Discussions By Condition: Ears, Nose, Mouth & Throat conditions

Burning pain & smell chlorine or ammonia

• Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 30, 2010
  • 10:56 AM

I have chronic sinus infections. Tonight I was laying on my side in bed, and turned my head toward my shoulder. I suddenly I felt my sinus start to drain, and it tasted chemical, and smelled like chlorine or ammonia. This was accompanied with a strong burst of burning pain deep in my head, and the back & top of my skull. The pain didn't last long, but I still have a burning sensation in my head. I haven't had any kidney trouble, and I'm pretty sure my liver's ok.
I don't know if I should be scared or not. I'd really like to know what could cause this to happen.
:confused: Thanks for any insight.

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• I have chronic sinus infections. Tonight I was laying on my side in bed, and turned my head toward my shoulder. I suddenly I felt my sinus start to drain, and it tasted chemical, and smelled like chlorine or ammonia. This was accompanied with a strong burst of burning pain deep in my head, and the back & top of my skull. The pain didn't last long, but I still have a burning sensation in my head. I haven't had any kidney trouble, and I'm pretty sure my liver's ok. I don't know if I should be scared or not. I'd really like to know what could cause this to happen. :confused: Thanks for any insight.I found interesting information (copied below) that might explain the chlorine taste. I was curious how the body might make chlorine, and ran across this on the American Chemistry website. I'm not a doctor, but it makes sense to me that if the body uses a form of chlorine to fight a sinus infection that you would taste or smell it. Human Body: Immune SystemIn the immune system, which is charged with fighting off the daily invasion of germs, chlorine is there to lend a hand. When infections take place, hypochlorite -- a chlorine-containing compound which is a well-known disinfectant -- forms in white blood cells. Hypochlorite itself attacks the germs, or helps to activate other agents that do the work.http://www.americanchemistry.com/s_chlorine/sec_content.asp?CID=1166&DID=4477&CTYPEID=109
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 30, 2010
    • 03:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have chronic sinus infections. Tonight I was laying on my side in bed, and turned my head toward my shoulder. I suddenly I felt my sinus start to drain, and it tasted chemical, and smelled like chlorine or ammonia. This was accompanied with a strong burst of burning pain deep in my head, and the back & top of my skull. The pain didn't last long, but I still have a burning sensation in my head. I haven't had any kidney trouble, and I'm pretty sure my liver's ok. I don't know if I should be scared or not. I'd really like to know what could cause this to happen. :confused: Thanks for any insight. I was curious about how our bodies might make chlorine, and found some good information on AmericanChemistry.com. "Chlorine is also essential to the immune system, which is charged with fighting off the daily invasion of germs. When infections take place, hypochlorite—a chlorine-containing compound which is a well-known disinfectant—forms in white blood cells. Hypochlorite either attacks germs or helps to activate other disinfecting agents.?" They had several articles about chlorine and people. http://www.americanchemistry.com/s_chlorine/search.asp?qu=immun+chlorine+blood+cell&CID=1140&DID=4296&isNew=false&btnSearch=Search&searchAction=find
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 30, 2010
    • 03:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have chronic sinus infections. Tonight I was laying on my side in bed, and turned my head toward my shoulder. I suddenly I felt my sinus start to drain, and it tasted chemical, and smelled like chlorine or ammonia. This was accompanied with a strong burst of burning pain deep in my head, and the back & top of my skull. The pain didn't last long, but I still have a burning sensation in my head. I haven't had any kidney trouble, and I'm pretty sure my liver's ok. I don't know if I should be scared or not. I'd really like to know what could cause this to happen. :confused: Thanks for any insight. I found some good information when i looked to see how our bodies use chlorine. I found the following on a chemistry site. I think it explains why I'm smelling chlorine. It probably means my immune system is doing it's job. Human Body: Immune System"In the immune system, which is charged with fighting off the daily invasion of germs, chlorine is there to lend a hand. When infections take place, hypochlorite -- a chlorine-containing compound which is a well-known disinfectant -- forms in white blood cells. Hypochlorite itself attacks the germs, or helps to activate other agents that do the work." (link to more information)http://www.americanchemistry.com/s_chlorine/sec_content.asp?CID=1166&DID=4477&CTYPEID=109
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 30, 2010
    • 05:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I found interesting information (copied below) that might explain the chlorine taste. I was curious how the body might make chlorine, and ran across this on the American Chemistry website. I'm not a doctor, but it makes sense to me that if the body uses a form of chlorine to fight a sinus infection that you would taste or smell it. Human Body: Immune SystemIn the immune system, which is charged with fighting off the daily invasion of germs, chlorine is there to lend a hand. When infections take place, hypochlorite -- a chlorine-containing compound which is a well-known disinfectant -- forms in white blood cells. Hypochlorite itself attacks the germs, or helps to activate other agents that do the work.http://www.americanchemistry.com/s_chlorine/sec_content.asp?CID=1166&DID=4477&CTYPEID=109I Googled this symptom and I found your post.. thanks! I am so impressed that it actually IS a type of chlorine and that my experience in thinking it smells/feels like a chlorine burn when you accidentally get chlorine in your sinuses at the pool is actually correct and dead on. The human body never ceases to amaze me! Smart technology!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement