Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Constant rectal pain/pressure

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 24 Replies
  • Posted By: envision_man
  • January 7, 2007
  • 04:40 AM

I am a 34 year-old male with no known medical problems (other than slightly high cholesterol). I am not overweight. I exercise fairly regularly and eat healthy foods for the most part. I am married with 3 kids.

For the last 5 days, I have had constant pressure in my rectum, and some minor pain. I always feel like I have to have a bowel movement (although nothing comes out). In addition to the pressure, I am experiencing a constant pain that is very deep in my rectum... it seems near my tailbone. It isn't a major pain, just about 4 out of 10. The pain/pressure is constant, day and night.

I am also experiencing a lot of gas... I seem to pass gas all day long. My stools have been mostly loose, although today I only had 1 bowel movement and it was rather normal.

For the last 24 hours I have been experiencing abdominal pain as well. It isn't horrific, but very irritating. It also never seems to go away.

I have no blood in my stools (that I can tell, anyway). I have had hemmeroids before, and this is definitely not that. The pain/pressure is way up inside me, and isn't effected by bowel movements or sex (or anything, for that matter). In the last few weeks, I have felt a 'pulsing' feeling in my colon or rectum that is not painful, just strange. THose episodes would last about 30 seconds, and felt like small muscle spasms. I don't know if this had anything to do with my current problem.

Any ideas? I am getting tired of this non-stop pain! Ugh.

Reply Flag this Discussion

24 Replies:

• I just wrote an email on this sight I just found today. (Wrong diagnosis.)It is on pg. 3 Under "What would you say is the rarest disease in the world?" It is a long letter for I have symptoms. But no gas pains. Serious, look it up and read what I wrote. It may help you. There is a name for it. Or for what I suffer from. monalissakay@yahoo.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 18, 2007
    • 08:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • try looking up "pelvic floor dysfunction" in a web search. These are some of the many classic symtpoms. More common in women than men, but can definitely happen to both.
    bestel63 3 Replies
    • January 20, 2007
    • 10:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Envision Man,It is strange I would stumble upon your concern. I am 36 years old with a similar lifestyle. I have been experiencing the same issues as you in the past week except for the internal spasms which I have not had. While researching the diagnosis of Pelvic Floor Dysfunction that another reader gave you, I stumbled across Prostatodynia. I would suggest going to https://www.farrlabs.com/condition/?keyword=prostatodynia and reading this. I think I might suggest this to my doctor and see what he thinks. Good Luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 31, 2007
    • 03:40 AM
    Flag this Response
  • You might want to have your prostate checked...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 7, 2007
    • 07:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Im no doctor but it sounds like you may have IBS.
    hunter 13 Replies
    • February 7, 2007
    • 10:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • IBS makes your colon spasm it will cause some pain in your rectum. it can make you constipated or it can make your stools very loose. bring this up with your doctor I would say this is your problem.
    hunter 13 Replies
    • February 7, 2007
    • 10:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had all test to man kind and I know I have proctal fugax. The problem is the dostor's do not know what it is and laugh it off. This is very extreme pain and can last for up to an hour or then maybe only a few seconds to minutes. It has nothing to do with a bowel movement. I know this is muscle spasms up inside the rectom. I wish someone would really research this. I know I am not the only person in the world to suffer from this horrific pain!It is terrible when no one cares, even my own Doctor just sighed...and did nothing for me.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 28, 2007
    • 06:54 AM
    Flag this Response
  • try looking this up "Levator Syndrome"
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi, I was wondering if you ever found out what was causing you that pain? I have the same problem and they are just saying that it is Colitis. The CT Scan came back normal, so did the Blood work, urinalysis, and even the Colonoscopy... just showed a little irratiation.. I'm so frustrated. It's just a constant pressure in the rectal area... not super painful, but very uncomfortable..any help apprectiated. thank you..Cris I am a 34 year-old male with no known medical problems (other than slightly high cholesterol). I am not overweight. I exercise fairly regularly and eat healthy foods for the most part. I am married with 3 kids. For the last 5 days, I have had constant pressure in my rectum, and some minor pain. I always feel like I have to have a bowel movement (although nothing comes out). In addition to the pressure, I am experiencing a constant pain that is very deep in my rectum... it seems near my tailbone. It isn't a major pain, just about 4 out of 10. The pain/pressure is constant, day and night. I am also experiencing a lot of gas... I seem to pass gas all day long. My stools have been mostly loose, although today I only had 1 bowel movement and it was rather normal. For the last 24 hours I have been experiencing abdominal pain as well. It isn't horrific, but very irritating. It also never seems to go away. I have no blood in my stools (that I can tell, anyway). I have had hemmeroids before, and this is definitely not that. The pain/pressure is way up inside me, and isn't effected by bowel movements or sex (or anything, for that matter). In the last few weeks, I have felt a 'pulsing' feeling in my colon or rectum that is not painful, just strange. THose episodes would last about 30 seconds, and felt like small muscle spasms. I don't know if this had anything to do with my current problem. Any ideas? I am getting tired of this non-stop pain! Ugh.
    cris143 1 Replies
    • January 5, 2009
    • 06:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • What you're describing is called tenemus(an urge to defecate but nothing happens).It can occur with inflammatory bowel disease,IBS,or colon cancer so get it checked out soon.
    richard wayne2b 1,232 Replies
    • January 5, 2009
    • 01:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • IT can also occur with a prolapsed hemorrhoid.celiac disease,or a whipworm infection.
    • January 5, 2009
    • 01:57 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• My mother has this same problem and her doctor will do nothing...just more pills and says he doesn't know what to do....she cries everyday...sometime for hours...I just don't know what to do.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 18, 2009
    • 04:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • The same thing I said previously goes for your mother,too.
    • February 19, 2009
    • 00:37 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am a 34 year-old male with no known medical problems (other than slightly high cholesterol). I am not overweight. I exercise fairly regularly and eat healthy foods for the most part. I am married with 3 kids. For the last 5 days, I have had constant pressure in my rectum, and some minor pain. I always feel like I have to have a bowel movement (although nothing comes out). In addition to the pressure, I am experiencing a constant pain that is very deep in my rectum... it seems near my tailbone. It isn't a major pain, just about 4 out of 10. The pain/pressure is constant, day and night. I am also experiencing a lot of gas... I seem to pass gas all day long. My stools have been mostly loose, although today I only had 1 bowel movement and it was rather normal. For the last 24 hours I have been experiencing abdominal pain as well. It isn't horrific, but very irritating. It also never seems to go away. I have no blood in my stools (that I can tell, anyway). I have had hemmeroids before, and this is definitely not that. The pain/pressure is way up inside me, and isn't effected by bowel movements or sex (or anything, for that matter). In the last few weeks, I have felt a 'pulsing' feeling in my colon or rectum that is not painful, just strange. THose episodes would last about 30 seconds, and felt like small muscle spasms. I don't know if this had anything to do with my current problem. Any ideas? I am getting tired of this non-stop pain! Ugh.I just read your post with great interest. I am a 45 year old female with similar symptoms, the muscle spasms are very bizarre and concerning to me. Did you have any luck with your diagnosis?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 6, 2009
    • 00:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i have a similar problem, i'm growing more and more concerned as time goes on as to what it is, it's just that for the past few days now every once in a while i will get a sharp, shooting pain in my rectum, it just about makes me cringe every time it occurs. and actually more recently, as in starting just a few hours ago i seem to get this pain whenever i pass gas. no itchiness, swelling or any other abdominal discomfort. i'm a 22 year old male and cannot afford to even *see* a doctor, let alone afford subsequent treatment. i just want to know if this is something anyone knows about and if it will possibly go away after time. thank you to anyone who is able to help me.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 1, 2009
    • 08:15 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, I was wondering if you ever found out what was causing you that pain? I have the same problem and they are just saying that it is Colitis. The CT Scan came back normal, so did the Blood work, urinalysis, and even the Colonoscopy... just showed a little irratiation.. I'm so frustrated. It's just a constant pressure in the rectal area... not super painful, but very uncomfortable..any help apprectiated. thank you..Crisi have also experienceed that same thing. got all the tests done and dr cant seem to find out whats wrong. i had heard from a friend in the heatlh proffession and she had the same thing and said the dr thinks its brought on by stress.. i work 3 jobs and am remodeling a house with time limits and so i would consider that stressful and now this little attack happens to me.. might be something to consider.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 21, 2010
    • 04:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have almost all those symptoms, I'm 27, overweight, but no health conditions that I'm aware of. Except this pressure, seems to make me want to urinate more. Especially when I've been sitting down drinking liquids, when I stand up, I have this intense urge to urinate. I haven't been to the doctor yet, I'm hoping a lot of fiber and water will clear this mess up. its going on nearly a week of these symptoms. This post is old, but I'm sure something happened since then.
  • Please locate a book by the name of A Headache in the Pelvis. This describes the type of pain you are experiencing and ways to manage it. It does seem to involve dysfunction of the pelvic floor muscles. Myofascial pain in the rectum area as well as trigger points. Hopefully this will help you to understand what is possibly going on with you and help you find a path to relief. This is a horrible problem that is mainly misdiagnosed or ignored by doctors. (for me anyway!) The book gives many personal accounts from several people with diffferent occupations and lifestyles. It helped me to understand many of the symptoms I have had and if this is the same or similiar thing for you - it could answer many questions for you and give you direction. Prayers to you for relief. Good luck!
  • Hi, I was wondering if you ever found out what was causing you that pain? I have the same problem and they are just saying that it is Colitis. The CT Scan came back normal, so did the Blood work, urinalysis, and even the Colonoscopy... just showed a little irratiation.. I'm so frustrated. It's just a constant pressure in the rectal area... not super painful, but very uncomfortable..any help apprectiated. thank you..CrisI have the same thing. Look up Levator Syndrome. I have constant pain. Doc referred me to a PT. Diagnosis is Proctalgia Fugax..rectal pain. Woke up in middle of night w/excruciating pain. Hope there are some exercises that will help. Can't rely on ibuprofen all day, every day. Will get back w/info after I see the PT. Dr. also prescribed muscle relaxant...not much help. I am a 64 yr. old woman, in good health other than this.
  • I am not being rude at all guys, But could any of this be caused by anal sex or penetration, or some form of strained constipation?
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement