Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

I don't know what to do about my underarm odor/perspiration

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 23 Replies
  • Posted By: wyteChocolit
  • January 7, 2007
  • 00:17 AM

I have tried every single deoderant out on the market and nothing is working anymore. I started off being able to use Secret, Degree, etc. then moved up to Lady Mitchum and Arm and Hammer. They used to work in the summer for me and then during the winter I could use regualr deoderant like secret. Recently about two to three years ago I had to start using Mitchum in winter too. Now no deoderant will work for me at all. I start sweating and have body odor. I went to the doctors and saw a Nurse Practitioner but she said she couldnt help because she's never heard of anything to do about a problem like this. I don't know what else to do or try Please help?! I also shower everyday, hygiene is not the problem.

Reply Flag this Discussion

23 Replies:

• Try a dermatologist. I know whenever I go to mine, there're pamphlets about it, and I think there's a Botox treatment that helps block some of the pores in your underarms to prevent sweat (=preventing odor.) But yeah, try a dermatologist, considering the odor is coming out of your skin. Otherwise, maybe an endocrinologist?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 7, 2007
    • 00:21 AM
    Flag this Response
  • There is a prescription deodorant that your dermatologist can give you for your type of underarm sweating. Also, botox works very well. FDA approved as of 4-06, some insurance companies pay for the procedure. Good Luck:) mv
    mvelez8735 4 Replies
    • January 7, 2007
    • 02:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Try a dermatologist. I know whenever I go to mine, there're pamphlets about it, and I think there's a Botox treatment that helps block some of the pores in your underarms to prevent sweat (=preventing odor.) But yeah, try a dermatologist, considering the odor is coming out of your skin. Otherwise, maybe an endocrinologist?Why would you block your pores?that is like throwing fresh concrete to your toilete.OP:People with body odor has mineral/ vitamin deficiency. Perhaps you need to inventory your diet or you have problems of absorption.Are you often constipated?You can take apple cider and epson salt baths- also use clay masks all over your body.How is the smell? acid, then you need to look at the acid/alkaline diet.rancid? you don't eat enough acid foods.metallic? you have internal putrefaction.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 7, 2007
    • 03:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi thereI have had a similar problem over the last few years and recently seem to have solved it. I began by trying a deodorant called Driclor which you can get on the net. This did solve the problem for a short time but soon things were back to normal. It also really irritated my skin. I do not recommend it. I then found a solution advertised on the net and paid for it cos I was so desperate. It basically suggested scrubbing your armpits daily and not using any soap at all. This coupled with a roll on deodorant (NOT an anti-perspirant) did the trick too. I didnt sweat at all but I did find that I began to smell pretty bad - It was a vast improvement though.Just recently I have been using an anti-perspirant again made by Sanex. I have stopped sweating. Sweat literally used to drip down my arms. Even in winter and made my life ***l. So I suggest you go thru a period of not using soap. Clean under arms with just water and use an aluminium free deodorant (I used Bionsen roll-on). Then after say three weeks try using Sanex Anti-perspirant. I think in my case this method gave my armpits time to get rid of all the toxins I had been plastering up there. I really hope this may work for you. Any questions just ask. Good luck
    bbmoto 2 Replies
    • January 7, 2007
    • 01:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Sounds like you have hyper-hydrosis. I was diagnosed with it 2 years ago. I was prescribed something called Aluminum Chloride (Hexahydrate) 20%. It worked great. It's a liquid you put on your underarms before you go to bed and wash it off in the morning. The only bad part is that it itches pretty bad. But it really helped with the sweating. You should ask your doctor about it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 14, 2007
    • 02:01 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I worked with a man years ago who had the profuse sweating and odor and he did have a medical condition which I do not know the name of so it does exist medically. Maybe go on the symptoms list on the site here and see what comes up. Good luck.:)
    nccarol28732 44 Replies
    • January 14, 2007
    • 03:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hyperhidrosis go to link www.excessivesweating.org and ther is info I always use www.ask.com and plug in what I am looking for and good sites come up. They mention Maxim deordorant for this condition too on some sites and other treatments also. Hope this helps
    nccarol28732 44 Replies
    • January 14, 2007
    • 04:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Sounds like you have hyper-hydrosis. I was diagnosed with it 2 years ago. I was prescribed something called Aluminum Chloride (Hexahydrate) 20%. It worked great. It's a liquid you put on your underarms before you go to bed and wash it off in the morning. The only bad part is that it itches pretty bad. But it really helped with the sweating. You should ask your doctor about it.Aluminum is very toxic.Never put on your skin something that you would not put in your mouth.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 14, 2007
    • 05:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi thereI have had a similar problem over the last few years and recently seem to have solved it. I began by trying a deodorant called Driclor which you can get on the net. This did solve the problem for a short time but soon things were back to normal. It also really irritated my skin. I do not recommend it. I then found a solution advertised on the net and paid for it cos I was so desperate. It basically suggested scrubbing your armpits daily and not using any soap at all. This coupled with a roll on deodorant (NOT an anti-perspirant) did the trick too. I didnt sweat at all but I did find that I began to smell pretty bad - It was a vast improvement though.Just recently I have been using an anti-perspirant again made by Sanex. I have stopped sweating. Sweat literally used to drip down my arms. Even in winter and made my life ***l. So I suggest you go thru a period of not using soap. Clean under arms with just water and use an aluminium free deodorant (I used Bionsen roll-on). Then after say three weeks try using Sanex Anti-perspirant. I think in my case this method gave my armpits time to get rid of all the toxins I had been plastering up there. I really hope this may work for you. Any questions just ask. Good luckI think this info is good for everyone.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 14, 2007
    • 05:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • There is a great deodorant called Crystal which is natural sea salts that will fix this problem. You can purchase it as a roll-on deodorant or in a salt block. It will work and resolve this issue. I had this problem for years and when I began using this product it has NEVER returned. It is not an antiperspirant so I use both. The Crystal first though.........You can purchase this as Walgreens.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Does this new sweat smell like regular sweat? or does it have an unusual odor..slightly sweetish. There is a drug called Robinal that's side effect is decreased sweating. Maybe hyperthyroidism. P.S., that is one stupid nurse (or did you say PA?). All you have to do is look on the internet for hyperhydrosis to see that many have this problem. Possibly bathing in some kind of anti-bacterial soap like Dial might help.
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Here is the only healthy solution I know of, accept the fact sweating is normal and healthy, some men sweat more than others, do not prevent your skin from breathing and perspiring by the excessive use of anti perspire spray or roll on, before bathing in the morning use WHITE VINEGAR under the armpits then bathe as normal, if you experience skin irritation then use a diluted solution of vinegar.You will still sweat but you wont have the bad odor.
    Chasani 2 Replies
    • February 22, 2009
    • 05:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you, My intention was to post some practical advice not professional knowledge.For those who might be collecting information about the odor problem "I am sixty five years old and have never suffered with depression or short term memory disturbances.
    Chasani 2 Replies
    • February 22, 2009
    • 11:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I used to reek whenever I sweated... something genetic in my case as my father and one of my two children have the same horrid odour. (so bad that others comment on it). My father used to shower a couple of times a day due to it and i too used to do that when weather was hotter and hence i'd go reeking so much. Deoderants wouldnt work for us... I tried the cystal one like a poster suggested here but that didnt work at all.. within half an hr i'd be smelling again. I also tried things such as lavender essential oil. When showering I always needed to scrub my underarms with soap on brush as just washing with soap under the shower doesnt get rid of the odour. One thing which did get rid of the odour.. but only for a very short time eg 20-30 mins..was wiping with one of those antibacterial swabs hospitals have. This was the only way i could get rid of underarm odour without having to hot shower and soap and scrub under the arms with a toothbrush. Excluding all meat from my diet makes the odour less in my case. (so i guess my body isnt breaking down something properly??) Several months ago I started having twice weekly vitamin B injections for other issues I have and with that after a week I noticed that I dont stink no more :) . I dont have to now change my t-shirt again (at times I was having to do that several times due to smell.. showering again and changing). It's been months now and with the injections Im now living without smelling. :) (I havent even heard or read of anyone else say these injections do that.. but on theory this does make sense too as B12 can help get rid of some body toxins).*the form of B12 injections Im using are hydroxocobalamin not cyancobalmin which itself contains toxin and doesnt help things clear out as well
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies
    • February 23, 2009
    • 02:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Don't know if anyone is still posting to this thread. I am having this problem, not to the degree some of you are, but I tend to sweat a lot (not just under my arms) especially when nervous or when it is even slightly hot or humid. I even tend to sweat more at night, but there is no pattern to it and my doc doesn't think it is menopause, although I don't think she is right. Just for the record, I gained a bunch of weight in a relatively short period of time, too. My docs all tested me for thyroid and blood sugar and claim I'm fine, but I think something is up. Maybe my thyroid? Anyway, if I sweat even a little excessively, I end up with mild or sometimes bad b.o. I shower regularly. I don't use antibacterial soaps because I have very sensitive skin, plus I believe it is unhealthy to bombard our bodies with antibacterial agents. I also use Crystal deodorant which is not an antiperspirant, I know, but it is healthier as it does not contain aluminum. I have used may other deodorants/antiperspirants in the past. I'm allergic to most of them and break out in a really bad rash. So, I stick with what I find that doesn't harm me. I've been using this for a few years, but I've had this problem while using past (stronger) deodorants, too. Anyway, as the last poster mentioned B12 shots, I was wondering, do you think sublingual B12 would help? I'm not financially able to be seeing doctors right now. Plus I don't like needles.
  • Hello... I also have hyperhidrosis. had seen 2 derma MDs, they recommended solutions antipers with clindamycin... all worked but for short-term... They said it is all but normal... but it is really putting me down. I am working as a lecturer/instructor, and I observe I sweat the most when I am at work (esp when lecturing) while less to none when I am just with my family/friends... I even snap on how they do the laundry since the odor does not come off completely even after washing. I guess I am anxious. Maybe it is that thermal dysregulation since it is no different (even worse) when there is air conditioning compared hot/humid... I am more confident when I am just using an elec. fan... And there is a peculiar smell that is the same with the odor from the nipples and even down there... apocrine??? How do we control that? Haist... please help... really getting depressed on this. Thank you!
    mumwifecareerwman 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Aluminum is very toxic.Never put on your skin something that you would not put in your mouth.I would not put DMAE in my mouth... but its good for skin...
    Plastikfear 64 Replies Flag this Response
  • If you ever watch Mystery Diagnosis, there was a lady with a similar problem. She was first diagnosed with Hyperhydrosis and they removed her sweat glands. Her final diagnosis was I think called TrimethylaMinuria (TMAU). It is controlled by the foods you eat. I know fish was one of the foods she couldn't eat. You can do a search on the Mystery Diagnosis or email them about the episode. The lady's name was Cheryl Marshall.
    lazenby5 9 Replies Flag this Response
  • Similarly, odor is a battle I also have and I have very good hygiene as well. Mine is caused by my conditions. First, I would have it checked out medically ... lymph and endocrine systems, perhaps others as well ... and make sure nothing is physically, medically, causing it. I'd schedule with my primary care provider and have it looked into, and then based on the cause .... would request a product.
    neurotransmissing 145 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hey there! I have the same problem and someone told me to get a product called certain dri.... you use it at night after you shower and it last until the next day. I also use the certain dri am for the morning just to get a fresh start. I have talked to the doctors and they recommend getting the botox treatment but this works for now and it works good! You can get it at Walmart for 5 dollars. I have tried every single deoderant out on the market and nothing is working anymore. I started off being able to use Secret, Degree, etc. then moved up to Lady Mitchum and Arm and Hammer. They used to work in the summer for me and then during the winter I could use regualr deoderant like secret. Recently about two to three years ago I had to start using Mitchum in winter too. Now no deoderant will work for me at all. I start sweating and have body odor. I went to the doctors and saw a Nurse Practitioner but she said she couldnt help because she's never heard of anything to do about a problem like this. I don't know what else to do or try Please help?! I also shower everyday, hygiene is not the problem.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement