Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Whats wrong with my liver? Hemochromitosis?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: john424
  • February 24, 2010
  • 05:24 AM

After a routine bloodtest I had high liver enzymes:

ALT : 175
AST: 110

Further test revealed similar levels, negative for hep A,B,C, mono, and cmv but showed

Ferritin : 357
Iron: 175
% sat: 49%
UIBC 185
Single mutation (C28Y) identified ....Carrier

The scary one

AFP : 27
MRI: unremarkable other that 5mm simple liver cyst
Ultrasound: unremarkable

Ceruloplasmin 15.8 (have not done a urine test yet, should I?)

Im a very healthy 25 year old white male who exercises regularly with no signs or symptoms. I originally had the bloodwork done after noticing what was later diagnosed as geographic tongue (seems accurate as it moved around cleared up and continues to come back every once in a while but I dont think they its related) I was drinking moderately over the past year (2 -3 drinks a night) more on occassion but completely quit about 2 month ago. Used tobacco products for three years and quit that as well, have had my mouth evaluated by a doctor and a dentist with no signs of anything there. Based on these results, I think there is a chance of Hemochromitosis, maybe Wilsons ( told the doc I wanted a urine test but he doesnt think its necessary), and hopefully not the C word. Do these results jump out at any of you docs out there? Just looking for possibilities as the stress of not knowing is really bothering me. Also I work for a company that frequently travels to Mexico, and in the last 2 years I have been to Honduras, Guatemala, and Costa Rica....parasites?

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement