Discussions By Condition: Hand conditions

is it a frostbite? fingers numbnwess & hand weakness..

Posted In: Hand conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 4, 2010
  • 07:38 PM

Hi,

My boyfriend had an old mini fridge in his bedroom, the kind where you have to melt the ice from the freezer area every few months or so. Last time when he was doing this, using a hammer and a screwdriver to break the ice, he accidentally hit a pipe and the fridge gas (I think it's called freon gas) came out and splashed 2 of his fingers for couple of seconds. It felt like a burn, and he just wiped it because it was kind of oily and forgot about it. After a week or so those two fingers started feeling numb and the numbness was increasing slowly but stayed in the fingers, and after a while he was feeling a weakness in his hand when trying to lift or open something with it (he realized this when he was trying to squeeze a lemon!). It stayed like this since and didn't get worse nor better.

I read a lot about frostbite but I couldn't really be sure if this is his case or not. His skin color or structure didn't change at all, all he has is the symptoms I mentioned above. I'm trying to convince him to go see a doctor now, but I also thought I'd post something here maybe someone would know about it or have some advice. All treatment I found for frostbite caused by freon gas was for immediately after injury, but in his case it's been months now. What is happening to his hand? Could it be nerves injury? I read that nerves can heal if they are not dead, and I don't think his nerves are dead because he still have slight feeling in his fingers. Would taking vitamins or applying some kind of cream help? :confused:
Please reply if you have any idea of what's happening!

Thank you for your time.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement