Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

possibility of hiv infection?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 8 Replies
  • Posted By: 123xyz098
  • January 19, 2010
  • 05:50 AM

27 year old male, early saturday morning (1-16-10) i was intoxicated and visited a female sex worker in mexico. i had protected sex, however 8 hours prior i had shaved my pubic hair. i tried to not get fluid on me, there was not much, mostly lube which seemed to be water based but the condom left about an inch of exposed skin. exactly 35.5 hours later i noticed a painful hard lymph node below my ear next to my jaw line on the left side had formed and recently a smaller non painful one on the right came up. they're not visible but i saw a doctor today 1-18-10 and they noticed it upon touching. the night before i was sweating in bed but i couldn't tell if it was because of nerves and being over dressed. i did not have a temperature at the doctors. i have had a loose diarreah like stool since saturday, but is slighty better today. i had a bad headache the next day and still feel a little nausea and like my head is full, but i did drink alot that night. i have not had very much sleep. my sinuses are fairly clear feeling but the doctor did give me antibiotics for what they she thought could be a sinus infection starting based on examining my throat and also thought i may have a prostate infection.

my lymphs have grown in the past because of eye or sinus infections, is the location of this one more indicative of that? is it too soon to have symptoms? what should i be on the lookout for?
please, any opinions would help, thank you.

Reply Flag this Discussion

8 Replies:

• Well, you ask sort of a complicated question. If you were infected, early symptoms (within a few days of exposure to a few weeks) would be like that of the common cold or the flu, sort of like mono. You might have a fever, rash, or fatigue. Keep in mind that anxiety can cause these too. This is not a good way to diagnose HIV because they could just be a common cold or other illness too. This is why an HIV antibody test is needed to diagnose someone with HIV.Since HIV is a virus, the virus must multiply to a certain level in order to be detected in a blood test. The body's immune system attempts to destroy the virus by creating antibodies. The HIV test looks for those antibodies, which indicate the HIV virus is present. This is why in some cases, depending on how fast the virus is replicating and the status of your immune system, it may take months or years for outward symptoms to show. This means a person can have HIV but show no symptoms (on the outside) and can infect others for a time without realizing it. This is the danger of having multiple sex partners or sex with others who have had multiple partners, such as sex workers. Each sex partner is a possible carrier even if they look perfectly healthy on the outside at the time. You can't tell if someone has HIV by looking at them. If you think you were exposed to HIV, you need to see a doctor to determine if there is a blood test available to you which can check for HIV virus in your blood. (As opposed to the antibodies which take longer to show up.) Your doctor may suggest you have a few tests over a period of months to be sure of your status. Once a person is infected with HIV and the initial reaction to the infection is over (the fever, possible rash, cold/flu like symptoms, etc...) then it the person is a carrier and it could take up to 10 or so years without outwardly showing it. During this time, on the inside, the immune system is stressed and stressed, growing progressively weaker until it is unable to fight the virus any more and full blown AIDS occurs. At this point, the body is suseptible to other infections such as pneumonia, etc... because the body's immune system is no longer functioning properly and is unable to protect the body from infections. You mentioned shaving prior to your encounter with a *********e. Shaving creates many possible entryways for HIV or other sexually contracted diseases, or even infections of other kinds, to enter the body. Each hair follicle shaved is a possible point of entry and shaving makes you more suseptible to problems. The genital area is very sensitive. Even viruses or bacteria on hands or other genital areas can be transferred and enter the body through this route. If you shave, health and cleanliness of both parties is of utmost importance for this reason. Hair creates a natural barrier of protection from these types of infections. There's no way of knowing if you are infected with HIV or not from this forum. You must have blood work to determine that. It may be just a sinus infection, prostate infection or something else. You may have contracted another type of sexually transmitted disease. I urge you to see your doctor for a real diagnosis.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 19, 2010
    • 04:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • the chances of getting HIV from male on female PROTECTED sex is 1 in 50 million.Hello-- I've spent significant time researching this issue. A report in the Journal of the American Medical Association lists someof the statistics you're looking for. A lot the odds depend on whetheryour partner is high risk for having AIDS or whether your partner hasbeen diagnosed with AIDS. (Keep in mind that the below odds are saidto be equal for men and women.)1) The odds of catching it if your partner has HIV/Man to woman HIV.It states that a heterosexual who has one incident of penile-vaginalsexual intercourse with someone in a non-high-risk group (that issomeone who has not had sex with someone of the same sex, with someonewho practices safe sex, or who isn't particularly sexually active) has1 in 5 million odds of becoming infected with the virus that causesAIDS if you don't use a condom. With a condom the odds are 1 in 50million.But the odds are much worse if you have sexual intercourse withsomeone who's "high risk" (i.e. a gay or bisexual male, or ahemophiliac). The odds of contracting AIDS if you have sex withsomeone in this high risk group are 1 in 10,000 if you use a condomand 1 in 1,000 if you don't use a condom.If your heterosexual partner is HIV-positive, you have a much greaterchance of contracting AIDS after having sex. If you have sex with acondom, the odds of your infection are 1 in 5,000. If you don't use acondom, your odds are 1 in 500 of contracting the virus. Your oddsincrease, depending on how frequently you have sex with your partner.If you have sex with someone who's HIV positive 500 times usingcondoms, your chances are 1 in 11 of contracting the virus. If youdon't use a condom for 500 times having sexual intercourse, your oddsare 2 in 3.One report stated, "The transmission female to male is so small thatits only theoretical, unlike the measurable male to female long termrisk of repeated expose to the same man discussed above." Best means of safely continuing the activity: Use at least one condomat all times.The transmission odds of the virus that causes AIDS is slight if it'sbeing transmitted female-to-male. I found this report, "Another study (which has not been universally accepted, but anyway) specificallylooked at female-to-male transmission rates, and found surprisinglyhigh rates: 3.1% per boff, with a worst-case scenario of 7.5%infection-per-boff. Note that this is Asian, and there is evidencethat in Asia and Africa the virus is more readily spread throughheterosexual sex than in North America (debated)." You may look at this site athttp://www.aids.wustl.edu/aids/femmal.html Another report states, "The epidemiologists now believe the key factorin transmission may be damage to the protective barrier of the skin orgenital tissues. Such damage allows blood cells containing the AIDSvirus to pass from one person to another. The body's protectivebarriers may be damaged from trauma during sexual intercourse or fromvenereal diseases which cause ulcers, such as herpes, syphilis orchancroid. Individuals with venereal diseases such as gonorrhea also producelarge amounts of infection-fighting white blood cells in their genitalorgans. The AIDS virus grows and concentrates in such cells. This mayexplain why people with untreated venereal diseases appear more likelyto transmit AIDS than infected individuals who do not have additionalillnesses." http://www.aegis.com/news/lt/1986/LT860702.html And another: "The efficiency of male-to-female infection of HIV (thevirus that causes AIDS) is more than two times higher than that offemale-to-male infection."http://www.womens-health.org/0javascripts/dropinnav.htm?/health/hivaids.htm http://www.indiaparenting.com/articles/data/art01_004a.shtml This sitehas a chart listing risk percentages that you might find useful. Fellatio: The risk is quite small for the man during fellatio. Thereis a 0 percent chance the man will acquire HIV from a woman performingfellatio on a man, as long as the man has no cuts, open wounds, orsores on his penis that could allow saliva to enter his body. If thereare open wounds, cuts, or sores on the man's penis, there is a slightrisk. (Exact odds aren't known). Of course, wearing a condom can makethese risks even more slight. Here's a site you may want to check out:http://www.caps.ucsf.edu/hotstudy/HOTLinks.html2) Catching HIV with an open soreYou cannot get AIDS from kissing someone. The Surgeon General's Reporton AIDS indicates there are no reported cases ofHIV transmission from saliva.* Fellatio and cunnilingus One study I found looked at this issue. It studied 110 women whoseonly potential exposure to AIDS was unprotected fellacio (without acondom). The report states, "Of these women, 96 performed fellatiowithout a condom, which gave an estimated total of 8.965 unprotectedfellatios, of which 3,060 (34 percent) were with ejaculation in theoral cavity. Ninety-eight infected men carried out unprotectedcunnilingus on the uninfected woman with an estimate of 8.656practices of this type. Among the HIV-infected members of the couples,8.1 percenthad been diagnosed with AIDS and 15.6 percent had a CD4 cell countlower than 200 x 106/l. For 60 individuals an HIV-1-RNA quantificationwas available, and six of them presented with greater than 10,000copies/ml. Of the 135 initially infectedpartners, 39 percent received antiretroviral therapy during thefollow-up. The authors reported registering 210 person-years offollow-up with participants." You can read that entire report athttp://www.mihivnews.com/r-prevention_05-07.htm The information I've found shows that performing oral sex on a womanand obtaining HIV from that is "highly unlikely." However, the reportstates, "If a woman has an STD, however, the risk is greater since shehas lots of white blood cells from the STD sore fighting theinfection. These white cells certainly carry HIV if she is HIVinfected." The report found that it's possible the man could beinfected, providing he has open sores on his mouth. If there are nosuch sores, it's virtually impossible for AIDS to be transferred. TheAIDS virus can be transmitted by most body fluids. But semen and bloodare the most easily transferrable means of the virus. Best means of safely continuing activity: Use at least one condom atall times.The information I've found shows that performing oral sex on a womanand obtaining HIV from that is "highly unlikely." However, the reportstates, "If a woman has an STD, however, the risk is greater since shehas lots of white blood cells from the STD sore fighting theinfection. These white cells certainly carry HIV if she is HIVinfected." The report found that it's possible the man could beinfected, providing he has open sores on his mouth. If there are nosuch sores, it's virtually impossible for AIDS to be transferred. TheAIDS virus can be transmitted by most body fluids. But semen and bloodare the most easily transferrable means of the virus. Best means of safely continuing activity: Use at least one condom atall times.3) Catching HIV if a condom breaksThe information I found states that if the condom breaks while a manis having sexual intercourse with a woman, the odds are the same as ifno condom was used at all. Again, one report stated, "The transmissionfemale to male is so small that its only theoretical, unlike themeasurable male to female long term risk of repeated expose to thesame man." If a woman has sex with a man who’s known to be HIVpositive and the condom breaks, the woman has 1 in 500 odds ofcontracting the virus.4) Catching HIV man to woman if intercourse lasts for 5 seconds.The information from the Journal of the American Medical Associationstates it does not matter how long intercourse lasts. If fluids areexchanged the odds are the same. However, the odds of the mancontracting HIV from a known HIV positive female during intercourseare minute.5) Chances of catching HIV if you wash off right away.The JAMA report found this doesn’t matter: Once HIV-infected fluidenters a person’s body, there has been no proven way to remove it.Your odds of contracting HIV if you wash off immediately afterintercourse is the same as if you do not.You may call the Center for Disease Control National AIDS Hotline at1-800-342-AIDS. You may call the AIDS Clinical Trials Information Service (ACTIS) at1-800-874-2572 or 1-800-TRIALS-A Some sources you may read: You may take a quiz to assess your risk of acquiring HIV online. Thelink is http://www.thebody.com/surveys/sexsurvey.html One article discusses the results of the Journal of the AmericanMedical Association report. The link ishttp://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_373.htmlOne article from The Pulse, written by a college reporter, looks atthe odds of contracting HIV. The link ishttp://www.finchcms.edu/students/pulse/january_1998/1.htmlInformation about safer sex can be found online. One site allows youto see a list of sexual activities rated from highest risk to lowestrisk. The link ishttp://www.justlaura.com/xoom/sex/safe.html The U.S. Surgeon General has done a recent report on AIDS. The link ishttp://wonder.cdc.gov/wonder/sci_data/misc/type_txt/sgrpt.asp One report lists several types of sexual activities and their risk oftransferring AIDS. The link ishttp://www.libchrist.com/std/2000aidsrpt.htmlAnother good site allows you to check forum archives. Specificquestions are answered. The link is http://www.thebody.com/index.shtmlI hope this helps. If you need any clarification, please don’thesitate to ask.Darrel-ga
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 20, 2010
    • 01:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you tremendously for responding. I'm in absolute nervous agony from the not knowing. My doc said I have to wait 3 months to take a test, she also said I would have noticed a type of entry way infection/irritation of where it entered the body and would've most likely had a fever along with everything when I saw her. The only thing I noticed was what looked like a needle mark on my middle back that hurt when i touched it, so even that is freaking me out about what if someone stuck me w/ a needle at the club...online I found a test they say is mostly acurrate after 21 to 28 days. I just don't know how I am going to make it that long without having a mental breakdown. I've been taking my temp and it's been varying anywhere from 98.7 down to 97.6. My face feels hot, my lymphs are still there, diahrea too, I don't think I'm fatigued outside of recovering from that day of no sleep, heavy drinking, and constant anxiety. I've had mono and it felt worse than this. My sinuses have been coming and going w/ mild congestion, before bed I blew my nose and it was greenish. I guess the only thing that has me worried the most is the lymph nodes...I mean can they really rise and stay up for missing a day of sleep? If it wasn't for my that happening so close to the event I wouldn't be so stressed about it. I will probably get tested in another 16 days from now.
    123xyz098 3 Replies
    • January 20, 2010
    • 09:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you tremendously for responding. I'm in absolute nervous agony from the not knowing. My doc said I have to wait 3 months to take a test, she also said I would have noticed a type of entry way infection/irritation of where it entered the body and would've most likely had a fever along with everything when I saw her. The only thing I noticed was what looked like a needle mark on my middle back that hurt when i touched it, so even that is freaking me out about what if someone stuck me w/ a needle at the club...online I found a test they say is mostly acurrate after 21 to 28 days. I just don't know how I am going to make it that long without having a mental breakdown. I've been taking my temp and it's been varying anywhere from 98.7 down to 97.6. My face feels hot, my lymphs are still there, diahrea too, I don't think I'm fatigued outside of recovering from that day of no sleep, heavy drinking, and constant anxiety. I've had mono and it felt worse than this. My sinuses have been coming and going w/ mild congestion, before bed I blew my nose and it was greenish. I guess the only thing that has me worried the most is the lymph nodes...I mean can they really rise and stay up for missing a day of sleep? If it wasn't for my that happening so close to the event I wouldn't be so stressed about it. I will probably get tested in another 16 days from now.It really just sounds like you have a cold. I really wouldnt worry so much. Have the test to put your mind at ease. i think you are feeling paranoid for making a bad decision.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 21, 2010
    • 01:16 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It really just sounds like you have a cold. I really wouldnt worry so much. Have the test to put your mind at ease. i think you are feeling paranoid for making a bad decision.Such a bad decision, that's right. Nothing is worth going through this. Every single reply is totally appreciated and I am very thankful. It gives me something to focus my mind on during the wait. It's weird cause I can't talk about this to my friends or family because it would put them in hurt for the entire waiting peroid before I can take the test. I think I'm going to get an antibodies and a pcr test together when it's time. I'm going to try harder to let go of the anxiety if not for my own comfort, just so I can eat and sleep a little more. Thanks again for the help and encouragement.
    123xyz098 3 Replies
    • January 21, 2010
    • 10:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Such a bad decision, that's right. Nothing is worth going through this. Every single reply is totally appreciated and I am very thankful. It gives me something to focus my mind on during the wait. It's weird cause I can't talk about this to my friends or family because it would put them in hurt for the entire waiting peroid before I can take the test. I think I'm going to get an antibodies and a pcr test together when it's time. I'm going to try harder to let go of the anxiety if not for my own comfort, just so I can eat and sleep a little more. Thanks again for the help and encouragement.Hi, I was wandering how your test went.Its just I had a condom break on me with a sex worker in Asia and I have noticed an emmflammed node below my ear and next to my jaw line as well. Its gone away but I now have one on my neck at the very top of the spine. Also had some pretty bad colds and asseinisitus past few months and I have currently got a throat infection. Souds like we have had very simmilar problems.I am beside myself with worry. I'm booked in for a test next week so I hope to god its all clear. worst mistake of lifeIf you could get back to me that would be brilliant
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi, I was wandering how your test went.Its just I had a condom break on me with a sex worker in Asia and I have noticed an emmflammed node below my ear and next to my jaw line as well. Its gone away but I now have one on my neck at the very top of the spine. Also had some pretty bad colds and asseinisitus past few months and I have currently got a throat infection. Souds like we have had very simmilar problems.I am beside myself with worry. I'm booked in for a test next week so I hope to god its all clear. worst mistake of lifeIf you could get back to me that would be brilliantI posted a long detailed response and it didn't go through...oh well. You'll be fine, trust that. You don't sound like you have hiv. I've tested multiple times and even past the conclusive 3 month point and all results were negative. My nodes are still swollen, but I'm not worried as tests outweigh symptoms.
    123xyz098 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi, I was wandering how your test went.Its just I had a condom break on me with a sex worker in Asia and I have noticed an emmflammed node below my ear and next to my jaw line as well. Its gone away but I now have one on my neck at the very top of the spine. Also had some pretty bad colds and asseinisitus past few months and I have currently got a throat infection. Souds like we have had very simmilar problems.I am beside myself with worry. I'm booked in for a test next week so I hope to god its all clear. worst mistake of lifeIf you could get back to me that would be brilliantAll tests were fine, you will be too.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement