruled that out.They rules out B12 as the cause of teh neurological symptoms on the basis of what? A blood test? That is insufficient. Unless a urinary MMA was done nd a homocysteine test you cannot rule it out. And many people with these symptoms have been helped with active B12 (NOT cyanocobalamine or hydroxycobalamine) even when they tested as getting sufficient B12 (something to do with prior deficit causing cellular deficit). I know you are stuck on this being some sort of infection, but you would be surprised at how much you can achieve my treating the underlying symptoms. For instance, if it IS an infection, your immune system uses hydrogen peroxide to fight it and your body needs antioxidants to protect itself from the H2O2 ricocheting around and destroying healthy tissue. Then if she is low on antioxidants as a result, it causes other problems in other parts of the body away from the original assault. The body uses methyls to turn on and off reactions...maybe it uses up all it's methyls turning on defense mechanisms and now she doesn't have enough methyls to make SAMe and the result is osteoarthritis and joint pain. I don't think you realise how important having super nutrition is to meet a challenge, to fight a war against whatever s really wrong. I've even beat sepsis with oil of oregano for example. IMHO the worst thing you can do is nothing.
  • They rules out B12 as the cause of teh neurological symptoms on the basis of what? A blood test? That is insufficient. Unless a urinary MMA was done nd a homocysteine test you cannot rule it out. And many people with these symptoms have been helped with active B12 (NOT cyanocobalamine or hydroxycobalamine) even when they tested as getting sufficient B12 (something to do with prior deficit causing cellular deficit). I know you are stuck on this being some sort of infection, but you would be surprised at how much you can achieve my treating the underlying symptoms. For instance, if it IS an infection, your immune system uses hydrogen peroxide to fight it and your body needs antioxidants to protect itself from the H2O2 ricocheting around and destroying healthy tissue. Then if she is low on antioxidants as a result, it causes other problems in other parts of the body away from the original assault. The body uses methyls to turn on and off reactions...maybe it uses up all it's methyls turning on defense mechanisms and now she doesn't have enough methyls to make SAMe and the result is osteoarthritis and joint pain. I don't think you realise how important having super nutrition is to meet a challenge, to fight a war against whatever s really wrong. I've even beat sepsis with oil of oregano for example. IMHO the worst thing you can do is nothing. Interesting ... thanks for info
  • Yes. They cannot find any sign of a malignancy. Did doctors exclude sarcoidosis?
  • She didn't travel anywhere, and she's from AZ. Where are you from? Did Your mother travel somewhere for the last time?
  • My mom is 55 years old. Symptoms since December 2009: FatiguePins and needles felling down the back of both legs. (sitting is the worst, laying better but never goes away)Hot water feels like the skin is coming off - cold water is fineWeaknessDizzinessWeight loss 20+ lbs in 3 monthsJoint painGeneralized Adenopathy (lymph node inflammation)HeadacheBlurred Vision within the last week (most when looking at small print)NauseaLow sodium levelsOrthostatic hypotension (resolved w/treatment) Tests: MRI negativeCT showed the adenopathyLumbar puncture negativeEMG neagativeBiopsy of axillary lymph nodes - negative for lymphoma Medications: Neurotinpercocetgabapentinsodium tablets Ruled Out:LupusPitulitary tumor Nothing makes it better. She was in the hospital for a week and a half and is getting progressively worse. They sent her home with no diagnosis (except DEPRESSION!). Could she have an infection from a sick animal or some rare thing? Please help my MOM.I thought of you last night as I was drifting off to sleeep (that is the time when my inconscious mind tells me the threads I left untied...the things I overlooked or left incomplete). It just came to me out of the blue that I thought your Mom is going into menopause but I did neglected to say so. Hormones bandaide a lot of health problems that are uncovered when the hormones wane. Actually most of the symptoms on this list are symptoms suffered by people with methyl and Kreb cycle issues which become evident without a hormonal assist. The major deficiency is one of B vitamins, which affects both of these metabolic cycles. The two symptoms which are a bit excessive for this are the weight loss and the swollen lymph nodes, but these are also possibly tied to menopause. But losing 20 pounds in a few months at menopause is not that unusual because estrogen helps you absorb copper and a copper deficiency causes weight loss. (This can only be detected by a hair analysis -- serum copper levels are an indication of inflammation, not copper status, since copper is scavanged from other critical areas to supply the blood in many cases (from infection to laxative use) since copper is toxic and kills pathogens). I don't have a good story on the swollen lymph nodes except that she many have been battling a low grade infection and winning with her hormonal help and now w/o the help she is losing. the infection could be any source, even from pyrhea (or it could be something from an animal as you suspect). The adrenal problem is common in b vitamin deficiency as deficiencies of the b vitamins cause the adrenal gland to have to work hard to signal the need to break down more and more glycogen since the Kreb cycle won't work w/o B vitamins and the body will be in an energy deficit then as it will have to ferment glucose aanaerobically (producing far less energy than the aerobic Kreb cycle). If it were me I would look into bioidentical replacement hormones. These will only improve the problem because doctors won't give a high enough dose to get rid of underlying nutritional deficiencies in fear of cancer. Also, infections, once they get a hold, do not yield easily. I would still do the massive amounts of anti-oxidants (with care, I am not saying overdose, but only saying take the maximum dose that is safe). But more importantly, I would go to the B12 bulletin board here, read the first email by the nurse who wrote the book, enter an email to ask for help, and they will direct you to which posts to read to get started. This bulletin board is all about b12, which may actually have some anti-inflammatory properties but is certainly involved in every case of neurological symptoms such as some of those your Mom suffers. But their "support nutrients" in their protocol are the rest of the B vitamins needed for the Kreb and methyl cycles (so everything is covered). Has her blood sugar been checked, BTW? Blurred vision is also a symptom of diabetes, which has been linked to post menopause and post andropause. So now I have discharged my duty and mentioned to you all the things that occurred to me when I read about your Mom. I hope it helps.
  • Update: We took her to Mayo tonight because her blood pressure was so low. We couldn't keep her there because of her insurance, so we took her to another hospital. She is severely dehydrated though she is drinking lots of fluids. She is storing fluids BUT not where she should be storing them. We thank everyone who has taken the time to respond. We can't get the doctors to run tests for parasites so that still is a possibility. Any other ideas would be appreciated!!!!!!! We are very worried. My mom is 55 years old. Symptoms since December 2009: FatiguePins and needles felling down the back of both legs. (sitting is the worst, laying better but never goes away)Hot water feels like the skin is coming off - cold water is fineWeaknessDizzinessWeight loss 20+ lbs in 3 monthsJoint painGeneralized Adenopathy (lymph node inflammation)HeadacheBlurred Vision within the last week (most when looking at small print)NauseaLow sodium levelsOrthostatic hypotension Tests: MRI negativeCT showed the adenopathyLumbar puncture negativeEMG neagativeBiopsy of axillary lymph nodes - negative for lymphoma Medications: Neurotinpercocetgabapentinsodium tablets Ruled Out:LupusPitulitary tumor Nothing makes it better. She was in the hospital for a week and a half and is getting progressively worse. They sent her home with no diagnosis (except DEPRESSION!). Could she have an infection from a sick animal or some rare thing? Please help my MOM.
  • How's it going?
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement