Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

pain in my stomach and mainly right side under my rib cage

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 5 Replies
  • Posted By: nici22333
  • January 29, 2010
  • 04:04 AM

This past week I had a stomach virus twice. First time was Tuesday, then Wednesday I was fine..Then Wednesday night I started feeling nauseated again except worse. I continued to have diarrhea for two days. Then I just felt extremely full with a lot of pressure. I have not had any nausea or diarrhea for 3 days now and feel fine, but I feel like I am short of breath sometimes and my stomach feels bloated or like a hard ball. I have had some sharp shooting pains in my right side under my rib cage to the lower part of my side. It seems when I breath in it hurts a little worse. Also when you press on my stomach or side it hurts. I will hold a pillow and hunch over a little and it seems like I can breath a little better. I dont really think that has anything to do with the stomach virus though. What could this be? I have trouble with panic attacks as well, but I have not had any bad ones for a long time until this all started. Any possible causes?

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• It sounds like what has been bothering me for over 7 months. In the begining back in june and july it felt like my right rib cage was opening and my left one was closing. making it so uncomfortable to lay down that i couldnt sleep more then 2 hours for a month straight.It has been so hard to explain, except that it feels like something bloating under the rib cage but then it feels almost as if there is a hard ball or something in there that my ribs lungs and muscles rub around every breath or activity i do.i noticed that while i drive without consciously doing it, my hand will move to my bottom right rib cage and just push slightly on it and il notice that i drive a while like that and it seems to help. also at night i need to put some kind of pressure there it i want to be able to sleep, but i have been having sleep problems for months now. I,ve been to the doctors so many times, everything comes back negative. Most days i can barely breathe, it feels like something under the bottom of my right rib cage is blocking my lung from expanding, but all tests for the liver, lungs, and heart come back normal. After taking antibiotic after antibiotic for months the pain is still there every breath. I finally did some research into my family and other symptoms and i found i have a group of symptoms from Systematic Lupus, and have lupus in my family but just got the blood test back as negative. Now im back at sqaure one, same symptoms, no diagnosis.hope you dont go for so long with it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 29, 2010
    • 03:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This past week I had a stomach virus twice. First time was Tuesday, then Wednesday I was fine..Then Wednesday night I started feeling nauseated again except worse. I continued to have diarrhea for two days. Then I just felt extremely full with a lot of pressure. I have not had any nausea or diarrhea for 3 days now and feel fine, but I feel like I am short of breath sometimes and my stomach feels bloated or like a hard ball. I have had some sharp shooting pains in my right side under my rib cage to the lower part of my side. It seems when I breath in it hurts a little worse. Also when you press on my stomach or side it hurts. I will hold a pillow and hunch over a little and it seems like I can breath a little better. I dont really think that has anything to do with the stomach virus though. What could this be? I have trouble with panic attacks as well, but I have not had any bad ones for a long time until this all started. Any possible causes?It sounds like galbladder symptoms I have the same and am going to have it removed Good Luck !
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 29, 2010
    • 08:28 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It sounds like what has been bothering me for over 7 months. In the begining back in june and july it felt like my right rib cage was opening and my left one was closing. making it so uncomfortable to lay down that i couldnt sleep more then 2 hours for a month straight.It has been so hard to explain, except that it feels like something bloating under the rib cage but then it feels almost as if there is a hard ball or something in there that my ribs lungs and muscles rub around every breath or activity i do.i noticed that while i drive without consciously doing it, my hand will move to my bottom right rib cage and just push slightly on it and il notice that i drive a while like that and it seems to help. also at night i need to put some kind of pressure there it i want to be able to sleep, but i have been having sleep problems for months now. I,ve been to the doctors so many times, everything comes back negative. Most days i can barely breathe, it feels like something under the bottom of my right rib cage is blocking my lung from expanding, but all tests for the liver, lungs, and heart come back normal. After taking antibiotic after antibiotic for months the pain is still there every breath. I finally did some research into my family and other symptoms and i found i have a group of symptoms from Systematic Lupus, and have lupus in my family but just got the blood test back as negative. Now im back at sqaure one, same symptoms, no diagnosis.hope you dont go for so long with it.[/QU------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------IT COULD BE FLOATING RIBS, i JUST READ YOUR POSTING I HAVE THIS SAME PAIN BEEN TO THE DOCTORS HAD ALL SORTS OF TEST DONE,HAD A HIDA SCAN TO CHECKED MY GALLBLADDER OUT, ALL THE TEST CAME BACK NEGATIVE. MY DOCTOR SENT ME, TO A SURGEON BECAUSE MY DOCTOR THOUGHT IT WAS MY GALLBLADDER CAUSING ALL THE PAIN AND IT NEEDED TO BE REMOVED,EVEN THOU I ASKED MY dOCTOR HOW COULD IT BE MY GALLBLADDER SINCE THE HIDA SCAN RESULT CAME BACK NEGATIVE. SO I WENT TO THE SURGEON, HE CHECKED ME AND TOLD ME, THAT I HAVE FLOATING RIBS AND MY RIBS ARE GRINDING TOGETHER AND THATS WHATS CAUSING THE PAIN.SO IF YOU GO TO A DOCTOR ASK THEM IF IT COULD BE FLOATING RIBS.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • It's your liver. Have yourselft tested for liver damage from hepatitis, cirrhosis; fatty liver, cancer or any disease that effects the liver. It sounds like what has been bothering me for over 7 months. In the begining back in june and july it felt like my right rib cage was opening and my left one was closing. making it so uncomfortable to lay down that i couldnt sleep more then 2 hours for a month straight.It has been so hard to explain, except that it feels like something bloating under the rib cage but then it feels almost as if there is a hard ball or something in there that my ribs lungs and muscles rub around every breath or activity i do.i noticed that while i drive without consciously doing it, my hand will move to my bottom right rib cage and just push slightly on it and il notice that i drive a while like that and it seems to help. also at night i need to put some kind of pressure there it i want to be able to sleep, but i have been having sleep problems for months now. I,ve been to the doctors so many times, everything comes back negative. Most days i can barely breathe, it feels like something under the bottom of my right rib cage is blocking my lung from expanding, but all tests for the liver, lungs, and heart come back normal. After taking antibiotic after antibiotic for months the pain is still there every breath. I finally did some research into my family and other symptoms and i found i have a group of symptoms from Systematic Lupus, and have lupus in my family but just got the blood test back as negative. Now im back at sqaure one, same symptoms, no diagnosis.hope you dont go for so long with it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 12, 2011
    • 08:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This past week I had a stomach virus twice. First time was Tuesday, then Wednesday I was fine..Then Wednesday night I started feeling nauseated again except worse. I continued to have diarrhea for two days. Then I just felt extremely full with a lot of pressure. I have not had any nausea or diarrhea for 3 days now and feel fine, but I feel like I am short of breath sometimes and my stomach feels bloated or like a hard ball. I have had some sharp shooting pains in my right side under my rib cage to the lower part of my side. It seems when I breath in it hurts a little worse. Also when you press on my stomach or side it hurts. I will hold a pillow and hunch over a little and it seems like I can breath a little better. I dont really think that has anything to do with the stomach virus though. What could this be? I have trouble with panic attacks as well, but I have not had any bad ones for a long time until this all started. Any possible causes?I have had the exact same symptom you are talking about and I have had every test possible other than the endoscopy (camera/scope down the throat) or the barium endoscopy (where you drink the barium and they look at you esophagus). I am having that soon though. Orginially the doctors thought it was my Gallblater, but those test came back fine and all of my other tests have come back negitive so far as well. I'm assuming that they've checked your Galblatter, as that would be the most obvious thing, from what I'm told, according to your symptoms. I've heard that those same symptoms could also be a sign of a Hiatal Hernia. Have you been tested for that? I've also been told that can it be genetic. My Father had that, I don't know about your family history, but hopefully whatever you have can be easily treated and I hope you feel better soon, because I feel miserable and can relate to your post, because I feel the same way. I want them to figure out what's up so that I can get on with life. Take Care and good luck
    smitchalina 1 Replies
    • November 21, 2012
    • 11:29 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement