Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

My eyes are spinning?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 4 Replies
  • Posted By: Ansem990
  • February 14, 2010
  • 05:20 PM

I'm not sure if it would be the correct term? But anyways, for the past week or so I've been waking up to my eyes moving very fast up and down, which is followed by nausea and dizziness...I can usually stop the "spinning" by laying there with my eyes shut for a while..Or running to the bathroom to go throw up...But it leaves me with the dizzy and nauseous feeling all day.

Yesterday, I couldn't sleep and woke up about 4 times in the middle of the night, and it kept constantly happening...This normally happens to me about once a year, but I'm still not sure what it is, because it's not like the normal horizontal spinning, but vertical...

Can anyone help? I'm confused :/

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• The first thing that comes to mind is Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo. In Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) dizziness is thought to be due to debris which has collected within a part of the inner ear. This debris can be thought of as "ear rocks", although the formal name is "otoconia". While the saccule also contains otoconia, they are not able to migrate into the canal system. The utricle may have been damaged by head injury, infection, or other disorder of the inner ear, or may have degenerated because of advanced age. Normally otoconia appear to have a slow turnover. BPPV is a common cause of dizziness. About 20% of all dizziness is due to BPPV. The older you are, the more likely it is that your dizziness is due to BPPV, as about 50% of all dizziness in older people is due to BPPV. The symptoms of BPPV include dizziness or vertigo, lightheadedness, imbalance, and nausea. Activities which bring on symptoms will vary among persons, but symptoms are almost always precipitated by a change of position of the head with respect to gravity. Getting out of bed or rolling over in bed are common "problem" motions . Because people with BPPV often feel dizzy and unsteady when they tip their heads back to look up, sometimes BPPV is called "top shelf vertigo." Women with BPPV may find that the use of shampoo bowls in beauty parlors brings on symptoms. An intermittent pattern is common. BPPV may be present for a few weeks, then stop, then come back again.
    aleasha89 34 Replies
    • February 14, 2010
    • 05:26 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hmm, well would someone under the age of 20 still have a chance at having it?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 14, 2010
    • 05:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hmm, well is it possible this can occur in people younger than 20?
    Ansem990 1 Replies
    • February 14, 2010
    • 05:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Although not as common, yes, it can. Something else that comes to mind is Bonnier's syndrome. It is a syndrome due to a lesion of Deiters nucleus and its connection; the symptoms include ocular disturbances (e.g., paralysis of accommodation, nystagmus, diplopia), as well as deafness, nausea, thirst, anorexia, and symptoms referable to the involvement of the vagus centres. Symptoms of Bonnier's include impaired eye accommodation, nystagmus, double vision, nausea, thirst, deafness, anorexia, trigeminal pain, sense of apprehension, weakness, arm weakness, leg weakness, rapid heart rate, somnolence, oculomotor symptoms, and vertigo. Bonnier's syndrome is also known as Deiters' nucleus syndrome. I would consider this a very rare disease and little is known about it. Almost nothing is known about it, but some of your symptoms do fit. After Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo, Bonnier's syndrome would be my second diagnosis for you.
    aleasha89 34 Replies
    • February 14, 2010
    • 06:34 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement