Discussions By Condition: Hand conditions

Hand nerve damage temporary?

Posted In: Hand conditions 23 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 9, 2007
  • 06:16 AM

About 6-8 months ago, I was hit in the back of my right hand with a large sharp rock, the cut wasn't too deep and it was in the dead center of the back of my hand. (Right near the tendent for the middle finger) at the time my pinkey finger and a section inbetween my ring and middle finger went numb, that lasted about a week or so. Anyways it is 8 months now and the hand is mostly recovered, however the scar from the cut still makes my finger feel tingly when touched. It also occasionally creates a "funny-bone-like" feeling rarely in my middle finger. If I press on it or rub it, it becomes numb.

My question is does anyone know anything about this, it is obviously minor nerve damage, I am wondering if it is permenant or will it go away in all due time and become back to normal?

Reply Flag this Discussion

23 Replies:

• Hi: I think I cut the nerve in my palm in the same place you are talking about. I had a candleholder in my left hand/palm and was digging out wax with a steak knife. The candle holder broke and I actually stabbed myself in my own hand. Luckily, I did not charge myself with assault. The stab wound stopped bleeding and I had an annoying sensation of big chunks of my fingertips missing. It was driving me nuts. My doctor explained that if a nerve is not severed, it heals just like the rest of the body. He said the healing process starts when the nerve makes a new outer sheath that is gritty. (I could actually feel the gritty part). I was imaptient but I waited and the whole process took about six months, but the gritty sensation went away and I got the feeling back in my fingertips!!! I was left with only a scar.I hope that helps!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 20, 2007
    • 10:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • wow i cut the crap out of my index finger right at the first bend on the inside of my hand,i got 3 stitches ''no big deal'' on the 7th day i took out the stitches,it was a little 2 soon anyways its about 2 and a half weeks later and i have the same numbness ''real numb'' in the top of my index finger and some times i get this real intense burning pain i am wondering if it will totaly go back 2 normal after a wile? like the guy above
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I stabbed myself in the right index finger between the 2 finger joints on the side closest to the thumb. I could not get to medical care until the injury was 7 hours old. At the emergency room they cleaned it and put a sterry strip on it. Today is 6 days since the injury and I have removed the bandaid and the stab is about 1/8th inch. When the injury happened, I knew I had at least hit the nerve by the explosive pain and burning sensation. Since then, I have had numbness on the side and tip of my finger for about1 1/2 inches from the tip. Also, I'm not able to completely close the index finger in a grasp.Went to my PCM and she told me I should regain some sensation but I would have to live with it at this time. So far I've gained some sensation back in the very tip of the finger but I'm concerned about the rest of the numb area. Should I be. Any recommendations?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 11, 2009
    • 03:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • ive damaged my sholder and have nerve damage it it normal for your skin to dry in one hand?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 15, 2009
    • 00:43 AM
    Flag this Response
  • um, alright, i stabbed my hand while i was cutting brownies. the two edged knife straight into the palm of my hand cutting 2 tendons and the nerves. this happened 2 1/2 yrs ago. i have had 3 surgeries and 2 years of extensive therapy. i still have absolutely NO feeling. doc says this is as good as it gets. so, to all of you, once the nerve is severed, i'm pretty sure you never get the feeling back. good luck though. it sucks!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 14, 2010
    • 02:21 AM
    Flag this Response
  • The nerve could have been partially cut at the time or may simply be trapped in the scar. This is called a neuroma (scar of nerve tissue) which can be irritable. If it bothers you, seek a hand surgeon for the possibility of a corticosteroid injection which may help, and barring this, the nerve can be neurolysed (released out of scar) or grafted with a tube or another nerve to prevent the irritability.About 6-8 months ago, I was hit in the back of my right hand with a large sharp rock, the cut wasn't too deep and it was in the dead center of the back of my hand. (Right near the tendent for the middle finger) at the time my pinkey finger and a section inbetween my ring and middle finger went numb, that lasted about a week or so. Anyways it is 8 months now and the hand is mostly recovered, however the scar from the cut still makes my finger feel tingly when touched. It also occasionally creates a "funny-bone-like" feeling rarely in my middle finger. If I press on it or rub it, it becomes numb.My question is does anyone know anything about this, it is obviously minor nerve damage, I am wondering if it is permenant or will it go away in all due time and become back to normal?
  • Yesterday my razor accidently "shaved" a part of my skin on my middle fingertip (long story). Its very sensitive when it is exposed, i think i hit a nerve. I just changed the bandage and put triple anitbiotics and peroxide. Since i wrapped it up again, the pain feels so much worse. Not only the actual injured finger hurts, but my index and ring finger hurts as well. Did anybody experience anything similar?? Im wondering how long will this take to heal because i cant bear this pain any longer.
  • I had the exact same thing happen to me on my middle finger. You've cut one of 4 main nerves in your finger and thats why its numb. Your PCM should have booked you for microscopic surgery with a` plastic surgeon to re-attach your severed nerve. I cut myself opening an avocado with a steak knife and cut the nerve on the left side of my finger. So from the cut on my finger to the tip on one side its numb. I had micro surgery and now my hand is in a splint to keep my finger absolutley still until the nerve heals which takes 4 weeks. Hope that helps.I stabbed myself in the right index finger between the 2 finger joints on the side closest to the thumb. I could not get to medical care until the injury was 7 hours old. At the emergency room they cleaned it and put a sterry strip on it. Today is 6 days since the injury and I have removed the bandaid and the stab is about 1/8th inch. When the injury happened, I knew I had at least hit the nerve by the explosive pain and burning sensation. Since then, I have had numbness on the side and tip of my finger for about1 1/2 inches from the tip. Also, I'm not able to completely close the index finger in a grasp.Went to my PCM and she told me I should regain some sensation but I would have to live with it at this time. So far I've gained some sensation back in the very tip of the finger but I'm concerned about the rest of the numb area. Should I be. Any recommendations?
  • about two months ago i stumbled on the stairway after having a few beers, and instinctively my hand shot at to touch the wall for balance. Unfortunately, the exact spot where a picture the previous tenants of my home used to hang. So, the nails were still sticking out, (thats right, there were two of them) and they both sliced through my palm underneath my pinky. Now, my pinky is still numb, and to a lesser extent my ring finger in my left hand. I'm a guitar player, and this is driving me nutso, as it makes it hard to articulate with those fingers and i'm stuck to playing mostly power chords, at least until i get used to using the finger. Let me know how this works out, I would really love to find out that eventually i will get feeling in these fingers back.glendonjoao@hotmail.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 18, 2010
    • 09:16 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi.When I was 14 I chopped a Jim Beam bottle in half with my right hand. (Karate chop)The glass gut through my hand on the outer part below the pinky.The stitched it back up but since then I have not been able to lift my pinky. I can only make a fist. I literally have to use my other hand and pull open my pinky. I am 27 now. It's very frustrating and I was wondering if anyone knows if the nerves can be re-attached?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 27, 2010
    • 09:40 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi: I think I cut the nerve in my palm in the same place you are talking about. I had a candleholder in my left hand/palm and was digging out wax with a steak knife. The candle holder broke and I actually stabbed myself in my own hand. Luckily, I did not charge myself with assault. The stab wound stopped bleeding and I had an annoying sensation of big chunks of my fingertips missing. It was driving me nuts. My doctor explained that if a nerve is not severed, it heals just like the rest of the body. He said the healing process starts when the nerve makes a new outer sheath that is gritty. (I could actually feel the gritty part). I was imaptient but I waited and the whole process took about six months, but the gritty sensation went away and I got the feeling back in my fingertips!!! I was left with only a scar.I hope that helps!Here's a trick for you freeze candle wax and it slides right out....no need for sharp objects
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 5, 2010
    • 04:21 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hi, I've learned that peripheral nerve damage can regenerate after injury. Your nerves are all myelinated by Schwann cells which when injured can heal. There is an initial lag after injury and then the nerves theoretically grow back about 2-3 mm per day. I've been told you have to wait anywhere from a couple months to a year to expect full nerve recovery. I don't know if the finger will ever feel exactly as before but you should expect a significant improvement from the first days after injury. I have a numb index finger from accidentally cutting myself with a steak knife and I'm hoping its going to start improving soon. It feels like when your leg or something falls asleep and then the blood comes rushing back, like that prickly sensation. Very annoying. Good luck with all your nerves healing. Yay Schawnns!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 13, 2010
    • 05:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • um, alright, i stabbed my hand while i was cutting brownies. the two edged knife straight into the palm of my hand cutting 2 tendons and the nerves. this happened 2 1/2 yrs ago. i have had 3 surgeries and 2 years of extensive therapy. i still have absolutely NO feeling. doc says this is as good as it gets. so, to all of you, once the nerve is severed, I'm pretty sure you never get the feeling back. good luck though. it sucks!k well i almost chopped my index and middle finger off in January of 2010. Had to have surgery to reconnect my nerve was told everything would be fine. I figured it being numb wouldn't hurt BOY WAS I WRONG Ive been numb since ITS BEEN A YEAR, after therapy and almost another surgery and here I am still dealing with it. Went to a final doctors appt and was told o well its gonna be like this the rest of my life. My problem is I'm on a pain management program and the pain meds don't work what do i do know?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 10, 2011
    • 01:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • About 3-4 months ago, I struck my left hand against a hard object. I went to the doctor and they took an x-ray and said they did not see any broken bones however the metacarpal side of my hand (my pinky bone and muscle side) just aches all the time. I cannot bend my pinky finger as well compared to my other hand and if I turn my hand a certain way it aches. I am concerned I might have either nerve damage or tendon damage. I would assume that if it was a small fracture it would have healed by now. I havent noticed any swelling, but that pain just doesnt seem to go away. I plan to go in for an MRI but I was wondering if anybody might know anything about this type of injury.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 9, 2011
    • 10:17 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I was badly bitten by a cat and then it got badly infected after 24 hrs without antibiotic. Either the infection or the cat bite itself or the infection severed a nerve in my right index finger. I had surgery three months ago and it is still not back to 100%. I also have RSDS which is a nerve/pain disorder that is complicating the healing process. Even with physical therapy three days a week it still won't straighten all the way or bend as it should. It is still very very painful at times and gets very stiff. My dr is not very good at explaining the recovery process. Has anyone else out there experienced issues with this type of surgery? Anyone know about how much longer before I'm normal again?
  • Yesterday accidentally I stabbed the side of the first knuckle of my left index finger. Right now it is very swollen and hurts to move, but I can still open and close the finger with effort if I grit through the pain. Going up my finger from the wound, there is a small line of numbness, but the rest of my finger retains feeling. Anyone know if this numbness will go away on it's own?
  • hey all. just 6 days ago I punctured my wrist with a jagged piece of broken water glass while shoving my garbage into the outside can. we've all done it, but this time I lost. I cut the median nerve and my palm, index, middle and half my ring finer are dead. they are numb, heavy, hot and feel like they are cramping. I have surgery in 3 days to have the nerve re-attatched and the hand surgeon says I will regain all feeling in 3-4 months. I will update then. But FYI, anything involving the nerves...get it taken care of pronto. I have no insurance and only a part time job. but this is my hand and I will not lose my hand. So please...go see your doctor when this happens.
  • when a glass cup shattered and it severed my wrist. i cut 4 tendons and i also have nerve damage. i had surgery to repair the tendons and nerves. right now i have no feeling in my fingers, anyway im having pain in the palm of my hand. it feels like someone is stabbing me over and over again in the same spot. its also has a tingling feeling. is this normal pain i should be experiencing or should i check in with my doctor again?
  • I had a glass bottle smash into the palm of my left hand while I was working in Greece for last summer.. The medical centre there put 6 stitches in and I flew home 8 days later.. Anyway I had 3 numb fingers( middle 3) so i went to my nearest a&e when I arrived home and got referred to a hand surgeon who informed I'd cut clean through a nerve, he booked me in for an operation for the next morning to stitch the nerve bk together, in the end they found another cut nerve so they stitched that together aswell. I then had a splint on my hand for 4 weeks and went to weeks of phisio!! The movement of my hand got better, although my three middle fingers are still numb and I get a really sensitive shooting pain with a slight touch to my palm I've been looking up on medication to help this and found one called " nerve support formula" which is suppost to help but has some side affects, I was wondering if there was any other things I could do to help this as it's driving me insane!! X
  • hiya, i was fitting a lock about 3 weeks ago and i stabbed my left forefinger with a razor sharp chisel, it cut the nerves and an artery 100%. ive had microsurgery about a week ago. i was wondering if anyone knows of any ways to speed up the healing as i need to get back to work asap!
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement