Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

epilepsy ! does it run in the family

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 1 Replies
  • Posted By: gasman2010
  • February 9, 2010
  • 02:15 PM

Dear MD,

I have a question that has been troubling me for a long time!

My father has had epilepsy for as long as I can remember. He had 3 children including me. I am the oldest of three siblings. Both my younger brother and younger sister have been diagnosed with Epilepsy. I am not sure of the epilepsy types. Somehow I don't seem to have it. and I am in 30 + years of age, and I have 2 young children.

I would like to know if my childeren are prone to having epilipsy in the future because of my apparent family history. What are the chances baring in mind that neither parent (me and my wife) do not have epilepsy?

Is there any kind of test to show likelihood or symptoms I have to look for?

Please I urge whomever reads this thread to answer me.

thanks,

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

• Hi,Here is what I found on the Epilepsy Foundation website:"Certain types of epilepsy do seem to run in families. Some studies have shown that the risk of epilepsy in brothers, sisters and children of people with seizure disorders ranges from 4-8% (that is, between about 1 in 25 and about 1 in 12). The risk in the general population is about 1-2% (between 1 in 100 and 1 in 50). However, it's important to remember that although the risk is higher than in the general population, most people with epilepsy do not have any relatives with seizures, and the great majority of parents with epilepsy do not have children with epilepsy.""Ask your physician to refer you for genetic counseling. Specially trained physicians or nurses, genetic counselors, and other health care professionals can help you study your medical history, find out facts about your family history and, if possible, calculate the risk for you and your baby. They may recommend certain laboratory tests to get more information."If you want more information, try doing an internet search for 'is epilepsy genetic' or 'genetics and epilepsy.' When I did that on Google it resulted in almost 2 million pages being found. You can read up on it and determine if you want to seek genetic counseling or ask a neurologist about specific concerns and what to look for with your kids.Best wishes,E
    ErinBBC 17 Replies
    • February 11, 2010
    • 00:57 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement