Discussions By Condition: Brain conditions

Chiari 1 malformation

Posted In: Brain conditions 1 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 26, 2010
  • 07:52 AM

Hi.

I have just had an MRI of my neck due to a neck and shoulder injury and it has come back saying i have low lying cerebellar tonsils 9mm below the level of the foramen magnum, consistent with chiari 1 malformation.

My Dr never called to give me the results so I dont really know what this is or anything.

I have been getting severe headaches/migraines on and off for the past year, and for the last month, i have been getting dizzy going from lying down to standing and vice verca. The last week, i have also had a cold, not bad but along with this, a severe headache and very severe dizziness, to the point of passing out once, and having to lie down a few times.

Could all this be related?

advice from anyone who knows about any of this stuff is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

• Hi.I have just had an MRI of my neck due to a neck and shoulder injury and it has come back saying i have low lying cerebellar tonsils 9mm below the level of the foramen magnum, consistent with chiari 1 malformation.My Dr never called to give me the results so I dont really know what this is or anything.I have been getting severe headaches/migraines on and off for the past year, and for the last month, i have been getting dizzy going from lying down to standing and vice verca. The last week, i have also had a cold, not bad but along with this, a severe headache and very severe dizziness, to the point of passing out once, and having to lie down a few times. Could all this be related? advice from anyone who knows about any of this stuff is greatly appreciated. Thanksmy 11 year old son was diagnosed with Chiari 1 Malformation about a year ago - his symptoms were severe headaches which would last 30 minutes (probably every couple of weeks) and occasional facial twitching.we took him to a Children's hospital in sydney where a CT scan and then MRI was done - he was then referred to a neurosurgeon.the neurosurgeon advised a 'watch' approach as he said surgery can make symptoms worse eg headaches.we manage my son's condition conservatively - we give simple analgesia for headaches and massage his shoulders if a headache starts - this seems to stop a headache from progressing.he has not had a headache for some months now.the facial twitching has also settled and really only seems noticeable if he is upset or stressed - so we try to minimize stress. We have not seen any facial twitching for months.stress seems to play a large part in symptomsno other symptoms, thankfully.he had a repeat MRI and the neurosurgeon now wants to see him in a years time as there was no change.I would like my son to try acupuncture, but hubby refuses.this diagnosis has almost ruined my marriage - after diagnosis, hubby was pushing for surgery (as he felt surgery was a cure and seemed to ignore how major the surgery is) and we were not talking, only yelling at each other.and we were both looking for lawyers.hubby was going behind my back to the surgeon asking him to go ahead with surgery, even though the surgeon had said it was not needed at this stage.his family were not talking to me and accused me of denying care.I will never trust hubby fully again and am always cautious with him.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 22, 2010
    • 09:09 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement